SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Well THAT (replacing the USB hub in my Edge so I could have Car Play) took longer than expected. Word to the wise who plan to swap USB hubs -- it looks deceptively easy. Pop out the old one, plug in the new one and pop it back in. With new trim tools and detailed advice from this thread and from threads on other forums, I thought I was ready, but that hub is in there really, really tight. I essentially had to destroy the old hub to get it out -- it came out in two pieces. (I'm fairly handy with tools, but I even called a local dealer and set up a Monday appointment to have them do the swap, just in case.) If you don't mind destroying the old hub, it's easier I guess. LOL. Fortunately, no damage to the cubby area, except the two little round bumpers in the front corners came out. Pix attached of the old and busted hub, as well as how the new one looks. Good luck peeps!

Sounds like the Edge is a royal pain just like the MKC to get to the USB hub. I think if you had these it would have worked better. I originally purchased the larger "plastic" ones from harbor freight so i got these instead:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html

What would have worked best was some kind of "puller" that, once you have the module lifted up, you could then grab each side and pull. Trying to leverage it out from underneath was tough. That said, it was worth the effort, as I had CarPlay on my last car ('16 Accord Coupe) and used it daily. Now, if I can just figure out why the CarPlay map contrast is so light.... I wish Ford gave us access to a contrast setting for the screen.

after 40 minutes of "updating system" i pulled the plug. i saw estimates upthread of 15-20 minutes so I thought at 40, something must not be working.

a few other oddities, when i pull out the USB drive, the message "device detected" appears in the header of the screen. the first few times i tried the install, it would run for about two minutes and then a message would pop-up saying "update paused. blah blah will resume when you reinsert the USB stick." I tried removing and re-inserting the stick but no go. i finally did a master reset to sync and restarted the install. it worked but this is when it was still going after 40 minutes.

any ideas anyone?

(BTW, it's the non-nav version in a 2016 edge titanium with sync 3 v1.0)

It took me around 20 minutes to replace the hub. The one I have received has white light (Lincoln version of the apple certified hub).

I really liked blue color, so I ended up "hacking" it a little bit, I used blue film from the red-blue glasses and put it inside the module.

Now the module and the light looks authentic like the original one :)

I used auto trim removal tools (the most right one) and the module came out with help of my fingers.

Attaching some pics of the original (old) module for the records.

post-39319-0-17017500-1482033869_thumb.jpg

post-39319-0-40241100-1482033874_thumb.jpg

post-39319-0-01479500-1482033877_thumb.jpg

post-39319-0-21757100-1482033879_thumb.jpg

Edited by t0lkman
  • Like 2

after 40 minutes of "updating system" i pulled the plug. i saw estimates upthread of 15-20 minutes so I thought at 40, something must not be working.

a few other oddities, when i pull out the USB drive, the message "device detected" appears in the header of the screen. the first few times i tried the install, it would run for about two minutes and then a message would pop-up saying "update paused. blah blah will resume when you reinsert the USB stick." I tried removing and re-inserting the stick but no go. i finally did a master reset to sync and restarted the install. it worked but this is when it was still going after 40 minutes.

any ideas anyone?

It all depends on the speed of your usb drive and the non nav is a bigger update than the nav one and two parts. Mine took 30 minutes on nav version just driving around with a fairly quick 2.0 stick. Edited by rvcjew
  • Like 2

any ideas anyone?

I had the "paused" message also. The solution for me was to use a new USB stick.

• Like 2

Thanks @SweetCandyEdge and @rvcjew. I've got a one-hour drive on Monday morning so I'll give it another shot then. I have loads of good, fast thumb drives but they're pushed away until Friday. So if this cheapo stick, that I picked up for five bucks just to do this update, doesn't work then I'll just wait until next weekend. I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks go out to jmr061, Ray Heath, and others for posting the files and install info enabling me to upgrade the wife's Edge to rev 2.2. We have been frustrated for months with the buggy rev 1.1 Sync3 software. Our Edge has been into our dealer service 7 times for days at a time, while the tech messed around and failed to find a solution. I cannot say at the moment that the bugs are fixed, but at least we have some new "bits" to test. Thanks for making the files available, and thanks for all the support here and on the F150 forum.

I ran into problems with the upgrade at every step, which in the end, was fixed by purchasing a new USB thumb drive and starting with a master reset. I started with file errors, which were fixed with exFAT formatting. Then hit out of space errors, which went away when I got a new USB3 thumb drive.

Our frustration with Sync3 has been mostly due to failures when using our iPod Classic media players. We have 2 players (newer versions), which have worked perfectly in our Sync-2 F250 and our Jeep with an after market Sony player. Both iPods fail in our Edge, about 50% of the time we get in to go somewhere. Just before the Rev 2.2 bits came along, a user on the fordsyncforum posted the results of his testing with file structures and USB thumb drives. Using his file structure, I was able to "emulate" our iPod classic players on a 128GB thumb drive (we have a lot of music) and get to a point where we have a reliable media solution. *** The fact that Ford did not document the necessary file structure for music on a thumb drive, is nothing short of criminal. After seeing his post, and testing it for myself, I went in search of this info on owner.ford.com and in my Edge owner manual. Nope, not there. ***

We also saw a few bugs in the nav software, and experienced sporadic cases when a previously setup phone just dropped off the Sync 3 system. I hope these issues are behind us.

With the new rev2.2, I am hoping we have a better "infotainment" experience. I may at some point test the iPod players, to see if Ford fixed the bugs in the interface firmware, but I am guessing nobody would care one way or the other.

Thanks again for the help and upgrade. Happy wife = happy life. :-)

• Like 1

Thanks go out to jmr061, Ray Heath, and others for posting the files and install info enabling me to upgrade the wife's Edge to rev 2.2. We have been frustrated for months with the buggy rev 1.1 Sync3 software. Our Edge has been into our dealer service 7 times for days at a time, while the tech messed around and failed to find a solution. I cannot say at the moment that the bugs are fixed, but at least we have some new "bits" to test. Thanks for making the files available, and thanks for all the support here and on the F150 forum.

I ran into problems with the upgrade at every step, which in the end, was fixed by purchasing a new USB thumb drive and starting with a master reset. I started with file errors, which were fixed with exFAT formatting. Then hit out of space errors, which went away when I got a new USB3 thumb drive.

Our frustration with Sync3 has been mostly due to failures when using our iPod Classic media players. We have 2 players (newer versions), which have worked perfectly in our Sync-2 F250 and our Jeep with an after market Sony player. Both iPods fail in our Edge, about 50% of the time we get in to go somewhere. Just before the Rev 2.2 bits came along, a user on the fordsyncforum posted the results of his testing with file structures and USB thumb drives. Using his file structure, I was able to "emulate" our iPod classic players on a 128GB thumb drive (we have a lot of music) and get to a point where we have a reliable media solution. *** The fact that Ford did not document the necessary file structure for music on a thumb drive, is nothing short of criminal. After seeing his post, and testing it for myself, I went in search of this info on owner.ford.com and in my Edge owner manual. Nope, not there. ***

We also saw a few bugs in the nav software, and experienced sporadic cases when a previously setup phone just dropped off the Sync 3 system. I hope these issues are behind us.

With the new rev2.2, I am hoping we have a better "infotainment" experience. I may at some point test the iPod players, to see if Ford fixed the bugs in the interface firmware, but I am guessing nobody would care one way or the other.

Thanks again for the help and upgrade. Happy wife = happy life. :-)

Glad you got it all worked out, I have all my stuff just on a usb drive at the root with some folders for albums but that's it. Sync should index your files regardless of location as it makes its own internal database of where stuff is at and based on meta data in files what links to what. Perhaps your ipod has odd meta data on the files it houses?

• Like 1

No, our iPod problem is not what files and where. Sync3 drops the entire player off the face of the earth. When this happens, we have to unplug it, plug it, and wait for an eternity for Sync to reindex this "new device". IOW, Sync3 drops the existence of the device from memory. This happening without the device being removed from the car. I only take it out when I need to add music, which is rare.

I tried a USB drive with a pile of artists/albums at the root. At that time (sync3 1.0), all we were able to play was 1 album. It failed to index the whole device. Once I learned how to set up the music file structure (rather obvious in retrospect) and edit our playlists, we now have a working emulation.

Thanks to all on the forum for their help and suggestions. I installed the update in my MKX without a problem and had a little more trouble, although successful with the USB Hub. I ordered the GJ7Z-19A387-B hub from Walt Sweeney, which came very quickly. With the use of the Harbor Freight Tools trim kit previously mentioned, the o.d hub came right out. As another poster mentioned, the new hub has two USB ports instead of one. It only fits the center console USB port. It is noted the old hub had two USB cables plugged into it. The new hub only has a plug for one. What happens is you now have two ports in the center console and the USB port in the armrest console is now disconnected, as that second plug in the old hub obviously connected with this one. In the end, same number of ports, i now have CarPlay and Android auto, and all works well.

That was

Thanks to all on the forum for their help and suggestions. I installed the update in my MKX without a problem and had a little more trouble, although successful with the USB Hub. I ordered the GJ7Z-19A387-B hub from Walt Sweeney, which came very quickly. With the use of the Harbor Freight Tools trim kit previously mentioned, the o.d hub came right out. As another poster mentioned, the new hub has two USB ports instead of one. It only fits the center console USB port. It is noted the old hub had two USB cables plugged into it. The new hub only has a plug for one. What happens is you now have two ports in the center console and the USB port in the armrest console is now disconnected, as that second plug in the old hub obviously connected with this one. In the end, same number of ports, i now have CarPlay and Android auto, and all works well.

That is the wrong hub for the MKX but as long as you are satisfied that is all that matters. That Walt Sweeney place seems to have realized they should stock up and cornered the market on the GJ7Z-19A387-B hub.

• Like 2

No, our iPod problem is not what files and where. Sync3 drops the entire player off the face of the earth. When this happens, we have to unplug it, plug it, and wait for an eternity for Sync to reindex this "new device". IOW, Sync3 drops the existence of the device from memory. This happening without the device being removed from the car. I only take it out when I need to add music, which is rare.

I tried a USB drive with a pile of artists/albums at the root. At that time (sync3 1.0), all we were able to play was 1 album. It failed to index the whole device. Once I learned how to set up the music file structure (rather obvious in retrospect) and edit our playlists, we now have a working emulation.

Wow yeah that is weird since mines just on it and my playlist files are also just on the root and it finds them fine. My files are all flac as it is just a straight copy off my main pc. It really sounds like you had a bug or something. I also had v1.0 .

Edited by rvcjew

Well THAT (replacing the USB hub in my Edge so I could have Car Play) took longer than expected. Word to the wise who plan to swap USB hubs -- it looks deceptively easy. Pop out the old one, plug in the new one and pop it back in. With new trim tools and detailed advice from this thread and from threads on other forums, I thought I was ready, but that hub is in there really, really tight. I essentially had to destroy the old hub to get it out -- it came out in two pieces. (I'm fairly handy with tools, but I even called a local dealer and set up a Monday appointment to have them do the swap, just in case.) If you don't mind destroying the old hub, it's easier I guess. LOL. Fortunately, no damage to the cubby area, except the two little round bumpers in the front corners came out. Pix attached of the old and busted hub, as well as how the new one looks. Good luck peeps!

Went through about the same as you. Maybe i wasnt experienced enough on how to pry these things out, but it took me a good while. I initially started from the left as well and eventually got the bottom to come up but couldnt get the top. Probably spent about an hour or so before i finally gave it a good pull and it yanked out with the help of the trim tool with the circle on it. Didnt mar it up as much as yours did, but if i would have used something other than at trim tool, it would haha.

Went through about the same as you. Maybe i wasnt experienced enough on how to pry these things out, but it took me a good while. I initially started from the left as well and eventually got the bottom to come up but couldnt get the top. Probably spent about an hour or so before i finally gave it a good pull and it yanked out with the help of the trim tool with the circle on it. Didnt mar it up as much as yours did, but if i would have used something other than at trim tool, it would haha.

Glad to know I'm not alone (and I'm usually pretty good about these things). The old USB hub was in fine shape until I finally took needle-nosed pliers to the two USB ports to get a better grip to yank it out. By that point I figured I didn't need the old one and it was in rough shape already. ;-) I've seen other Ford owners on different message boards having mixed degrees of success getting these hubs out, too. I'll take it as good sign on Ford's part that the hub fits so tightly. The new one works like a charm and I'm glad I don't have to wait for Ford to roll out the update/USB hub combo sometime "soon." I'll be curious what dealers charge for this....

So far, rev 2.2 is working. I have seen a few differences, some good.

Question: We use a USB thumb drive for a media source, plugged in to the USB ports behind the gear shift. If I want to use Android Auto, I assume my phone will be plugged into the 2nd of the 2 ports. Can we use AA and play music from the thumb drive at the same time?

So far, rev 2.2 is working. I have seen a few differences, some good.

Question: We use a USB thumb drive for a media source, plugged in to the USB ports behind the gear shift. If I want to use Android Auto, I assume my phone will be plugged into the 2nd of the 2 ports. Can we use AA and play music from the thumb drive at the same time?

Yes just start the usb audio first then the steering controls work with it while your in aa, voice controls will not though as it uses Google even if your not in aa but the phone is plugged in. I do this as Bluetooth audio sucks for sound imo, and the apps I use are not very good with aa at the current time. Edited by rvcjew

Thank you all for the incredibly useful information. I was able to successfully install the GJ7Z-19A387-B that i ordered from Walt Sweney. Just wanted to add a tip to replacing the module. I had ordered the trim tools as well and struggled for a bit. i was able to remove the bottom portion, but could not get the top to release. then it dawned on me that the back side had the little shelf area, and is accessible from behind. Simply remove the side console trim, then pull back the trim behind the module. you can then press the release tab on top and it will pop right out. Attaching a few pictures.

FullSizeRender 1

IMG 6629

• Like 2

Thank you all for the incredibly useful information. I was able to successfully install the GJ7Z-19A387-B that i ordered from Walt Sweney. Just wanted to add a tip to replacing the module. I had ordered the trim tools as well and struggled for a bit. i was able to remove the bottom portion, but could not get the top to release. then it dawned on me that the back side had the little shelf area, and is accessible from behind. Simply remove the side console trim, then pull back the trim behind the module. you can then press the release tab on top and it will pop right out. Attaching a few pictures.

I did that also, allowed me to run my USB Cable out the back also.