Bought a new used Ford Edge

New here on the sight, but the bad deal on my 08 Edge I got from a Ford dealer in Escondido ca. is old, and still fresh in my mind. I looked a new Ford Edge. It was sitting on the back lot with 500 miles. That should have been my first clue. They told the miles were because the salespeople would drive it around for exposure. Next clue I missed. Wife wanted her car, so we made the deal. Signing so much stuff. We are just about done says the salesman. The last paper to sigh says I know the the car is used. WHAT did you say. This is a used car it's called a roll back the guy says.. It was sold, and brought back. I don't want the car I told the salesman. Then the wife starts crying. I caved in and signed. The car has just been ok, a few issued I will not get into now. I made a fuss the next few days. My only compensation was a couple free oil changes. I told them no thanks. So now if I trade in my car it is listed as used. Anyone ever had this happen, or anything like it? Stan

Caveat Emptor. I think you will have to chalk this one up to lessons learned.

Ā 

One is to really do your homework on a car before you buy it, including taking a test drive (which I assume you did.) Did you not ask about the miles and if it had a previous owner?

Ā 

An two, never *ever* take your wife (or kids) along when buying a car. Take her along when looking, shopping, test driving, etc.. but NEVER when you are actually going to negotiate a purchase. Nothing against your wife (or anyone's wife) but car salesmen >love it< when a wife is there during the negotiation.

The salesman lied to you when he told you that it was just driven around for exposure. The sales people get to use a car for their personal use and pay a small amount to do so. 500 miles isn't unusual for that reason. When he tried to slip in the disclosure paper as the last thing to sign you should have run. All things considered, you made your wife happy.

This kind of stuff happens too often. My wife's father was a car salesman. They had a saying (There's an ass for every seat.)

At this point it is too late to do anything so just sit back and enjoy the ride and good luck with the edge. :)

• Like 1