2015 Edge Sport broken trans/PTU?

Started up my 2015 Edge Sport yesterday and after idling for about 15 seconds it quickly dropped from normal cold-start RPM to a low, little bit rough, idle. Service light came on and then felt a bit of a clunk and the car lurched forward about an inch. Shifts hard when going from P to R or D.

Tentatively tried to back out of the garage, which seemed mostly okay, then put in D to pull in and Edge wouldn't move. Wouldn't roll backward but definitely would go forward with throttle. Turned it off an let it sit for a little bit, tried again and it slowly crept forward before giving up again, fortunately had enough momentum to coast into garage.

Previous to this had zero symptoms of shifting poorly or drive-ability. Had just returned the previous weekend from a 800mile round trip drive and had no problems at all. At least it was convenient it broke at my house instead of out on the interstate :)

Have an appt tomorrow with the service dept, but haven't seen many reports of issues like this on the 2015+ models. About 18K miles.

-SJ

Edited by redlancer

I'd be curious to know / hear if the 2015+ transaxel has a drain plug on it. The pre 2015 only had this on a model bound for the middle east.

Who in the right mind thought it was a good idea to seal a lubricated device so that the lubrication couldn't easily be changed. You have to suck it out with a tube from the fill port. Measure it to make sure you've got most/all of it by volume.

Definitely had all the warning lights go off. Service wrench and check engine light immediately following the initial clunk sound. I checked for codes and didn't get anything of note.

Prior to that no lights or driveability issues. Something went from fully functional to broke in one pop. Strange it happened at idle from cold start, seems like in general drivetrain issues would happen under load or while driving.

Will report back with what the dealer says

• Like 1

Update on the edge, turned out drivetrain was fine, so that's good :)

When I had the initial issues I pulled the codes and had a code for map sensor come up. I thought that didn't make any sense since the car was shifting awkwardly into D and R and wouldn't drive forward when in gear. I've had plenty of turbo cars, and had map sensors on all of them freak out at some point (80's turbo-dodge's, so every part broke on those at some point :) ) but had never seen a faulty map sensor completely disable the vehicle from a mechanical standpoint.

Got it to the dealer. Service tech pops the engine cover and finds that a critter had gotten up there and chewed some wires. Guess which ones. If you said map sensor than you are correct. With the sensor disconnected it threw the computer into limp mode, which was pretty obvious from the low idle and warning lights, but then he said the reason it wouldn't go forward was because when you put it in drive the transmission drops into 5th gear (?). That was a new one for me, not sure why you would want that 'feature' in limp mode.

If I had followed up on my initial diagnosis I would have found the issue and been able to fix the wires, but didn't look at the map sensor since it didn't seem to make any sense. Bottom line, trust your gut when diagnosing cars :). I had even started to check the map voltage via torque app and my OBD-II adapter, but the Bluetooth wasn't working right and I gave up too soon because I thought I was chasing ghost symptoms. Once step after that I would have seen 0 voltage on the sensor and checked it out anyway just to see what was up.

Cost to fix at the dealer was a few hundred bucks for time and materials, but probably could have done it myself pretty quick and easy. Tech was able to do a quick fix with a couple pieces of electrical tape to drive and park on their lot while they ordered a new harnesses plug for the sensor.

Tech said he's been having several vehicles a week with rodent issues this winter, which he said was way more than they normally see.

-SJ

Edited by redlancer
  • Like 1

yeah, all is well in the end, just wish I had seen the issue first.

The piece to fix the car was $8 for the new plug to the map sensor, billed labor was $540 which seems crazy. I know it only took the shop about 30 minutes to do since I had inspected the car with the tech at about 3pm and they hadn't even gotten the part in yet, but had a message on my phone the next day at 8am that the car was ready for pickup. :/

so billed 1 hour @ $135 for diagnosis and 3 more hours for repair. I know that's how it works when they just go by what's listed in the labor guide, but doesn't make it hurt any less :)