is there anything we can do to get better gas milage

miran587

Another pseudo expert arises. Vehicles from the factory with full synthetic oil have different cylinder honing than our Ford engines. If you replace with a full synthetic before the rings seat, they may become barrell shaped and the cylinder walls may glaze.

Do whatever you want to do, just don't try to come off as a reliable source of engine lubrication insight. Somebody might believe you. :banghead::censored:

And your expertise is???

It has been proven many times that synthetics will NOT damage a engine from mile 0.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...tics/Myths.aspx

And as for my qualification:

How's 35 years of experience with both Ford and GM service dept's. And to add on top of that a brother that was a drivetrain engineer for GM for 15 years.

Now I will agree if the engine is a rebuilt or something from pre-1990. Those engines are not manufactured and honed at the precision that is used on new vehicles today and their rings will not be as tight and will need to set in.

The point is new engines are built at such tight tolerances that the rings shouldn't have to "seat" themselves, the engine is tight.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by jpeckinp

• 2 weeks later...
And your expertise is???

It has been proven many times that synthetics will NOT damage a engine from mile 0.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...tics/Myths.aspx

And as for my qualification:

How's 35 years of experience with both Ford and GM service dept's. And to add on top of that a brother that was a drivetrain engineer for GM for 15 years.

Now I will agree if the engine is a rebuilt or something from pre-1990. Those engines are not manufactured and honed at the precision that is used on new vehicles today and their rings will not be as tight and will need to set in.

The point is new engines are built at such tight tolerances that the rings shouldn't have to "seat" themselves, the engine is tight.

EDIT: spelling

I agree the Ford Edges come with Semi-Syntnetic from the factory, the only reason not full synthetic is the cost. But all new vehicles can use synthetic from 0 miles all the way up. As for K & N filters, I have used them on all my race vehicles and on road vehicles with the best of luck, it is just an opinion thing. If in a dusty climate a pre-charger is recommended but if using a K & N filter you can not just spray it and get it soaking wet with the oil. Also they work better when they do get dirty and do not recommend cleaning for 50,000 miles but of course I clean it every 5,000 miles.

I have raced the Baja 500 and 1000 as well as district 38 AMA and never had an engine failure with K & N and some people use the foam type and never have failure either, it is preference, yes the paper allows more air then foam but the Edge's airbox is enclosed and not running a conical style air filter as in cold ai intakes.

My experience is 22 years certified mechanic, I also am OMC certified as well as Paxman Valenta racing diesel RP200M certified and racing offroad vehicles since I was 5 years old. I believe in K & N and IMO they work great as well as synthetic, less heat, more HP and MPG as well.

Also take a look at Amsoil site, they will provide analysis on their oil and do not recommend oil changes for 25,000 miles and I put in my 05 Harley and lowered engine temp but 18 degrees, which is a lot for an air cooled engine and dyno tested 3 more HP and got 2 more MPG....

Lee

I agree the Ford Edges come with Semi-Syntnetic from the factory, the only reason not full synthetic is the cost. But all new vehicles can use synthetic from 0 miles all the way up. As for K & N filters, I have used them on all my race vehicles and on road vehicles with the best of luck, it is just an opinion thing. If in a dusty climate a pre-charger is recommended but if using a K & N filter you can not just spray it and get it soaking wet with the oil. Also they work better when they do get dirty and do not recommend cleaning for 50,000 miles but of course I clean it every 5,000 miles.

I have raced the Baja 500 and 1000 as well as district 38 AMA and never had an engine failure with K & N and some people use the foam type and never have failure either, it is preference, yes the paper allows more air then foam but the Edge's airbox is enclosed and not running a conical style air filter as in cold ai intakes.

My experience is 22 years certified mechanic, I also am OMC certified as well as Paxman Valenta racing diesel RP200M certified and racing offroad vehicles since I was 5 years old. I believe in K & N and IMO they work great as well as synthetic, less heat, more HP and MPG as well.

Also take a look at Amsoil site, they will provide analysis on their oil and do not recommend oil changes for 25,000 miles and I put in my 05 Harley and lowered engine temp but 18 degrees, which is a lot for an air cooled engine and dyno tested 3 more HP and got 2 more MPG....

Lee

Lee I raced District 37 for 10 years and traveled many thousands of miles in Baja on various dirt bikes.

One thing you need to watch out for is that if the K&N is oiled too heavily on a modern vehicle, the oil will evetually coat the air mass sensor. I recently was at a Pep Boys and saw for sale cans of air mass sensor cleaners, so it must be a common occurance. Have you ever been to Sanfrancisquito Bay? It is about 70 miles south of bay of L.A. I am too old to do off road racing, so about 8 years ago I started motorcycle road racing.

Edited by DUCKRACER

The 08 AWD Edge SEL gets 15 city 22 hwy mpg. I seriously doubt you are going to keep it under lowering your RPM's would work, since the highway mileage is better. The FWD SEL would only get you about 2 more MPG. There is nothing you can add to the vehicle that would get you better gas mileage. When did you buy the Edge? You could trade it in for an Escape Hybrid, which gets 20 city & 26 Hwy. Ford will not be selling the Edge in 09, it is changing to the Flex. The Flex has a slighlt higher MPG for city and hwy. If your sticking to Ford, I would suggest not try to keep your rpm's down, just dont accelerate to quickly and try to do the usual things to avoid getting stuck in traffic(impossible.)

Just to let you know - Ford just released information regarding a recall on 08 model Edge and MKX AWD vehicles built from June 13, 2008 to June 17, 2008. There are only about 142 affected vehicles.The reason for the recall is a small cavity or surface depression may have developed outside the fuel tank at the location of a spot weld during the manufacturing. The small cavity or depression may cause fuel weepage or drip from the tank. Fuel in the presence of an ignition source could cause a fire. The information regarding vehicles sold was released to dealers June 27th. You can contact Ford or your local Ford dealership if you purchased your vehicle after the dates listed above.

does anybody have some tips to get better gas milage on my sel awd edge. ive heard knn filter but probably wont do anything and alo heard keep rpm's under 2k kind of hard to do. with gas at 3.50 and rising . im getting like 16mpg any input thanks

Ford will not be selling the Edge in 09, it is changing to the Flex.

Hi fordchic. :D Just addressing the above Edge/Flex statement. As others have already stated (with varying degrees of humor), your information is incorrect. The Flex is not replacing the Edge. They are two completely different vehicles, completely different sizes, different seating arrangements (Edge is 5 passengers, Flex is 6-7), and are aimed at two completely different demographics/buyers. They will both be available for a long time to come.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530