6 months and 17000 miles

dpboone

I picked up the 2007 Edge SL+ from the dealer on October 1. Since then I have put 17000 miles on it (I am in the medical sales business covering 3 states). I changed the oil at 800 miles (don't trust the factory oil) and every 5000 miles (not 7500 like the manual suggests). Always Mobil 1 5W-20 and a Mobil 1 filter.

I had an 01 Lincoln LS that I put 130,000 miles on with the normal wear-outs and repairs. Considered the MKX, but the price differential was just too great (I purchase FMC products under my fathers retired Ford purchase plan).

So Far So Good. I had to have the roof buffed by the dealer due to a crummy carwash, but that is it.

FAST, ECONOMICAL, and QUIET. . . .Love this Car.

I picked up the 2007 Edge SL+ from the dealer on October 1. Since then I have put 17000 miles on it (I am in the medical sales business covering 3 states). I changed the oil at 800 miles (don't trust the factory oil) and every 5000 miles (not 7500 like the manual suggests). Always Mobil 1 5W-20 and a Mobil 1 filter.

I had an 01 Lincoln LS that I put 130,000 miles on with the normal wear-outs and repairs. Considered the MKX, but the price differential was just too great (I purchase FMC products under my fathers retired Ford purchase plan).

So Far So Good. I had to have the roof buffed by the dealer due to a crummy carwash, but that is it.

FAST, ECONOMICAL, and QUIET. . . .Love this Car.

Thanks for the update dpboone. You do put lots of mile on your vehicles! I don't blame you changing the oil every 5,000 miles. I change my oil even more than that. Every 5,000 km. That is probably 4,000 to 4,500 miles. (And my manual says to change it every 12,000 km) Forget that.

I just picked up my Edge last week. I have 320 km on it. lol Not sure when I am going to make my first oil change.

Dave

Bought ours in Dec 2008. I originally bought it for wife, but she decided she wanted something smaller, so I traded our Mariner for a Milan for her to drive and she loves it.

I have over 15K on our Edge, yes I put lots of highway miles on it. Lots of travel to New Mexico and and back.

no BAMR, no NAV, just FWD Limited options and ABSOLUTELY NO problems. Have NOT even been to the dealer. I do my own oil changes @ 4K with a synthetic 5W20 blend.

No leak irritations, no noise maladies, no seat headrest complaints, no chrome aliments, no clunk grievances, no Sync annoyances, and mileage is acceptable @ 18 MPG all around.

Is it perfect?? Would I change some options, Would I wish FOMOCO had offered a better product?

Of course.

But for my expectation of a CUV to do what I paid it to do and as a base for expectations- since I AM a Ford guy, it has been a good, trouble free vehicle.

So- perhaps I have been luck for 15K miles??? We shall see.

Thanks for the update dpboone. You do put lots of mile on your vehicles! I don't blame you changing the oil every 5,000 miles. I change my oil even more than that. Every 5,000 km. That is probably 4,000 to 4,500 miles. (And my manual says to change it every 12,000 km) Forget that.

I just picked up my Edge last week. I have 320 km on it. lol Not sure when I am going to make my first oil change.

Dave

5000km = just over 3100 mi (I always use .6 to convert, but really it's .62). so you're very diligent!

as for the Ford factory oil comment, the Motorcraft stuff is actually pretty good and probably one of the best bang-for-the-buck motor oil I've ever tried. it's a semi-synthetic and barely costs more than the pure dinosaur stuff. I have used it (5W-30) for oil changes and topping off for the last 4-5 years on my 9 year old 115,000mi Ranger. seems to run a little bit smoother and quieter, especially cold, with the same or less burnoff than some big name-brand stuff. I can even rev the engine a wee bit more in stop and go driving than normal with no worry.

obviously you're better with a full synthetic as I see most people saying they convert their Edge to during the first few oil changes. but the dino-blend works good especially on middle age vehicles that are not running full syn.

OK, you prob have a good point there. :) there is that school of thought that the 20W flows better for normal driving, and really the 30W temp range exceeds any possible operating temps that normal driving will cause... therefore should only be used for towing or high temps (i.e. serious desert driving or racing) to avoid loss of viscosity.

as for me, I'll generally just use whatever's in the manual unless I have a much better reason otherwise. BTW people can always mix 5W-20 and 5W-30 if they can't decide, or want to "average" the hi-temp properties of both. I've done that many a time