Oil Prices

tiaquessa

Basic Economics - stop using oil and the price will drop.

i would bet that wouldn't be the case. it would just increase for those who still "have to use it" i've tried to decrease the amount i use, but haven't been able to. we could stop ball practice for the kids/games/my motorcycle riding/lawn mowing on the side/etc... but then i'd just stay in and need more heat/cold in the house. we just need more fuel efficient vehicles (why i bought the Edge 17-24) barely getting 19avg. prices on Everything is increasing everytime i have to go to the store, so as a commuter car (i have to use my 2000 Grand Prix GT avg. about 25mpg) i can't afford the extra $'s for a more fuel efficient one (which would create another monthly payment). I use my motorcycle for commuting when i can (bout 40mpg) In other words: i've adjusted to the ridiculous price of fuel, and hope other costs don't triple in price of the things we really Have to have.

probably time for a couple horses and buggies. (i do live in an amish town)

"probably time for a couple horses and buggies. (i do live in an amish town)"

Then you have to buy hay - and what about the emissions? :censored:

Our country could save no telling how much fuel daily by putting an end to drive up windows in fast food restaurants. At the more popular places here, we have lines of cars extending from the street, all the way around the building, to the window. The wait can be 10 or 15 minutes and all those cars are for the most part, sitting there idling away, getting zero mpg.

Another thing we are doing that makes no sense is trying to solve our fuel problem with ethanol. I understand that corn is more valuable as a foodstuff than as a raw material for fuel. Ranchers are having to sell off their beef herds because corn-based feed is too expensive. In addition, many farmers are now growing corn for fuel production, causing shortages in other grains. In addition, someone here on the Edge Forum mentioned that fuel containing ethanol yields a decrease of 10-15 mpg. To top it all off, it requires more energy to produce ethanol than than it provides as a fuel. Go figure...

Edited by rcrose

You can blame the oil companies themselves.I saw a leaked Chevron memo from 20 years ago that said that the only way that they could increase the profit margin on gas was to make less.Hence the reason that they haven't made a new gas plant in so long even though the demand keeps going up.It's not that there is no oil out there, they say that the oilsands here in Alberta are the second biggest confirmed oil reserve outside of Saudi Arabia.That doesn't even count the oilsands in Saskatchewan.

• 1 month later...

Anybody wonder how much gas we could save if your local DOT would coordinate just ONE RED light. I really get a kick out of sitting at red lights with a dozen other people watching the MPG meter drop while NOBODY is moving!

OH and another thing don't go blaming the Arabs for this one, THEY ARE NOT setting the price. The speculators in New York City are setting the price.

But good news this BUBBLE will bust just like tech, housing and credit.

ab

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It ain't all about econ. When oil dropped to 50 bucks a barrel, I sure as hell didn't see gas at $1.49 per gallon. I barely ever saw $1.80. Something about huge emperor palaces, man made islands in the shapes of continents, audi's made of silver, and death to America comes to mind.................