No longer on my own private island

Phoenix

I didn't set out to buy an Edge. I didn't even know they existed. I was turning in an Explorer with 228,000 miles on it (all mine) and I didn't like what I expected to like. I test drove anything that looked interesting. I wanted a 3rd row (kids and friends of kids) and somewhere to put the dog, AWD and better gas mileage. Wasn't asking for much.

I thought I'd like another Explorer. Yuck, from my 98 XLT, they'd stripped out all the stuff that had been standard and the "options" left me cold. The Expedition (Eddie Bauer Limited) left me cold, too. I was leaving the dealership when I saw the first one. I pointed and asked the sales person: "What is that?"

I drove it.

I kept driving everything under the sun.

Two weeks later, I bought it -- I decided the third row wasn't more important than a vehicle I really liked.

I had the only one for a long time. Even in Phoenix, huge as it is, it was very, very rare that you'd see another. Someone at the office bought the MKX after I let him drive mine -- big, fat copycat. He normally works in a different building -- and then his wife said "You drive the Tahoe *chuckle*" -- so I felt cool again.

But now? I'm in a school of fish -- a cool school, mind you, but they're everywhere. I followed the identical car to mine up Hwy 51 for about 10 miles Friday. I never noticed how cool the tail lights are. There's a red one on the daily commute now. It feels like I should know them now. Someone in this research park is driving an orange one. I pass them on the freeway on my 33 mile commute, they pass me. The Vista roof looks VERY cool in the rear view, btw.

The upside? Maybe there will be more accessories soon.

I didn't set out to buy an Edge. I didn't even know they existed. I was turning in an Explorer with 228,000 miles on it (all mine) and I didn't like what I expected to like. I test drove anything that looked interesting. I wanted a 3rd row (kids and friends of kids) and somewhere to put the dog, AWD and better gas mileage. Wasn't asking for much.

I thought I'd like another Explorer. Yuck, from my 98 XLT, they'd stripped out all the stuff that had been standard and the "options" left me cold. The Expedition (Eddie Bauer Limited) left me cold, too. I was leaving the dealership when I saw the first one. I pointed and asked the sales person: "What is that?"

I drove it.

I kept driving everything under the sun.

Two weeks later, I bought it -- I decided the third row wasn't more important than a vehicle I really liked.

I had the only one for a long time. Even in Phoenix, huge as it is, it was very, very rare that you'd see another. Someone at the office bought the MKX after I let him drive mine -- big, fat copycat. He normally works in a different building -- and then his wife said "You drive the Tahoe *chuckle*" -- so I felt cool again.

But now? I'm in a school of fish -- a cool school, mind you, but they're everywhere. I followed the identical car to mine up Hwy 51 for about 10 miles Friday. I never noticed how cool the tail lights are. There's a red one on the daily commute now. It feels like I should know them now. Someone in this research park is driving an orange one. I pass them on the freeway on my 33 mile commute, they pass me. The Vista roof looks VERY cool in the rear view, btw.

The upside? Maybe there will be more accessories soon.

I know what you mean. When I first bought mine I rarely saw another Edge on the road. Now, they are all over.

Hey Phoenix tell you what, I will wave to you the next time I see you on the 51! :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

They're coming two at a time now:

I bought the wife a new Firemist Red 2007 SEL+ on a Saturday, she let me take it Sunday and Monday I bought a Copper (orange) 2007 SEL+ one for myself! Can you say 0% for 60 months? WOW!

I choose to think the rapid growth in popularity may bode well for our civilization: look at all the smart people out there! :yup: There may be hope for us after all!

I have had nothing short of a spectacular experience with the two we bought (so far), and I am really enjoying the fuel efficiency (coming from an Expedition). I will save about 20% on fuel on both vehicles - I was using $400 a month and my wife $125, so that's about $100 a month at todays prices.

I gave nothing up in the ride department either! Nice. :hysterical:

They're coming two at a time now:

I bought the wife a new Firemist Red 2007 SEL+ on a Saturday, she let me take it Sunday and Monday I bought a Copper (orange) 2007 SEL+ one for myself! Can you say 0% for 60 months? WOW!

I choose to think the rapid growth in popularity may bode well for our civilization: look at all the smart people out there! :yup: There may be hope for us after all!

I have had nothing short of a spectacular experience with the two we bought (so far), and I am really enjoying the fuel efficiency (coming from an Expedition). I will save about 20% on fuel on both vehicles - I was using $400 a month and my wife $125, so that's about $100 a month at todays prices.

I gave nothing up in the ride department either! Nice. :hysterical:

VagabonEdge,

Is that 0% a special on the 2007's or specific to your area? I have not seen that available, but have been looking at 2008's.

Clayton

I know what you mean. When I first bought mine I rarely saw another Edge on the road. Now, they are all over.

Hey Phoenix tell you what, I will wave to you the next time I see you on the 51! :shades:

Hopefully, I'll run into either of you on the 51, 101, either 202, 60, or 10. :D

yeah I hear ya, but in a way I think it's very cool every time I see an Edge on the road (not the SE... but that's another story). there are already 2 of them in my apartment building, one was recent and the other one was there like 6 months back.

of course, I knew I was planning to get it way before anyone else around here did. I just had to wait til I was ready to make the purchase and dump my old Ranger. I went and drove and looked at them in Dec 2007 but didn't find anything I liked, so I had to wait to order a 2008. not that I was that excited about buying a first-year car anyway.

I'm planning to make mine even more "mine" and cooler than theirs. :) besides the fact that I ordered mine so it's already one of a kind, since none of the configurations on any dealer lots were to my liking (mine's like the Limited, with a few deletions for things I didn't want to pay for... and no chrome (blech) on my 18"s).

so nyah to them...

Edited by bri719

Freeways that run through or around Greater Phoenix.

We call them "The ten", "the sixty", "the fifty one", "the one oh one", "the two oh two", the "three oh three"

lol I got it... figured u were in LA or Ventura (also near 101, 10, 60). I wondered, hey I've lived here for 30 years why have I never heard of these other two? :hysterical:

I feel ya... I was the first one to buy an MKX from the dealership here (April 6, 2007)... Black on Black, a think of beauty... heads would turn, windows would roll down, "what's that" they'd say... "can I just look inside", they'd say... even the hand prints and the forehead prints on the window didn't bother me... now... everywhere you turn, look, there's one like yours, a red one, a white one, a cream one... an Edge, another Edge...

But it is still a cool looking car, can't wait to detail it for the summer! Even with the problems that I've had with the computer system... I still love my Stankin' Lincoln!

I feel ya... I was the first one to buy an MKX from the dealership here Mayfield, Ohio (April 6, 2007)... Black on Black, a think of beauty... heads would turn, windows would roll down, "what's that" they'd say... "can I just look inside", they'd say... even the hand prints and the forehead prints on the window didn't bother me... now... everywhere you turn, look, there's one like yours, a red one, a white one, a cream one... an Edge, another Edge...

But it is still a cool looking car, can't wait to detail it for the summer! Even with the problems that I've had with the computer system... I still love my Stankin' Lincoln!