Chrome wheels

dckotwicki

I have an 07 edge with the optional (+$750) 18 inch chrome wheels.

The vehicle has just over 5000 miles and the wheels are showning corosion.

The location is just beyond the plastic chrome peice kinda sorta opposite

the tire bead. The paint is coming off and it is turning black.

My dealer contacted Ford and they are going to replace them. My concern is that

the same issue will come up next winter again.

Anybody else have this issue?

It is on all four wheels.

The vehicle is driven in the suburbs by my wife.

Nothing goofy got on the rims. :banghead:

I`m seeing the same thing with my 18 inch wheels (all four). It`s right on the outside edge of the rim, beyond the plastic chrome. As of yet I`ve not brought it up with the dealer, but I might have to if it doesn`t clean off.

Edited by vino125

I have an 07 edge with the optional (+$750) 18 inch chrome wheels.

The vehicle has just over 5000 miles and the wheels are showning corosion.

The location is just beyond the plastic chrome peice kinda sorta opposite

the tire bead. The paint is coming off and it is turning black.

My dealer contacted Ford and they are going to replace them. My concern is that

the same issue will come up next winter again.

Anybody else have this issue?

It is on all four wheels.

The vehicle is driven in the suburbs by my wife.

Nothing goofy got on the rims. :banghead:

If it is like mine, it wont clean off.

I am wondering how many times Ford will replace these under warranty???

This is a common problem with Chrome rims. Apparently moving to plastic Chrome does NOT solve the issues - it is a shame as I had hoped this would solve the problem with Chromes because they are higher maintenance.

Ways to prevent are:

1) Keep clean - salt and brake dust are the evils here.

2) Keep it waxed - yes waxing plastic rims - seems funny to me. Sounds like hot wheels. However it seems like the Aluminum is corroding..??

3) There are chrome polishers - but they are for metal - no idea how they will work on plastic.

Now that being said - I would suggest IF you are under warranty - just replace them if you trust your service department.

My $0.01.

Solas

Oh boy, I guess this is what I have to look forward to. I bet Ford left the aluminum bare to save money because they glue on the chrome cover. There won't be much savings if they have to replace the wheels under warranty. If I have to replace mine, I'm going with the premium painted 18s.

And here I was wishing that my MKX had the chrome wheels instead of the aluminum.I guess it's true to be careful what you wish for.You would think that a company that has been around for 100 years could figure out how to make a chrome wheel that is as good a some small wheel company.Hopefully your dealer doesn't give you any grief.Good luck

i have an 08 sel with 18" chrome clads, got it on 1-12-08 has 1200+ mi on it. cleaned it up yesterday noticed water under clearcoat on the edge of 2 wheels and some black spots on the other 2. Took it back to dealer today and they checked them and wrote an order for 4 new wheels for me no hassle. I ask him what happens if this happens again and he said hopefully these were just defective. While service mgr and i were talking a girl came in laughing, said she almost got in my car except it was clean, looked out and she had a black sel just like mine.we talked a minute and conversation got into the wheel problem. She said she had the same wheels so the service mgr said lets go look at yours and i will show you what to watch for. Anyway we got out to her car and her wheels were worse than mine so i think she is getting a new set also.I dont particularly like the 18" painted wheels but if the next set does this i may try to work a deal for them. Just depends on what dealer will do about the $400 difference between chrome and painted ones. i will keep all informed as to the outcome of this. cattman

I have the same problem on all 4 rims of my 07 Edge which currently has 5200 miles. The clear coat on the edge of the rim is blistering up and chipping off. Severe black discoloration. Live in Pennsylvania...with a cold winter with lots of road salt seem to blame....this is no excuse for Ford's so called "PREMIUM WHEELS"! What a rip!!! on a $33,000 vehicle. Going to dealership and hoping for full replacement! Will I have this same problem again next winter with the new replacements??? :banghead:

I have the same problem on all 4 rims of my 07 Edge which currently has 5200 miles. The clear coat on the edge of the rim is blistering up and chipping off. Severe black discoloration. Live in Pennsylvania...with a cold winter with lots of road salt seem to blame....this is no excuse for Ford's so called "PREMIUM WHEELS"! What a rip!!! on a $33,000 vehicle. Going to dealership and hoping for full replacement! Will I have this same problem again next winter with the new replacements??? :banghead:

Service manager talked to Ford rep, they are aware of this problem. Service manager said it will take 1 month until he is able to order the new chrome rims for me...because Ford wants to purge out the old ones. No reason why this problem is occurring yet!?!?! Just happy to be getting new rims. Owners of this problem....please note!...your Edge must be within warranty to qualify for this....which is 1 year or 12,000miles. Good luck to all.

Edited by cavlovc1

Service manager talked to Ford rep, they are aware of this problem. Service manager said it will take 1 month until he is able to order the new chrome rims for me...because Ford wants to purge out the old ones. No reason why this problem is occurring yet!?!?! Just happy to be getting new rims. Owners of this problem....please note!...your Edge must be within warranty to qualify for this....which is 1 year or 12,000miles. Good luck to all.

Is the wheel warranty different than the B2B which is 3yr 36,000?

We had a decent day here in NE Ohio about a week ago. I decided to wash and wax my 08 Edge. It took me 2 hours to clean and polish "just" the plastic chrome on the 4 wheels and 1 hour to clean and polish the WHOLE Car. I also have the Black and White Corrosion on all 4 of my wheels on the outer edge. I'm not sure exactly what it was that was on the Chrome but it was a real PIA to get off. It looked like corrosion or brake dust. The corrosion the the outer edge will NOT come off. My in service date is Nov 07 and I have 3800 miles on the car. I work at a Ford Dealer and I've contacted my Ford CSM and she made it sound like it won't be a problem to replace the 4 wheels. I took some digital pictures and emailed them to her and I'm just waiting to hear back.

I really do like my 08 Edge though.

Dom

Hello..

I am, a new member of this forum and I am a longtime Ford owner. Since 1986, I have owned a 1986 F150, a 1992 Explorer, a 1997 F150 4x4 and presently own a 2006 Mustang GT and a 2007 Edge SEL AWD.

I joined this forum to check is there was anyone else was having a problem with the "chrome clad" wheels on their Edge.

I am a clean car gfanatic and own my own detailing venture on the side ( I am a career firefighter). We are allowed to wash our private vehicles int he firehouse on nights and weekends. The vehicle has never been through an car wash and has been meticoulously hand washed since we bought it in October of 2007. I noticed this problem about a month ago.

I spoke with my dealership's service writer about this, he stated that there has been a problem with this wheel combo. The Edge goes in for a sunroof repair ( I'll post in another thread) and to check out the wheel problem.

Edited by DaGonz

anyone have trouble w/ the replaced under warranty wheels yet. i'll ASSume they'll be the exact same wheel. so after the warranty ends so does the wheels. :(

I too got new wheels replacing the old ones. I noticed they are more solid upon knocking lightly on them. The old ones had a plastic-like sound. Perhaps the chrome wasn't glued on tightly enough...new wheels are always great to look at, let's hope we won't have to deal with the same problem again next winter (p.s. Toronto had the worst snow accumulation in 70 years!)

Bulldog I would agree and can only hope these are better made, however I seriously doubt it. The Powder Coating on my aluminum blistered and came off leaving the Aluminum bare and it tarnished.

While they were checking these wheels of mine they were rotating also. I wanted to see what the deal is with the Chrome Cover Piece and it is in Fact Metal contrary to popular belief of plastic.

I have 15K on my Edge and plan to run these wheels through next winter and see how they do. Then I will probably purchase some after market wheels, if these turn out the same way.

I like your Icon. I have many Harley Rings and chokers with that similar Skull Head on it. Too many according to the Misses.

Thanks for the info about the wheels. I never noticed the corrosion until all you nice folks mentioned it. My dealer is going to replace 3 of them for me. I have to buy the 4th one because my bride put the Edge in the ditch during the last snow storm and dinged up the right front wheel. Ford won't replace anything that's damaged. The good news is my pretty wife wasn't hurt and there wasn't a scratch put on the Edge. The bad news is a few days later the car wash put about 10 scratches on the passenger side doors.

Add me to the list too. I just went to the dealer today, they took pics so they can submit a claim. While I was there one of the service guys said thier wheels are doing it too.

I was looking at the 08 20 inch wheels while I was there and noticed the whole face is crome clad (in other words they don't have the aluminum rim). I wonder if instead of getting new 18 inch wheels I could pay the difference and upgrade to the 20's? I don't know, I'm not really happy with just getting new rims if they are just going to do it again.

Does anyone know what FORD's "remedy" is to improving these very expensive "hubcaps"?

Hopefully they did some testing in some Northern states in the winter this time around.

It's almost embarrassing driving the Edge with these rims. The car looks spotless, but those rims look like something off a 20 year old vehicle that was never maintained.

Aside from the corrosion around the outer lip of all 4 rims, the "tarnishing" of the chrome is nothing new to FORD. I remember the same thing happening to the center "chrome" caps on my 1997 & 2000 F-150 trucks.

I hope the new batch of rims fix the problem because I don't want to be going through this problem every spring!!

BTW, I'm in Michigan.....and yes, I do keep my car washed throughout the winter.

Edited by Dig67