When is an Edge a truck?

TXMARTIN

Hello,

I was told when I picked up my '07 Edge that it was a "truck". My title from Ford shows it as a truck. My license plates in Texas show "truck". Ok, I thought, so there is some quirk in the vehicle laws that made Ford think it is a good idea to classify this vehicle as a truck. Maybe they take advantage of less restrictions on their design that way.

Now the strange thing is I have seen a number of Edges out on the road with no "truck" on the Texas plates. I have some other Edges with "truck" on the plates, as I have on mine.

So, which Edges are trucks?

I'd appreciate hearing from a knowledgeable Ford employee.

Thanks all!

Ford employees would not generally be permitted to respond to forum questions. Anything they would say would need to be approved by Company lawyers - so don't wait for that.

Since the Edge is a multi-purpose vehicle - (can carry "Stuff" as well as people) the Feds calssify it as a "light truck".

From Wikipedia:

"The United States government uses light truck as a vehicle class in regulating fuel economy through the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standard. The class includes vans, minivans, sport utility vehicles, and pickup trucks. Light trucks have lower fuel economy standards than cars, under the premise that these vehicles are used for utilitarian purposes rather than personal transportation."

A dealer might have put passenger vehicle instead of "Truck" on the title application- therefore the standard passenger vehicle tag????? :finger:

First, I'm neither a Ford employee, nor an expert in vehicle titling...

So how about another twist on this? My 2008 Edge here in Pennsylvania is titled as a "Station Wagon", which shows on my state registration card as the abbreviation "SW" under 'Type', and the fee is $36.00.

The "rules" on type classification may vary somewhat from State to State, however, I believe that the registration type in all is based on how the vehicle has actually been titled, with titling based on features/characteristics the vehicle has as manufactured (including gross weight).

As an example of how convoluted this can be :headscratch: , here's a clip from the PA Code on classifying a vehicle, and the various categories:

§ 1304. Registration criteria.

(a General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this section, vehicles shall be registered for a flat

fee.

(b Classification of vehicles.--The department may identify vehicles by type as to weight, design,

loading, use, ownership or other significant characteristics for purposes of registration.

SUBCHAPTER B

REGISTRATION FEES

Sec.

1912. Passenger cars.

1913. Motor homes.

1914. Motorcycles.

1915. Motor-driven cycles.

1916. Trucks and truck tractors.

1917. Motor buses and limousines.

1918. School buses and school vehicles.

1919. Reduced combustion vehicles.

1920. Trailers.

1921. Special mobile equipment.

1922. Implements of husbandry.

1923. Antique, classic and collectible vehicles.

1924. Farm vehicles.

1925. Ambulances, taxis and hearses.

1925.1. Limousines.

1926. Dealers and miscellaneous motor vehicle business.

1926.1. Farm equipment vehicle.

1926.2. Fleet owner transporter.

1931.1. Street rod.

1933. Commercial implements of husbandry.

Regardless of what type class a particular vehicle falls into according to the State, the point here is that they should all be titled/registered the same way.

I have not received my official Title yet.. but when I used the Ford tool to search my VIN number a bit back when it was released, it lists mine as "Truck/SUV" for Vehicle Type. This is in SoCal.

Funny thing is, I also often say "my truck" and have to correct myself. Maybe it is because I am coming from a car that is physically smaller. But I feel odd calling the Edge a "car", but it sounds odd to say "crossover"

Funny thing is, I also often say "my truck" and have to correct myself. Maybe it is because I am coming from a car that is physically smaller. But I feel odd calling the Edge a "car", but it sounds odd to say "crossover"

That's interesting Lex... as I'm on the opposite end of that. I went from an Expedition to the Edge, and find that I have trouble referring to it (the Edge) as a "Truck", since it seems more car-like to me now. However... several of my co-workers here call it a truck when talking about it so I can see that it's more of a personal perception kind of thing.

You and I do agree on the 'Crossover' moniker however, and I really never use that term when talking about my new Edge... :D

My Edge showed up from the dealer with new plates.... Truck ! My coworkers took delivery of Edges and all got passenger vehicle plates.

I asked two cops from two different police forces if I had the correct plates. Cop 1.. I don't know... looks okay to me. Cop 2.... that doesn't seem right ... and by the way the plate with the val-tag needs to be on the front not the back....

Since it is a company vehicle my fleet person had it replated with passenger vehicle plates. Note that this is in Ontario Canada.

Get what ever registration is cheaper since no one seems to have a definitive answer.

Well, I am an employee... I work for a Ford dealership in Ga. I am the finance director in my store and finance people are the ones that have you fill out your title application. I want to post first that the EDGE is a crossover vehicle and considering that title office across the nation do not have the option to label such a vehicle correctly on a title application there is going to be a variable. When your title application is filled out it can be labeled as a SUV-Wagon or as a light duty truck. This depends on your state. In Ga it is a SUV-Wagon. I hope this clears up any questions .

p.s. Intelligent responces are handed out daily from my dealership and my company. If you use intelligent responses lawyers are not needed.

My Edge showed up from the dealer with new plates.... Truck ! My coworkers took delivery of Edges and all got passenger vehicle plates.

I asked two cops from two different police forces if I had the correct plates. Cop 1.. I don't know... looks okay to me. Cop 2.... that doesn't seem right ... and by the way the plate with the val-tag needs to be on the front not the back....

Since it is a company vehicle my fleet person had it replated with passenger vehicle plates. Note that this is in Ontario Canada.

Get what ever registration is cheaper since no one seems to have a definitive answer.

"Car" plates are correct for the edge. Commercial plates are moreso for larger vehicles such as pick-ups used for commercial purposes.

We have a very large fleet in Ontario and the work vans which carry ladders (service & construction) have commercial plates. All the passanger vans and such have car plates on them.

Mine has car plates on ... legal.

Edited by Jaak in TO

anyone who says it's a truck for registration purposes doesn't know what they're talking about, and if it has truck plates someone at the DMV or dealer probably didn't know what they were doing either. I live in so. cal and saw a minivan taxicab the other day which had commercial (truck) plates on it... but I've never seen that before, and I always notice that kind of stuff that would stick out. so even that seemed like something was not quite right.

btw, I even call my Ranger a car ("my car's over this way...") unless someone is asking me very specifically about it. so I'm not exactly going to start calling the Edge a truck, which it's not.

here in California, truck-based SUV's dont' even count as trucks (they get car plates like everyone else). so I don't know why anyone would think a car-based SUV (CUV) is a truck at all....

As has been pointed out, states differ on what is a truck and what is a car. The Federal Govt. accepts the Edge as a truck because it can carry "Stuff" on a flat load floor.

In those states where there is no financial incentive to show it one way or the other - no harm/no foul. Some states, however, tax cars differently than trucks. There is where I would want the title clerk at the dealership to put the "lowest cost" alternative (car/truck) on the title application. I'm sure most tag offices go by whatever the tag application says.

You can certainly argue that they are trucks if the Federal Govt. classifies them as such. You can bet that Ford likes to include them in the truck category to help CAFE.

great points, Grey. and yes I was mainly referring to my state, but thought that may apply to Texas and most others as well.

I have, while on the highway, seen state-issued "truck" plates on out-of-state SUVs and chuckled a bit. especially those I knew were based on a car platform. I think the state of CA sees no need to register any more trucks than are already out there (they already outnumber cars, after all). having a choice in one's state is really the best of both worlds, because then you can usually choose the cheapest option as you mentioned.

and I was actually wrong, taxis here do have commercial (aka truck) plates...never knew.

I tend to agree with Tom - I also traded in an F-150 with crank windows, etc. The grand daughters wanted to ride in the "Truck" because they had never seen crank windows before (and Mom couldn't hit a switch and lock them.) Cheap entertainment.

I was getting about 14 MPG in the F-Series and I am averaging 21.9 with the Edge. Just over 2,000 miles. :happy feet: :happy feet: