AutoUnlock

I'm not sure if this is working correctly: I have it set to "enabled" and the door unlocks (driver's) when I pull the handle to open the door. Same thing for the other doors. (They unlock indivdually). Is this how it's supposed to work? I get the impression from the manual that doors should unlock either when the tranny is placed in park or when the key is removed. The manual is not very clear about what is supposed to happen with this feature enabled. For that matter, how is it supposed to work with it --disabled--? (push unlock button to open the doors?)

Just looking for input on how it's working on other Edges'.

Thank you

My view on this is

Open driver door - all doors unlock. Open passenger door - only passenger door unlock. Open read doors - you are locked in (unless you pull lock plunger up).

Autounlock

This feature automatically unlocks all vehicle doors when the driver’s

door is opened within 10 minutes of the ignition being turned off.

Solas

I'm not sure if this is working correctly: I have it set to "enabled" and the door unlocks (driver's) when I pull the handle to open the door. Same thing for the other doors. (They unlock indivdually). Is this how it's supposed to work? I get the impression from the manual that doors should unlock either when the tranny is placed in park or when the key is removed. The manual is not very clear about what is supposed to happen with this feature enabled. For that matter, how is it supposed to work with it --disabled--? (push unlock button to open the doors?)

Just looking for input on how it's working on other Edges'.

Thank you

The manual is quite clear:

Autounlock

This feature automatically unlocks all vehicle doors when the driver’s

door is opened within 10 minutes of the ignition being turned off.

The front doors on all Ford vehicles will unlock and open if you just pull the handle. The rear doors will not (this is different from the child safety locks). This feature, if enabled, will unlock all doors when you OPEN the driver's door (not when you put it in park or remove the key). I have this turned on in my Fusion and it works exactly that way.

Actually, that's the AutoLock feature. Related, but totally separate from the AutoUnlock feature.

Now I am confused! Do they unlock in the autounlock or lock in the autolock, or is it unlock in lock and lock in unlock.

When the feature is activated mine has to hit 12 miles per hour to auto lock all doors and when I stop, put in park, and take the key out all my doors unlock, even the rear hatch. Maybe it's because mine is Orange, kinda like what I have for a brain...............an Orange!

Now I am confused! Do they unlock in the autounlock or lock in the autolock, or is it unlock in lock and lock in unlock.

When the feature is activated mine has to hit 12 miles per hour to auto lock all doors and when I stop, put in park, and take the key out all my doors unlock, even the rear hatch. Maybe it's because mine is Orange, kinda like what I have for a brain...............an Orange!

AutoLock locks all the doors after you reach a certain speed. AutoUnlock unlocks all the doors when you stop the car and open the drivers door. Your doors don't unlock when you pull the key out - they unlock when you open the door.

Mine are not working as others have stated here. The doors lock at 12 mph like they are supposed to. HOWEVER, the passenger can open their door (and unlock) just by pulling the handle. I have set it according to the manual (several times) and it still acts the same. Something has changed, or the manual is wrong. The drivers door action, putting it in park, turning the key to various settings or removing it, isn't dictating anything in my car. Pull the passenger door handle at anytime, the door unlocks and out you go.

AutoLock locks all the doors after you reach a certain speed. AutoUnlock unlocks all the doors when you stop the car and open the drivers door. Your doors don't unlock when you pull the key out - they unlock when you open the door.

You are correct, My post was incorrect. You must open the door before they unlock. My Bad, sorry for the confusion.

Mine are not working as others have stated here. The doors lock at 12 mph like they are supposed to. HOWEVER, the passenger can open their door (and unlock) just by pulling the handle. I have set it according to the manual (several times) and it still acts the same. Something has changed, or the manual is wrong. The drivers door action, putting it in park, turning the key to various settings or removing it, isn't dictating anything in my car. Pull the passenger door handle at anytime, the door unlocks and out you go.

That's the way Ford doors have worked as long as I can remember. This has nothing to do with automatic or power door locks. The front doors can be opened by just using the handle whether they are locked or not. This allows for a quick exit in an emergency. There is a manual connection from the handle to the door lock so both operate together. Note the rear doors don't do this (for child safety reasons I imagine). Also note that manually opening a front door has no effect on the other doors - they stay locked.

• 3 months later...
This feature, if enabled, will unlock all doors when you OPEN the driver's door (not when you put it in park or remove the key).

Also note that manually opening a front door has no effect on the other doors - they stay locked.

isn't this a total contradiction? at first you say if the feature is enabeled, ALL doors will unlock IF you open the drivers door first and then later you say manually opening a front door has no affect on other doors? :huh:

anyway... the manual is confusing on this and I am no sure if my car is working correct. The manual clearly says that both autounlock and autolock can be turned on/off independant of each other. BUT, in my car, turning on 1 effects the other. that is, if I turn on autolock it will turn off autounlock and vice versa.. I cannot have them both turned on - does this seem like a flaw in my car or the manual??

This became very annoying as my parents were in town and though I like autolock for safety, when we stopped the car and opened the drivers door, they were always locked in the back :) which became a PITA as I had to keep hitting the luck/unlock button (as there is no button in the rears for them to hit obviously). and this seems to stem from the fact I cannot, in fact, set both of those systems to activated?

as I understand it, basically, if I set autolock the doors to "on" it should lock when we reach 12mph and if I set (or were able to) the autounlock feature also to "on" when we stopped and I opened the drivers door FIRST, all doors, even the rears, should unlock and be openable by the back seat people? but what happens if a person in the back seat is faster than you and pulls the handle before you do as the driver? once you pull yours would theirs then unlock or is it forever locked on them since they tried it before you had unlocked yours?

UPDATE: okay.. maybe I found a bug in the system. IF I go through the setup and select Autolock "on" and then move next to Autounlock and set it to "on", it will disengage the Autolock feature and when I come back in the menu, it will be turned off. As per above as I claimed. Now, I tried this like 5 times and same thing every time. If I set the Autolock to "on" first and then tried to set Autounlock to "on" it alwayas turned off Autolock. BUT.. if I reversed the order and allowed the Autolock to be set to "off" when I turned the Autounlock to "on" and then came back around to Autolock and moved it from "off" back to the desired "on", it stayed! So, the point is, in my car, I had to set Autounlock to "on" first and then go back to set Autolock to "on" to be able to have them both "on"... get it?

Edited by Lex Talionis

isn't this a total contradiction?

The way you posted it - yes, but you took them out of context. One post was referring to how the autounlock feature works relative to opening the driver's door.

The second was a response to Williston about being able to open the *passenger* door even when the doors were locked. I should have added the caveat that Ford's allow you to open the front doors whether they are locked or not and that opening them has no effect on the rear door locks unless the autounlock feature is enabled - if so then opening the driver's door will unlock all the doors.