SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Searched for the Part number on Ebay that JMR mentioned in the first post in this thread, and bought it. Couple online Ford Parts places had it in stock also when I looked. I had dealt with the EBay seller before, so I went back there.

Thanks! Is there a guide to removing the old hub or is it basically just prying it out?

I wanted to get something written up for those Edge Owners to have some quick reference to.

SYNC 3

Version 1.0 - Initial Release Version - Does not contain Android Auto/CarPlay

Version 1.1 - Latest Update (as of 10/5/2016) for Version 1 to correct minor bug issues (only available via dealer upgrade - I have this available but it is a 500+gb download) 11/21/16 V1.1 has been removed from the dealer side.

500+gigabytes????? (1/2 terabyte?) Was this a mistype? Even a half gigabyte would be huge for a car sync system.

Does anybody know what the difference between HU5Z-19A387-A vs HC3Z-19A387-B.

I've bought HU5Z-19A387-A, but I think it's for Focus and not for Edge :(

You should have bought GJ7Z-19A387-B like JMR mentions in the first Post in this thread. :headscratch: Why did you order something different than what he mentioned? It is Apple certified, that is the difference.

I've just installed 1.6GB(Nav interesting why with Nav the file is smaller?) no issues. I don't see CP button but I see AA button, also new feature for Radio to autoscan channels.

Any other new functionality? Is there a changelog to see what's new?

Won't see the CP button without the Certified hub. :thumbsup:

I installed the update on my 2016 Edge Sport with nav. The update seemed to go fine however following a restart I received a "Navigation fault" and as a result the built in nav does not work. I've attempted to reapply the update however it fails after about 10 minutes saying "Installation paused. The USB storage device has been changed or removed. Installation will resume when the device is re-inserted.". I tried reinserting the USB and got the same message after about 10 minutes. Any suggestions? I am going to reformat the drive and copy the files again tonight. I verified the hash code and it was correct.

• Like 1

I also installed the update on my Edge Sport with navigation. Everything went as planned (based on what others have reported.) Took about 20-25 minutes, got the notification the update had been applied, turned off vehicle and kept driving for another half hour. Navigation never came back. I have a "Maps loading" message with the two circles going around, but maps never loaded. I tapped on audio, and that screen came back, but now can't even get back to the Nav screen. Tapping the button for it does nothing. When I click on the Home button, I get the usual Home Screen, and where the Nav should be (left side) is the Maps loading message. I'm hoping after I let the car sit and restart it'll come back. So I guess user beware. (I did check and the system seems have updated everywhere else.) Any advice welcome!

• Like 1

I also installed the update on my Edge Sport with navigation. Everything went as planned (based on what others have reported.) Took about 20-25 minutes, got the notification the update had been applied, turned off vehicle and kept driving for another half hour. Navigation never came back. I have a "Maps loading" message with the two circles going around, but maps never loaded. I tapped on audio, and that screen came back, but now can't even get back to the Nav screen. Tapping the button for it does nothing. When I click on the Home button, I get the usual Home Screen, and where the Nav should be (left side) is the Maps loading message. I'm hoping after I let the car sit and restart it'll come back. So I guess user beware. (I did check and the system seems have updated everywhere else.) Any advice welcome!

Reboot your radio, it will come back. Turn off the car, open the door, let the radio go black, wait 10-30 seconds, and turn it back on. Nav should work after a 30 or so seconds.

• Like 1

I installed the update on my 2016 Edge Sport with nav. The update seemed to go fine however following a restart I received a "Navigation fault" and as a result the built in nav does not work. I've attempted to reapply the update however it fails after about 10 minutes saying "Installation paused. The USB storage device has been changed or removed. Installation will resume when the device is re-inserted.". I tried reinserting the USB and got the same message after about 10 minutes. Any suggestions? I am going to reformat the drive and copy the files again tonight. I verified the hash code and it was correct.

Haven't heard of that one yet. Try a different USB drive. Maybe your drive is going bad? Also try the other USB port than the one you originally used.

Reboot your radio, it will come back. Turn off the car, open the door, let the radio go black, wait 10-30 seconds, and turn it back on. Nav should work after a 30 or so seconds.

Thanks, Ray. I assume when you say reboot the radio, you don't mean an official "reset" of the Sync 3 system? (Sorry, I'm fairly new to the Edge and coming from a techy background reboot can mean different things.) Car has been sitting about an hour. I'll head out soon and fire it up and see what happens and then report back. Also this has happened to a couple of other people (the "maps loading" issue, not the issue SweetCandyEdge noted). See: http://www.f150forum.com/f118/current-sync-3-carplay-android-auto-information-360660/index58/

• Like 1

Thanks, Ray. I assume when you say reboot the radio, you don't mean an official "reset" of the Sync 3 system? (Sorry, I'm fairly new to the Edge and coming from a techy background reboot can mean different things.) Car has been sitting about an hour. I'll head out soon and fire it up and see what happens and then report back. Also this has happened to a couple of other people (the "maps loading" issue, not the issue SweetCandyEdge noted). See: http://www.f150forum.com/f118/current-sync-3-carplay-android-auto-information-360660/index58/

Perfectly understand the clarity, Enterprise Systems Admin here, so yes when I say reboot, I mean reboot/restart, NOT reset.

I have updated 5 various fords with the USB drive I have now, all Sync 3 with NAV, and 2 have done it, including my Edge, but in both cases, powering off and back on did the trick, and no issues since then. small sampling, but it works.

• Like 2

For those with NAV issue do a master reset. Some have noted it takes a while for NAV to come back after the upgrade. You were at V1 or 1.1 before hand correct?

Success! The second re-cycle brought the navigation back! I was at V1, jmr061 -- I checked beforehand to be sure. Thanks for your help in this. (Now, I just have to wait for my USB hub to arrive in a couple of days to complete the process.)

• Like 1

For all the 2016 Mustang drivers out there thinking about doing this CarPlay upgrade themselves I can confirm two things. The NON NAV software installers worked flawlessly with no issues. I am now successfully upgraded to v2.2 from v1.1. Second, there are two USB modules out there. The OFFICIAL Ford USB module is part #HC3Z-19A387-B. As of right now it is on severe backorder and Ford is not even quoting an estimated shipping date. The UNOFFICIAL USB module part #GJ7Z-19A387-B
which is for the Lincoln Navigator (I got mine at a local Ford dealership parts department) is almost identical to the official Ford part, the only difference is the edge of the USB ports light up in blue on the Ford, white on the Lincoln. I can confirm that even though the original 2016 Mustang Hub has one USB port and the part listed above has 2 USB ports the part is almost identical and fits like a glove. The one exception is, ironically, that there are TWO USB inputs feeding into the single USB port on the original part, where on the new part there is just ONE USB input for the two combined ports. I plugged in the USB with the GREY head into the Lincoln part and VOILA!!! CARPLAY!!! Part fits like a glove. Whole process took less than 10 minutes. Use a trim tool (think plastic flathead screwdriver) to gently pry the hub out. Unplug the three cables, take the new part, plug in the grey power cable and the grey USB cable and if you already have the Sync 3 2.2 upgrade installed you are all set. So far in 3 hours of driving I have had no issues. Only other recommendation I would make is to delete your phone from your sync system and re-add it like it was a new device. Best of luck everyone!!
  • Like 1