Anyway around the Sirius?

cmoses

I am looking to purchase a Edge shortly and am looking at Limited's that are pretty loaded. All of them have the Sirius Satellite Radio and I have no use for it. Will listen to my IPOD mostly. It's only $195.00 but I know that I won't use it, so it bugs me that I am paying for it. Can it easily be taken off or is is there because I want the NAV and its part of the package? If it can't be removed, what is the likely hood of getting something else thrown in for similar cost? I want front splash guards ($25), Premium Carpeted Floor Mats in ebony ($69) and a Cargo Area Protector ($90). They all total $184, so less than the Sirius price tag and I will use them. I just wanted to see what the thoughts were on this and what would be the best approach with a salesman to take.

Clayton

don't be so quick to want to bail on it.. try it... you might just like it. it is pretty affordable and you get 6 months free - some I have heard a year, guess it depends on your area - so you might get swayed in that free trial period. once I listened to Satellite I have NEVER - not one time in 2 years - gone back to regular radio. I now have 3 subscriptions.

AND, as of this past week, if the FCC signs off to the agreed approved merger, Sirius and XM will merge and this likely means even more channels to select from as they combine.

Satellite rocks...

I'm with lex on the sirius, have it in both cars. Its worth it.

I have XM in one car and Sirius in the other. Liked it when I had a 2 hour commute, not so much with my current 8 minute trip to work. When the free period runs out, I will not subscribe. I really don't see any benefit to paying for it when I can get plenty of radio for free and it doesn't drop every time I'm under an overpass or in a tunnel. I tried to buy a vehicle with out satellite radio and if I'd ended up ordering one I would have done without, but I got great deals on both vehicles and negotiated the price down to compensate for the unwanted additions. The dealers were welcome to, and encouraged to, remove the satellite equipment, both choose not to do so.

I have XM in one car and Sirius in the other. Liked it when I had a 2 hour commute, not so much with my current 8 minute trip to work. When the free period runs out, I will not subscribe. I really don't see any benefit to paying for it when I can get plenty of radio for free and it doesn't drop every time I'm under an overpass or in a tunnel. I tried to buy a vehicle with out satellite radio and if I'd ended up ordering one I would have done without, but I got great deals on both vehicles and negotiated the price down to compensate for the unwanted additions. The dealers were welcome to, and encouraged to, remove the satellite equipment, both choose not to do so.

Similar situation here. Not a long commute, listen to local morning show, plus gives me traffic. On the way home I usually have my IPOD playing through the FM receiver, can't wait for that to go away.

Clayton

I am looking to purchase a Edge shortly and am looking at Limited's that are pretty loaded. All of them have the Sirius Satellite Radio and I have no use for it. Will listen to my IPOD mostly. It's only $195.00 but I know that I won't use it, so it bugs me that I am paying for it. Can it easily be taken off or is is there because I want the NAV and its part of the package? If it can't be removed, what is the likely hood of getting something else thrown in for similar cost? I want front splash guards ($25), Premium Carpeted Floor Mats in ebony ($69) and a Cargo Area Protector ($90). They all total $184, so less than the Sirius price tag and I will use them. I just wanted to see what the thoughts were on this and what would be the best approach with a salesman to take.

Clayton

I've had plug-n-play Sirius receivers for 3 years now and have really enjoyed the service. One's mostly used in the house as part of the home stereo and the other travels with me in my car. Where I live the radio stations stink and I hate listening to commercials on my commute. Also, I really enjoy the NFL channel for the latest news, interviews, commentary, etc.

My wife's Edge has the Sirius built-in and it's great (she thinks so too). We'll see how long the service lasts before it shuts off (at least 6 months).

I'd try it and see what you think. Can't hurt your resale value if you decide to sell one of these years even if you don't use it.....

Ipod person here, too.

Locally, I have a smorgasbord of radio stations, too.

I didn't think I'd use it, but I was wrong. I use it alllllllll the time.

When you're on the road somewhere in the sticks, you'll have radio, news, sports, weather and even stupid head chat dorks spewing utterly vapid opinions to keep you awake if you're driving when you'd normally be sleeping.

I need to add, contrary to what I said above about the Sirius and XM channels combining.. I was partially correct, but over simplified it. As the details about what will happen with the merger come out more and more daily, it seems that to get both combined channels, one will need a newer - as yet to be even built and released - receiver to get both satellite feeds as they appear to be 'interoperable' signals/radios so cannot pick each others up and will not be made to do so as they will not change the signal type, just update the receivers (car, home, portables, etc) to receive both signals in one unit. That being said, they may combine them in that they might add 'select' channels from one to the other and send it in that signal type.

So, they will combine programming it seems, but to get the full XM and full Sirius programming you would need a new receiver to get said full combined programming, except for those 'select' channels they make cross over channels and stream in both formats. Make sense?

Now, for me, that is not so bad as by all accounts, there is nothing on XM I seek or care to listen to. but, nevertheless it seems those that wish to get both signals will need to buy new units. And, as the reports are speculating and saying, this could be 2-3 years down the road from when the merger is even FCC finalized for them to be seen in actual cars as lead times for car makers to spec them and fit them into cars/dashes is a lot longer than the portable or home kind they can crank out and you can just plug and play and buy from Radio Shack or the internets.

Then, on top of all of this, there is a push for 'a la carte' programming. Paying a base fee for services with select channels... then 25 cents up to a few dollars per channel for other channels - as of yet unknown what the division will be.

So, it is about to get a whole lot more interesting as this develops and unfolds as a lot of pundit speculation abounds, but neither company is commenting much.

But, in the meantime, for those of us that use Sirius, have it in the car, like it, we have nothing to worry about as "both companies said 'no existing radio will be made obsolete by the merger.'"

I have it on our Edge, gave it a try. Do not like it at all. Sounds way too "tinny" - could be the stereo could not be. Dont know dont care. Sounds like they use a 96 kbit or less feed on the compression. It just annoys me. If you listen to talk, it should not be a problem.

I understand there are no commercials on the music, but there is a LOT of talk on a lot of the stations.

I have plenty of local radio to satisfy me too. Plus an iRiver to supplement.

Just negotiate $195 less. Most dealers will comply (at least ime).

Now give me internet uplink radio (it really doesn't exist) so I can choose any station from the web, then I will be happy.

Solas

Clayton

The dealership has already paid for the 6 months on those vehicles that have Sirius. If you do not want it, order a new vehicle without it.

Nobody can turn it back in for credit.

I have it on our Edge, gave it a try. Do not like it at all. Sounds way too "tinny" - could be the stereo could not be. Dont know dont care. Sounds like they use a 96 kbit or less feed on the compression. It just annoys me. If you listen to talk, it should not be a problem.

I understand there are no commercials on the music, but there is a LOT of talk on a lot of the stations.

I have plenty of local radio to satisfy me too. Plus an iRiver to supplement.

Just negotiate $195 less. Most dealers will comply (at least ime).

Now give me internet uplink radio (it really doesn't exist) so I can choose any station from the web, then I will be happy.

Solas

I notice different stations must have different bandwidth/compression. at least on the dockable XM I've had for 2+ years most of the talk stations and music vary greatly (to me) in sound quality. one of the 'upcoming events' sports channels is so bad it sounds like a robot is talking (maybe it is, who knows). I have not tried the factory Sirius, wasn't interested so skipped it. I knew they're combining anyway, and I have the radio I can use in my home or car anytime or discontinue (unlikely) that I'm happy with.

like you folks said, it's "free" so why not. BTW, if you added all the same options onto the SEL except it would be more than buying the Limited, and Limited has more options beyond that, which I'm sure is already apparent.

I will not be signing up once the six month freebie is over. I have my mp3 and 6 disc CD but all I really listen to is talk/traffic/sports and there are lots of free over the air stations with local content.

I actually like the comedy offerings for the few spots where free radio gets crappy or drops off but it is not worth it. I also get ticked at the commercials and would be more irritated if I were actually paying.

The commercials are just going to get worse also. When they first went to pay TV in our area it was "going to cost extra but you would not get the commercials". Yeah, and our check was in the mail ! With what they are paying some of the "stars" and the subscription rates I don't see how it is a viable economic model in its current state. Rates will need to go up which would likely reduce subscribers or alternate revenue streams will have to be found. Can you say more Ads ?