Dealer Special vs. X-Plan

cmoses

I have been looking for an 2008 Edge Limited and am getting close to pulling the trigger. My local dealer has been very helpful.

In this last Sunday's auto section another local dealer ran an ad with a special on a 2008 Edge SE. The ad also states "SAVE $5000 ON EVERY NEW 2008 EDGE". This is the second week I have seen this in the auto section. I called and talked to their internet manager and he said that the $5000 off included the current $1500.00 Retail Customer Cash Rebate. He said that they were offering that special on all the Edges on their lot. That would bring an Edge Limited on their lot that is similar to the one that I have been looking at with a sticker price of $36,725 down to $31,725.

The same car with X-Plan pricing is $34,488, plus $1500 Customer Cash Rebate brings the price down to $32,988. So it is still $1263 more than the dealer special.

I am just surprised that the dealer special is so much more off than the X-Plan pricing. Am I missing something? I haven't been in to talk to a sales person and am concerned that I am missing something or they are going to try to pull something? It just seems to be too good of a deal. I am also wondering if the dealer that I have been using would match that special. They have a similar deal on a SE in their ad, but nothing about that kind of deal on ALL Edges.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this or questions I need to ask and verify. I think this $5000 off trumps just about any other deal I have seen, even stacking multiple rebates. I have seen nothing here in Texas about the Conquest Cash Rebate that others have talked about.

Clayton

I have seen nothing here in Texas about the Conquest Cash Rebate that others have talked about.

Clayton

on this note... we did not have it officially on the Ford website here in SoCal.. yet I got it. I just told them I would be doing CC and showed up with my title and they did it - I did not ask, just acted like I knew I could do it. it worked. try it, 1500 would then swing it.

I would be skeptical. They may tell you that you have to qualify for every rebate to get $5,000 off. You could go in there and have it priced out just for fun. Nail down every cost up front.

We had a dealer out hear who advertised "25% off New Fords". They had a pricing example: "MSRP-25%=Sell Price" I went in and they said they would not give me 25% off a New Ford Edge. They said the ad did not say "every" new Ford. On top of that, they said I had to qualify for a bunch of rebates to come close to (but not ever acheive) 25% off.

I walked out. Thought about reporting them to the BB, but just moved on with life instead.

I have been looking for an 2008 Edge Limited and am getting close to pulling the trigger. My local dealer has been very helpful.

In this last Sunday's auto section another local dealer ran an ad with a special on a 2008 Edge SE. The ad also states "SAVE $5000 ON EVERY NEW 2008 EDGE". This is the second week I have seen this in the auto section. I called and talked to their internet manager and he said that the $5000 off included the current $1500.00 Retail Customer Cash Rebate. He said that they were offering that special on all the Edges on their lot. That would bring an Edge Limited on their lot that is similar to the one that I have been looking at with a sticker price of $36,725 down to $31,725.

The same car with X-Plan pricing is $34,488, plus $1500 Customer Cash Rebate brings the price down to $32,988. So it is still $1263 more than the dealer special.

I am just surprised that the dealer special is so much more off than the X-Plan pricing. Am I missing something? I haven't been in to talk to a sales person and am concerned that I am missing something or they are going to try to pull something? It just seems to be too good of a deal. I am also wondering if the dealer that I have been using would match that special. They have a similar deal on a SE in their ad, but nothing about that kind of deal on ALL Edges.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this or questions I need to ask and verify. I think this $5000 off trumps just about any other deal I have seen, even stacking multiple rebates. I have seen nothing here in Texas about the Conquest Cash Rebate that others have talked about.

Clayton

Hi Clayton. :D "Usually", these offers always have catches. For example, they will include Rebates and Incentives like the "College Grad Rebate", "Senior Citizen Rebate", "Owner Loyalty Rebates" etc etc, which most people will not/cannot qualify for.

While a buyer will sometimes be able to get a "better than X-Plan" deal of certain models (usually on slow moving hard to sell models, or previous model year leftovers), it is not a common occurrence.

You will never know for sure until you go into the Dealership, sit down, and have them work up the "Out the Door" price of an Edge you are interested in. Be sure they have included every extra "Fee" and "Charge" that will be on the "Final Purchase Contract". In other words, the final amount you will need to fork over to walk "out the door" owning your Edge. They will likely be charging you anywhere from $400 on up in "extra" fees on this retail purchase, plus little Dealer added extras like "Window Etching", "Paint Sealant" etc etc, that will drive up the price.

Then, compare that "Out the Door" price to the X-Plan price (remember to deduct all Incentives you qualify for under the X-plan). Keep in mind that other than a $75 maximum "Documentation Fee", the Dealer cannot charge you any other fees or charges on an X-Plan purchase.

It may be a good deal, it may not. It may be limited to certain demo vehicles, it may not. You can only find out by going to the Dealer and asking the tough questions there. Just keep your eyes open, as more often than not, these deals turn out to be scams.

Let us know how things turn out, and good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530