Add remote start 2015 Edge

Eh are you sure? If you install the right remote start module and get the fob with remote starts button they should be able to program it. FORSCAN can enable remote start.

If you did it youself and bought and reprogrammed the remote yourself (also can be done in forscan). You could save yourself a pretty penny on labor.

I know with f150s aftermarket OEM remote start was as simple as that and if you didn't have forscan finding a dealer that would enable the option/key for you. It then worked as if you had it from factory

Another option to look into is if the 15s can get sync connect when they start selling those. My wife's 17 has it and her phone from any distance can start the car. It has a cellular connection in it. It's also got the ability to lock and unlock car and set up a remote start schedule(example: 4:30 pm M-F start my car for 5,10, or 15 minutes).

I know when it does come out 16s can add it

I know there is another option ford sells that is what your talking about that is an extra fob. But I think that's just a cheaper option

Edited by Tjm623
  • Like 1

Eh are you sure? If you install the right remote start module and get the fob with remote starts button they should be able to program it. FORSCAN can enable remote start.

Definitely can enable remote start with Forscan, i've done it with my 2015 SEL. Remote start is now enabled, and options can be controlled via the IPC. All I need to do is find a key, and see if it works without adding the antenna :)

• Like 2

Probably going to need the remote start device, but yes I knew you can enable the remote start controls.

Like I said for the f150 it was a simple disconnect a cable braid behind glovebox, mount the device in the OEM spot, use pigtail provided to plug back into cable braid AND the device. And then use forscan or go to dealer to get what you already did enabled / program a new key.

• 4 weeks later...

The Edge remote start ties into a module that splits off of the OBD2 port, and most components are already there. I have seen reports on older Edges that the antenna was not included unless the vehicle had power liftgate, but I have not been able to confirm that is the case on the 2015+. Even if it's not included, it's a cheap part, and plug & play.

I've been spending too much time exploring as-built mods on my Mustang lately, I need to get back to locating a 5-button IA keyfob, and see if I can make the remote start functional without any additional parts added.

With that said, if there is anyone in CFL that's interested in this, or any other as-built mod, shoot me a PM.

Hey guys, I've posted about this also and reading through a lot of threads on this I think you may have answered my questions. My understanding is that on first generation Edge if you have the power lift gate and perimeter entry alarm all you need to do is get the bi-directional antenna and tap into the network through the tpms module located behind the left rear quarter interior panel, Get remotes with the start function (Carandtruckremotes.com) has them for about $90 ea. and then have dealer activate the fobs and remote start. I've been trying to confirm this on my 2015 from what I'm reading here am I correct in saying that i can do this on mine ?

no need to have the dealer activate the fobs if you have 2 originals...you would be able to program a third and 4th yourself. I'm almost positive everything is already included as far as the wiring and remote start goes, just needs the programming updated to enable remote start and IPC options and the fob programmed. Worst case scenario would be adding the antenna, which on a 2015+ looks to be extremely simple.

So I decided to dig in and see if I could find out whether I had this antenna installed or not in my 2015 SEL today. Attached are some pictures of my findings, or lack there of anyway.

I expected to find an antenna between the drivers door and dash, but saw nothing. Also looked behind the dash for a module, but once again saw nothing. I did find a grey plug with a grey/red wire that was tied to another harness and capped off, maybe this is the connector I'm looking for somehow.

So, if anyone wants to pitch in and help, pop the little sunglass holder out and look behind it for this grey/red wire, and see if it's plugged into anything. The sunglass bin is held in with 4 clips that can be popped out with a small 90 degree pick or a flat head screwdriver.

I'm hoping somehow that the module is located elsewhere, and that the antenna connects to this empty plug, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

post-42773-0-20275700-1478590434_thumb.jpg

post-42773-0-56603300-1478590446_thumb.jpg

post-42773-0-57131500-1478590484_thumb.jpg

You should see a "T" harness coming off your OBD port. Then you should have the VSS (vehicle security sensor) box attached to the second OBD port.

The remote starter aerial antenna connects to the TPMS sensor in the rear LH quarter panel.

At least that's how it did in the 2013 & 2014 edge.

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

Already did that,, it shows an antenna and that's it. Doesn't show what the antenna connects to, nor which vehicles already have it in place.

https://accessories.ford.com/electronics/remote-start/aerial-asy.html

That is for the old body style 11-14. The reason it likely shows 15 is the 11-14 platform was still used for some countries in 15.

North America the 15-16 are the same and 11-14 are the same.

In the Edge the gateway module that the post-factory OEM kit plugs into is way up under the dash to the upper right steering column. Kinda a pain to get to. It doesn't plug or "T" into the obd connector.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 1

Okay let me see if I follow, on my 2015 Edge Titanium, I should be able to activate the remote start with Forscan if the module is there, then get two five button intelligent access fobs, program them to the vehicle, and add the antenna, correct ? And if the module isn't there, if I install the post factory Ford remote start module and antenna, will it work with the OEM five button intelligent access fobs ?

the ford accessories site only shows an antenna, and a cellular remote start addition. So what is this other accessory that would be required? If the Ford accessories site shows it can be done with an antenna, and activating it in ForScan gives the options that are not greyed out (which would be normal if the module doesn't exist), what else could possibly be required?

I'm more curious where the OEM antenna is located on a 2015+, and might have to go rent one for a day to find out.

No...you have to purchase the post factory kits...visit accessories.ford.com

Okay, still unclear on this, if I am able to activate the remote start parameters with Forscan or IDS then all I need to do is add the antenna, and get IA fobs with remote start and program them to the vehicle and I should be good to go.

If I'm not able to activate the parameters I need to install the VSS/Remote start kit, and that would require having to carry a second remote, correct ?

I would think if you can activate the parameters that would mean that the remote start is a built in feature like many other Ford vehicles, that all it requires is the addition of the antenna and fobs.

I've been researching this for a while, seen plenty of install programming videos on YouTube, read pages of the Factory Service manuals on the procedure, I even tried to contact Ford Technical Support who just refers me to the dealer, that is almost not a option as the selling dealer installed an aftermarket 3x's lock remote start (not what I wanted) long story, but basically got ripped off on the remote start because I didn't cross my "t's" or dotted my "i's". My local dealer doesn't want to get involved with removing the module because they don't want to be liable if something goes wrong. I just want to find out if it is possible to have the remote start with the original style fobs before I invest any more time and money into this, not to mention the aggravation and frustration.

Edited by Zman31
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All, I have been a viewer of this forum for quite some time and really value the community's knowledge. I created an account to follow up on this post.

I have read a few of the topics regarding adding remote start to the Edge. I wanted to follow up on Zman31's question to see if anyone can point me in the direction of this actually being possible or not on the 2015/16 model...

If possible, which parts would be needed to be purchased/installed? I know there is an antenna on the accessories page.. assuming that is required for the frequency of the 5 button key. Does it also require the VSS module/Perimeter Plus?

Ultimate question still is if there a way to use a factory 5 button IA key with remote start if the Edge did not come with remote start installed from factory?

My model is:

2016 Edge Titanium 3.5L AWD

Equipment Group 300A

• 2 weeks later...

You should be able to use the key fob you have. Once you install the remote starter and re-program the fob, the remote start button will be functional.

Here's some additional remote start information:

http://www.paulmachenry.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/Scalable%20APP%20Guide%202017.pdf

http://www.paulmachenry.com/documents/Hero/Electronics/ABT-4528%20Ford%20Remote%20Start%20Apps_Oct%202015.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional information. I guess my question is which remote start kit is required to use the factory key fob. The one-way and bi-directional kits both include separate remotes.

I'm questioning if I require the vehicle security kit, and hood switch, and then the antenna, and then which remote start module.

Why do you have an OEM remorse start keyfob? Was it included with your vehice?

If all you want is to use your factory fob (which will have short range, 100-300'), then you need the following components:

Hood Pin - BT4Z-19G366-A

VSS - FT4Z-19A361-A (this is the remote starter, you don't need another "module")

RFR Antenna - DA8Z-15603-A

Additionally, you could also add the remote access module and use your cell phone.

This was written in the links I sent you.

Edited by candurin

Okay a little bump here, I recently had the opportunity to talk to a Ford service Tech and was told this is basically a get the remote start fobs, have them programmed and remote start turned on with IDS or Forscan. Didn't have time to get into details, but feel confident enough to get the fobs and take it to the dealer. Will post when I get a chance to get this done.