Emissions Canister Purge Valve Solenoid Failure

macbwt

I was surprised to discover my Emissions Canister Purge Valve Solenoid was failing. I was making a video on the replacement of the valve and wrongfully assumed mine was functioning properly then I discovered by testing it that the valve was in the process of failing. Good thing I had a new one on hand ready to go. Now I have to go check my other Edge and make sure it is functioning properly.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Mac - Saved me money, yet again.

Bumping this thread for visibility.

Every so often my Check Engine Light would come on.  I would simply clear the code with FORScan and go on my way (its been doing this for a year and never noticed any performance or other issues).

It just happened again yesterday and I finally looked into it some more.  The car was throwing code P0456 "EVAP System Leak Detected (very small leak)".

Oddly enough, last week after getting a full tank of gas, I noticed that my car was a little sluggish to start. Then a few days ago, my car failed to remote start.

Long story short, I just replaced the purge valve in less than 10 minutes thanks to the video.  Hopefully that fixes my problems.  I do have a vacuum tester somewhere in the attic/garage.  I'll have a look at some point and see if my old valve holds vacuum.

It was $28 total from Advanced Auto Parts right near our house.  Not too shabby.  Thanks again Mac!

• Like 1