SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Nobody is getting blocked but I agree that was uncalled for. Anyone who works with software understands the circumstances and while it's frustrating it's better to wait until it's ready. And it's been known for several months the 2016s would require additional hardware.

Also - given the limitations of the current apps I don't think we're missing very much.

Unlike jmr061 I do feel your pain as I myself called both the dealer and corporate Ford yesterday. Received the same answers with the service writer confusing matters by saying some installs were made ( 2 yesterday ) because it came up on their "Oasis " system. Couldn't really get complete information out of him and asked him it was late build models that already had Sync 2.0 installed but he really didn't know.

I think I knew more than he did on this topic.

If Ford keeps getting frustrated and angry customer feedback via chat or phone maybe they will respond sooner. I purchased my 2016 Titanium back in April and was also told "by summer "

Nobody is getting blocked but I agree that was uncalled for. Anyone who works with software understands the circumstances and while it's frustrating it's better to wait until it's ready. And it's been known for several months the 2016s would require additional hardware.

Also - given the limitations of the current apps I don't think we're missing very much.

I went through the exact same thing with MyFord Touch in late 2010 and didn't expect them to do it again

I went through the exact same thing with MyFord Touch in late 2010 and didn't expect them to do it again

That's precisely what they're trying to avoid by not releasing the software until it's ready. That's so much better than releasing it with serious bugs. I don't think sync 3 is anywhere close to the first version of MF from a reliability standpoint and any new software will have bugs.

Not making excuses just being realistic about it.

I understand SW projects have tendency to get delayed but there are still things Ford can do :

1) Come clean with the current status of the project. Tell us X% testing/fixes are still remaining with best and worst case ETA based on where things are. When a company cant keep schedules, they must give up their right to complete privacy of how they work.

2) Stop insulting the customers by tossing them to the dealer. The dealers dont know @#$@ about AA/CA

3) Apologize to Android customers since it looks like CA issues are blocking the whole update. I might be wrong on this one.

4) Fix the price of the HW thingy CA users will need. Dont leave it to dealer mafia.

Being sent to the dealer for everything is the thing I hate the most. Does each and every Ford dealership have staff technical enough to explain all details ?

Cant Ford employ just 5 tech people to answer tech questions.

Anyways, having said all that, I would be surprised if the update comes before Feb next year.

And I am not even interested in that update anymore. I wish applink worked with more apps. (Seems like even spotify doesnt support applink anymore)

Edited by luxpow
  • Like 1

That's precisely what they're trying to avoid by not releasing the software until it's ready. That's so much better than releasing it with serious bugs. I don't think sync 3 is anywhere close to the first version of MF from a reliability standpoint and any new software will have bugs.

Not making excuses just being realistic about it.

Late build vehicles come with Sync 3 version 2 and if a USB hub is installed it works. I can't see the big issue here other than they don't know how to update the " updatable " software. If that's the case give us new APIMS with version 2 installed

I dont pay Apple/Microsoft or any other company 50 grands either.

Also one companies practice is not another companies bible.

Also a company not doing something doesnt mean it shouldnt do it.

I agree complaining wont help but the other person has the right to complain. Asking him not to complain is double insult.

And his post was helpful to others since it keeps other people from contacting Ford with same stuff and get frustrated also.

Complaining here is fine. Being frustrated is understandable. Blaming Ford for missing the advertised date by at least 4 months is reasonable.

Bitching at a customer service person who has no control over the situation is simply not necessary on a personal level. Write an email or letter to Ford management if you want to complain - they deserve it.

But don't expect Ford to tell you exactly the reason for the delay because companies just don't share that type of proprietary information. And don't think that complaining to Ford will make them fix it any faster.

• Like 1

The problem is with Ford making promises they can't deliver. Never should have told the consumer at point of sale that this was going to be added at such and such time by a software update to later find out it was also going to cost the consumer with a hardware update. If it winds up that a new updated APIM is needed do you think the consumer should pay for that?

I have been purchasing Fords for many years but the customer needs honest and reliable expectations from Ford itself.

Someone needs to find out if the APIM in late build models that come with Sync 3 2.0 already installed are identical with early builds. I'm thinking no

Saying that you shouldn't abuse a CSR or that complaining won't help get it faster does not mean that Ford didn't screw up. Of course they did.

I also agree that Ford should upgrade the hardware for free. But if they do then I don't think a $50 charge is the end of the world.

The issue is the USB port and that requirement is obviously coming from Apple - Android is fine. So of you want to complain to Ford you should also complain to Apple.

Akirby. Not to beat a dead horse but those with version 2.0 Sync have already bought USB hubs and have it working. Or if Android it works fine doing nothing. The issue holding everything up is updating the software from version 1 to version 2. That's why I would like to know if late build models have upgraded APIMS

Well...it does appear Ford has started the roll out. I am working on something right now. It is dealer side only and not all vehicles have the upgrade showing up. I have spent a good portion of the morning investigation and experimenting...more to follow later but do remember its football day and I have to take care of the snow lol.

• Like 1

The good news is the NAV upgrade works flawlessly. They do not include map updates just as an FYI.

The non-nav on the other hand is a different story. The OEM download fails but I have split it into two separate updates and it appears to work fine then.

So basically it appears I have V2.2 upgrades functional.