Anyone using Ford Smartphone app for remote start with 2016 Edge?

After reading some of the Carplay stuff in the Audio/Sync sub-forums, I'm now wondering if the Edge (2016) can have remote start via Smartphone app?

I *thought* if you bought the remote access/security kit thingy you could get that?

At least this seems to indicate you can?

https://accessories.ford.com/aerial-asy-10667.html

(with additional purchase of:

Requires Vehicle Security Kit 19A361 at an additional cost.)

Anyone out there actually have this and can confirm it works?

Not talking aftermarket/third party (Viper, etc.).

• 3 weeks later...

I have this installed and working on my 2012 edge. But, it has no relationship to CarPlay or sync 3.

It's simply an add on to an existing remote start system that has a SIM card cellular module. I'm paying $40/year for the service.

Great! So did you have to buy the 2-way remote and the security modules as well?

I did a full write up here;

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17035-adding-oem-remote-start-kits-parts-explained-detailed-2011/page-1

I purchased an all in one kit that had the vss/rst and remote access device (cellular component with SIM card).

You don't need a two way remote/fob if you are using the remote access/smartphone

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's escape came with this for free through app called ford pass. She actually has a modem in the trunk cargo area on ATT network. Much more flexibility than the fob start on my '16 edge. But then again this is first time I've had remote start so I won't complain too much!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It's probably safe to assume that if they only charge $40 per year, they're not going to want you using any more bandwidth than what it takes to remote start and even if it could be hacked to provide more access, they would turn it off as soon as they saw the usage.

A data connection to support a wi-fi hotspot would cost at least $10/month.

For remote start/status/location etc it appears they're using SMS Text thus the low cost (it's free on certain Lincolns - no monthly charge).