SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Yours is a different issue than the others based on your symptoms. A master reset might still help, but others have noticed issues with Flash drives when getting errors like yours. I highly suggest trying a different flash drive and port.

Master reset did not work so I tried another USB stick. Once again, the install succeeded however after turning the Edge off, exiting, and then turning the Edge back on, I am still getting a Navigation Fault.

I tried the install another time and it succeeded with Navigation Fault still displayed however I did not restart after exiting. I have left the car to rest overnight... perhaps Navigation will work better in the morning when I restart :S.

Edited by SweetCandyEdge

Has anyone done this file download and transfer to a USB stick on a Mac? My windows desktop is packed away until next weekend (Christmas) and I'd love to get this installed.

HI Ben. Yes. I'm on a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra (earlier, recent versions should work as well). I downloaded the update, unzipped it, then copied the resulting files to a flash drive I had already reformatted using Disk Utility. I chose the ExFat format in Disk Utility and had no trouble. The install went smoothly though it did take Navigation a couple if recycles to show up properly.

• Like 2

I installed it without any issue on a 16. After restarting the car, I was able to reboot the system with the updates fully installed. Android Auto wouldn't load properly, I had to resync bluetooth with my Pixel XL for it to work currently. I had no other issues. Thanks for uploading the files!

Installed last night without issues on a 16 titanium no nav. I also got the USB module part from Walt Sweeney in town. Its the white LED one. Parts guy said 120+ have been sold in the last 2 days and they ordered 150 more. The removal was not easy. I bought the harbor freight trim kit and still had a hard time getting the clips to come lose. I saw that the orientation of the hub in the f150s is horizontal, which would be much easier. Eventually got it out and carplay works. Pretty awesome.

Master reset did not work so I tried another USB stick. Once again, the install succeeded however after turning the Edge off, exiting, and then turning the Edge back on, I am still getting a Navigation Fault.

I tried the install another time and it succeeded with Navigation Fault still displayed however I did not restart after exiting. I have left the car to rest overnight... perhaps Navigation will work better in the morning when I restart :S.

No luck. ?

I tried a few soft reboots and a couple more master resets this morning. The results are the same with a navigation fault. I checked for DTCs with Forscan and there are none. I am going to try the update one more time and then throw in the towel.

No luck. ?

I tried a few soft reboots and a couple more master resets this morning. The results are the same with a navigation fault. I checked for DTCs with Forscan and there are none. I am going to try the update one more time and then throw in the towel.

What format is your usb sticks? Are they MBR or GPT, I don't know if that matters but mine I made sure to be MBR.

I've just installed 1.6GB(Nav interesting why with Nav the file is smaller?) no issues. I don't see CP button but I see AA button, also new feature for Radio to autoscan channels.

Any other new functionality? Is there a changelog to see what's new?

Not huge, but I did notice that the outside Temp display (and clock?) that are displayed in the header of the sync screen are now mirrored in the footer of the screen to the right of the Speedo. This is handy as the sync header can't be seen when using Android Auto, and presumably CarPlay as well. Seems well thought out on Ford's part. I also noticed that there is a menu option to re-index a media device, which I'm pretty sure is new and is better than having to do a master reset

• Like 1

Not huge, but I did notice that the outside Temp display (and clock?) that are displayed in the header of the sync screen are now mirrored in the footer of the screen to the right of the Speedo. This is handy as the sync header can't be seen when using Android Auto, and presumably CarPlay as well. Seems well thought out on Ford's part. I also noticed that there is a menu option to re-index a media device, which I'm pretty sure is new and is better than having to do a master reset

I noticed that and thought I might have missed it before, but good call!

HI Ben. Yes. I'm on a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra (earlier, recent versions should work as well). I downloaded the update, unzipped it, then copied the resulting files to a flash drive I had already reformatted using Disk Utility. I chose the ExFat format in Disk Utility and had no trouble. The install went smoothly though it did take Navigation a couple if recycles to show up properly.

Thanks for that. I'll give it s go this weekend. I will be extremely happy if I can use AA on the car.

Been working with @SweetcandyEdge and we got his OEM NAV working again...reverted the actual sync version to 1.1 and nav began working. I suspect what 2.2 does is "re-map" no pun intended the navigation maps or how it accesses them. This is an educated guess only. It appears his didn't do this for some reason. He is going to try 2.2 again to see if it works this time.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 4

Been working with @Sweetcandyred and we got his OEM NAV working again...reverted the actual sync version to 1.1 and nav began working. I suspect what 2.2 does is "re-map" no pun intended the navigation maps or how it accesses them. This is an educated guess only. It appears his didn't do this for some reason. He is going to try 2.2 again to see if it works this time.

I was wondering if they could do this to try again but wasn't going to be the one to suggest it as I had no idea if you could back flash or what would happen if you tried, good to know that it can be used as a fallback.

Edited by rvcjew

Been working with @SweetcandyEdge and we got his OEM NAV working again...reverted the actual sync version to 1.1 and nav began working. I suspect what 2.2 does is "re-map" no pun intended the navigation maps or how it accesses them. This is an educated guess only. It appears his didn't do this for some reason. He is going to try 2.2 again to see if it works this time.

Thanks so much to jmr061. I was able to reinstall v1.1 and get nav working again. Unfortunately reinstalling v2.2 afterwards ended in the same result with a navigation fault.

Thanks so much to jmr061. I was able to reinstall v1.1 and get nav working again. Unfortunately reinstalling v2.2 afterwards ended in the same result with a navigation fault.

Persistence has finally paid off. I tried one more time and voila... it works!!! I did three things differently:

1. I turned off the steering wheel heater on the main screen in the APIM settings with Forscan.

2. I switched the right IPC to audio instead of nav.

3. I purchased a new USB stick.

So I reinstalled v1.1 again (thanks to jmr061) and then installed v2.2 from the new USB stick and everything is fine. After a grand total of about 30 installations everything in finally working.

• Like 3

Persistence has finally paid off. I tried one more time and voila... it works!!! I did three things differently:

1. I turned off the steering wheel heater on the main screen in the APIM settings with Forscan.

2. I switched the right IPC to audio instead of nav.

3. I purchased a new USB stick.

So I reinstalled v1.1 again (thanks to jmr061) and then installed v2.2 from the new USB stick and everything is fine. After a grand total of about 30 installations everything in finally working.

Persistence does pay off!

1 is probably not the cause, because I have that setting set and the GT350 Boot screen. 2 could be possible, but honestly I would lean to 3. Glad you got it!

• Like 1

Well THAT (replacing the USB hub in my Edge so I could have Car Play) took longer than expected. Word to the wise who plan to swap USB hubs -- it looks deceptively easy. Pop out the old one, plug in the new one and pop it back in. With new trim tools and detailed advice from this thread and from threads on other forums, I thought I was ready, but that hub is in there really, really tight. I essentially had to destroy the old hub to get it out -- it came out in two pieces. (I'm fairly handy with tools, but I even called a local dealer and set up a Monday appointment to have them do the swap, just in case.) If you don't mind destroying the old hub, it's easier I guess. LOL. Fortunately, no damage to the cubby area, except the two little round bumpers in the front corners came out. Pix attached of the old and busted hub, as well as how the new one looks. Good luck peeps!

post-44315-0-17905100-1482003914_thumb.jpg

post-44315-0-55100900-1482003924_thumb.jpg

post-44315-0-62104500-1482003936_thumb.jpg

post-44315-0-36229200-1482003945_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedEdge16
  • Like 1

wow what the heck did you do...remove the rubber mat, trim tool under easily accessible short end, pry it up a little so it pops out just a little then the tougher side since its right up against the edge and pop that edge out and viola comes right out. Probably have to hold the first side that popped out while doing the 2nd side so it doesn't fall back in.

You will have an almost impossible time if you try to pry it out by the long sides.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 1

wow what the heck did you do...remove the rubber mat, trim tool under easily accessible short end, pry it up a little so it pops out just a little then the tougher side since its right up against the edge and pop that edge out and viola comes right out. Probably have to hold the first side that popped out while doing the 2nd side so it doesn't fall back in.

You will have an almost impossible time if you try to pry it out by the long sides.

Hey, jmr061. My mistake was starting with the left side rather than the bottom. The left side really didn't want to pop out, and when it finally did, the top edge seemed to bind. Once the bottom clip let loose, I figured I was good. But it kept slipping back into the socket. I used all kinds of tools, wedges, pliers, etc. to try and wiggle it free. Finally, since I figured I wasn't keeping the old one anyway, I used needle-nosed pliers to pull it loose. The front of the hub came off from the back (though the wires remained attached to the back). Once I unclipped the wires and re-connected things, it took about a minute -- though I did test the new hub before snapping it into place. A couple of bloody knuckles and a few choice words, all was well.

Edited by RedEdge16
  • Like 2

They have been there before the update. I have them there on mine and I haven't updated yet

First of all, a HUGE THANK YOU to those who shared the files and helped the community out. I have a Lincoln MKC, and somehow stumbled upon this while searching for Carplay in 2016 Fords. I have the MKC 2016 with Nav, and I loaded the 2.2 update, flawlessly. At first when it comes up, SIRI is not there, nor is the NAV... After about 5 minutes it all reappears again, so don't panic.

I can confirm on the 2016 MKC you do need to purchase the USB ports. I ordered them from Mcsweeney Ford, it was about $62 bucks shipped, I ordered on Thursday and it arrived on Saturday. On the MKC it's very difficult to access the ports because they are inside of a compartment in the front, which makes larger tools difficult to use to try it off. Low and behold, Harbor Freight to the rescue, I found a little pick and hook set for $1.99 (YES THATS RIGHT JUST A DOLLAR NIGHTY NINE!). :)http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html

I used the little L shaped tool, and pushed it down into the middle center top of the usb and it popped right out. Keep in mind both wires attached to the USB are secured with little locking clips, so you need to use the little pick tool or a small screwdriver to push down on the little lock to release it and then gently pull the cables out. It was a snap, using the L tool, took me like 5 minutes.. Done.

Carplay in my Lincoln MKC, as promised by Lincoln, but delivered by myself, McSweeney ford, and some fabulous folks on this forum for sharing the update. :) Merry Christmas everyone!

Oh, and BTW, Carplay is a bit over rated if you ask me. You can only use Apple maps, not waze or google maps. Fortunately Apple Maps has gotten better. Spotify works as well as Iheartradio and Pandora. The spotify app is decent, but I like the Ford one better because it shows the cover art, the carplay one does not. Overall though, I think in areas where I'm really unfamiliar the apple maps/carplay display will be awesome. For my daily drive around town during rush hour, I will continue to use Waze because it knows which freeway is least congested.

• Like 2

Well THAT (replacing the USB hub in my Edge so I could have Car Play) took longer than expected. Word to the wise who plan to swap USB hubs -- it looks deceptively easy. Pop out the old one, plug in the new one and pop it back in. With new trim tools and detailed advice from this thread and from threads on other forums, I thought I was ready, but that hub is in there really, really tight. I essentially had to destroy the old hub to get it out -- it came out in two pieces. (I'm fairly handy with tools, but I even called a local dealer and set up a Monday appointment to have them do the swap, just in case.) If you don't mind destroying the old hub, it's easier I guess. LOL. Fortunately, no damage to the cubby area, except the two little round bumpers in the front corners came out. Pix attached of the old and busted hub, as well as how the new one looks. Good luck peeps!

Sounds like the Edge is a royal pain just like the MKC to get to the USB hub. I think if you had these it would have worked better. I originally purchased the larger "plastic" ones from harbor freight so i got these instead:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html