Battery drain, bcm questions

rmk184

I am having the battery drain issue, I've read several threads regarding the issue. I've changed the battery, ignition switch, and starter so far. Has anyone replaced the body control module or does it need to be flashed by the dealer?

The car charges when running and will start but struggle. I measured if battery voltage is holding at 12v it will drop 2 volts when the battery terminals are connected and not recover.

I am having the battery drain issue, I've read several threads regarding the issue. I've changed the battery, ignition switch, and starter so far. Has anyone replaced the body control module or does it need to be flashed by the dealer?

The car charges when running and will start but struggle. I measured if battery voltage is holding at 12v it will drop 2 volts when the battery terminals are connected and not recover.

What is the alternator charging at under load? 12 volts is not enough that is a dying battery. What are the CCA's on the battery? Is there a parasitic draw on the system. Shift to park lights? Door ajar lights etc.

It's charging at 14v, the battery is brand new. There were no lights or indications at first. I replaced the starter and now the Sync system is giving me the "shutting down to save power" and "turn ignition off or start vehicle". The weird thing is when I try to start it, it acts like the battery is low and the starter clicks then starts. When sitting with the battery connected, it settles at about 10.6volts.

It's charging at 14v, the battery is brand new. There were no lights or indications at first. I replaced the starter and now the Sync system is giving me the "shutting down to save power" and "turn ignition off or start vehicle". The weird thing is when I try to start it, it acts like the battery is low and the starter clicks then starts. When sitting with the battery connected, it settles at about 10.6volts.

10.6 volts is way to low!!! Your new battery is toast or it's not getting charged. Resting voltage is 12.5 to 12.7 volts on a good battery.

• Like 1

Have you let the car sit overnight for at least 8 hours after shutoff & all plugin accessories removed? The PCM needs to learn the charging characteristics of the new battery, that is one DIY way to do it. Or the dealer can reset the BMS for you.

Yep.

10.6 volts is way to low!!! Your new battery is toast or it's not getting charged. Resting voltage is 12.5 to 12.7 volts on a good battery.

Resting disconnected is 12v, but connected to the car its around 10.6v

Alternator would probably be the best problem, next on the list. Since the starter was replaced it will start almost every time, even with the 10.6v and the battery saver message on.

Yep.

Resting disconnected is 12v, but connected to the car its around 10.6v

Alternator would probably be the best problem, next on the list. Since the starter was replaced it will start almost every time, even with the 10.6v and the battery saver message on.

It really looks like you purchased a bad battery which can happen. I'd run back and have them replace it. Not saying you don't have a parasitic battery drain problem just a bad battery. My 2011 SEL definitely has a parasitic drain issue but it usually never sits long enough to be a problem.

Edited by fishx65