Any good resource on sync 3 hardware and software versions?

What I know:

- Sync 3 only works on sync 3 hardware which can be changed in the middle of a model year such as for the MKX.

- Current version is 2.3 for downloads but there is a version 3 on new cars

- Waze will work on some form of version 3 but does not seem to work yet even on new cars

- You can buy and install sync 3 hardware on sync 2 cars and climate, heated seats, etc will work just fine

So is there a resource somewhere that gives more detailed info on all this. For example if I get my hands on the download for v3 for a 2018 edge would it work on a 2017 MKX? If not what are the models that are compatible and which are not?

Ive got my sync3 that I installed in my 2012 (replacing MFT) running v3.0.

There are plenty of links to obtaining the v3.0 but your best bet is here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41251. These releases are a result of developers pulling them off a 2018 and re-packaging for distribution.

Youre doing this at your own risk as it is not an official ford release!!!! See what I did there?

Also, Waze is not released on any ford vehicle yet, 3.0 or otherwise.

Just to blow your mind, 2018 fords in China are being delivered with sync v3.2 installed.

Edited by candurin

Just to blow your mind, 2018 fords in China are being delivered with sync v3.2 installed.

What? I expect the hardware to be built in China but not sure where it would be designed. For sure the software comes from Blackberry so probably from Canada.

It's like Android vs phone makers all over again. They can come out with Android version 100 but if the phone makers does not push it you could be stuck forever to version 99, 98, 90, 80...

I used to work for Nokia before it went bust and phones sold internationally would have more features and later version than USA phones. AT&T would actually force Nokia to cripple the software and disallow using your phone as a wifi point or being able to load different ringtones because they wanted to charge for those things separately. Apple changed all that by being important enough and directly pushing their own updates. Google has their own phones but others are still hostages.

Just like BMW now starting to charge yearly to be allowed to use carplay or android auto. Right now all automakers are looking at going to subscription services. Tesla that can unlock more battery with a code for $$$. Hardware already there for autopilot but has to be unlocked. Maybe we will even see basic things such as heated seats installed but needing to be unlocked.

Right now all I want is carplay so 2.3 will do the job but once waze is available I want that ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...