Chrome wheels

dckotwicki

Count me in TOO!!.. Rims ordered today....

Edge was at Ford dealer for collision repairs ($4495 for complete bumper and exhaust system)... took the collisions manager out to the car to take a look.. and he says "that's pretty bad"...

10000 miles on it.. 1 winter...

But.. I have my Edge back... and OOOOOOOOOOOooo so nice after driving a very noisy Explorer for a week...

Count me in TOO!!.. Rims ordered today....

Edge was at Ford dealer for collision repairs ($4495 for complete bumper and exhaust system)... took the collisions manager out to the car to take a look.. and he says "that's pretty bad"...

10000 miles on it.. 1 winter...

But.. I have my Edge back... and OOOOOOOOOOOooo so nice after driving a very noisy Explorer for a week...

Did anyone post pics on what this can look like? I have noticed a little issue but at what point did you get the service guy to agree to replace? Pics would help. Thanks!

My spots are located at the rim edge near the actual tire.

They look like blacken spots (raised bumps) and you might feel cracklin when pressing with a finger

Looks kinda like a mold spot... does not come off.. not dirt..

Sounds like the way mine started out and just got worse. Took Edge to dealer today and they took one look and said they would order new wheels. Hope the replacements are better quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this corrosion on all four of my wheels also. Was told wheels are on national backorder and unsure how long untill shipped. Also check the chrome around your foglights, I have heard they are having issues with those also, although mine are ok for now. Other than that, I really do love my Edge and at least it sounds like they are going to take care of the problem.

Kind of add me to this list too. I just looked for it today and it is pretty bad around the rim. Also the chrome itself is dulled, pitted and has rust spots all over it. 4,200 miles on them. Oh, and the fog lamp chrome is peeling away from the housing as well. Really hope they don't give me a hard time about the wheels.

anyone have trouble w/ the replaced under warranty wheels yet. i'll ASSume they'll be the exact same wheel. so after the warranty ends so does the wheels. :(

Ford replaced my wheels this week. Not sure, but they look just like the old ones. I'm hoping they improved the clear coat process :shades:

Sadly this is the kind of stuff that tears into profit margins and makes great companies unprofitable. I have an '08 MKX with less than 1G on it and noticed that the chrome isn't consistent on the rims, there is brass showing in the corners. I'll point it out at first service though I'm not sure they'll replace them.

• 4 weeks later...

Done. Rims replaced today. Now... how long will they last?

I should say - this was a good one for Ford to replace - they could have copped on those of us in snowy areas and blame it on winter salting - so I am not complaining one bit about the replacement.

I do remember specifically asking my dealer - how do I look after those? he said nothing. I said ok.

They will likely peel - he said NAAAAAAAAhhhh...

My experience with any aluminum rim - just a matter of time. My first car was GM - and the rims pitted after 1 winter - no replacement from GM at all.

Edited by Edgy Girl

Done. Rims replaced today. Now... how long will they last?

I should say - this was a good one for Ford to replace - they could have copped on those of us in snowy areas and blame it on winter salting - so I am not complaining one bit about the replacement.

I do remember specifically asking my dealer - how do I look after those? he said nothing. I said ok.

They will likely peel - he said NAAAAAAAAhhhh...

My experience with any aluminum rim - just a matter of time. My first car was GM - and the rims pitted after 1 winter - no replacement from GM at all.

Hi Edgy Girl. :D Glad to hear you did not have a problem with replacement. But then again, they certainly should be replaced under warranty.

Your wheels should be cleaned and cared for the same way as your cars paint finish.

Wash them with a good quality car wash soap. Apply and buff off a coat of good quality car wax (I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax). Brake dust is highly abrasive and corrosive, so ideally you should wax your wheels each time you wax your car.

Do not use spray on mag wheel cleaners, aluminum wheel cleaners, or any other acidic type of wheel cleaner.

Essentially, you should treat your wheels just like your paint finish. If you would not use a product on your paint, do not use it on your wheels.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Dealer replaced the wheels on my '07 Edge with 9k miles no questions asked. A speed sensor went bad the day before my appointment so they took care of that at the same time. The total bill was $1931.32 to Ford and the new wheels look identical to the ones replaced. I am happy that they took care of my problem since I did pay extra for these premium wheels, but I can't believe they aren't going to remove the lip on the 18" wheels as they have the 20" chrome clad ones.

Edited by Edgey1

Took the Edge in for service this morning. Asked about my 18s clear coat chipping off. The dealership I go to is a small mom and pop dealership, but they have already seen 5 others doing the same thing. They said they would note the problem on in my vehicle records, but would not be replacing them right away. When asked why, they said they have replaced 2 sets already for other owners and (1) set has come back with the same problem already and the 2nd replacement set they got they looked at the casting numbers or something, and they are still the old numbers or something, so they are waiting a while until the old castings are purged from the system and the new ones are being shipped. So no new rims for me yet.

They also told me it doesn't appear to be a rust belt area issue. They said there are multiple dealers in the southern states that have had the same problem, and they also said that one of the Edges that came in with the wheel issue has never seen snow or salt. The owner goes south in the winter and parks the Edge in a heated garage.

I did ask about getting the solid aluminum rims from the 08 SEL instead of the chrome clad rims, but they weren't sure and would have to check into it.

This whole wheel thing kind of pisses me off. When I bought the Edge I was asking about the chrome clad wheels. I was asking about them because I had a 1998 Ranger that had the chrome clad wheels. It did the same thing the Edge rims are doing, except the rims where steel and started to rust. So you had a nice chrome hub cap with a rusty lip. But I was assured when I bought the Edge they would not do that.

Edited by IZZYAZ

Took my 08 limited in and recieved a "that's just brake dust and that's not covered" and I said "for 35.000

you want to bet"? but after further looking at it, the service manager said he will order 4 new rims for it.

The mechanic who changed my oil tried to get it clean it off with soft steel wool and a little did come off, but not all. With 11.000 miles on it, I did not see it peeling , just brake dust inbedding in the chrome. I love this vehicle.

As far as it goes, if it happens again. they need to replace them with a better design or something.

seems it's a large problem for them because I'm not the only one with this issue and by replacing them under warrenty their already accepting responsability for future replacements.

By the way i wash my edge 2 to 3 times a week and always clean the rims thourghly and it still happened.

Edited by Booterr69

• 9 months later...

My 2007 Edge has the same issue, it appears the aluminum rims under the plastic are not painted or clearcoated to prevent the corrosion. Going to the dealer to see what grief I can get. It is clear the rims don't like the winter salt, I really worried about what they look like under the plastic chrome where I can't see it.

• 2 years later...

Service manager talked to Ford rep, they are aware of this problem. Service manager said it will take 1 month until he is able to order the new chrome rims for me...because Ford wants to purge out the old ones. No reason why this problem is occurring yet!?!?! Just happy to be getting new rims. Owners of this problem....please note!...your Edge must be within warranty to qualify for this....which is 1 year or 12,000miles. Good luck to all.

I have a 2007 Edge with the same chrome wheel corrosion (on the bead near the edge of the wheel). I think every Ford Edge has this. Should have been recalled. I got replacements that I had to pay about $300 for since it was out of Warranty by 1 month, after begging the dealer and FORD for a week or two. Ford said they would pay the rest but did not say how much. ANyway the new wheels are covered in chrome PLASTIC and after this recent winter, the plastic is severely stained or marked. Will not come off by rubbing with cloth and car wash soap. I am thinking the old wheels with the bead corroding might have actualy looked better. What are my options?