is there anything we can do to get better gas milage

miran587

Just turned 15k on the wifes Edge. The biggest things I have found are gas, air filter, and speed.

Living here in Iowa the state gives us a tax break on 10% blend ethanol. But if I run regular 87 octane it seems to get 1-2 mpg better. But I run the ethanol blend to support the farmers and save 10 cents a gallon.

I also just changed out the air filter. It wasn't that dirty. But after the wife ran 2 tanks thru the Edge after the filter change it picked up another 1-2 mpg.

The biggest thing is speed. I have a heavy foot. Interstate speeds here in Iowa are 70 mph. I cruise at 79 mph. I just got done making an 800 mile round trip and averaged just over 25 mpg at an average speed of 60+ mph. The speed was taken off of my GPS, and the mpg figured the old fashion way, but the trip computer wasn't that far off either number. But I have also done a 60 mile trip at 58 mph (killed me) and it was pushing just under 27. So I will drive faster and loose 2 mpg.

Now my wife drives conservative. 70-72 mph on the interstate. Easies on to the gas. and she will pull numbers less then I do, by 2-3 mpg. We made the same 80 mile round trip. First day the wife drove and got just above 21 mpg. The next day, I took the Edge and got just over 23 mpg. The outside air was the same, no wind, just different driving types.

My wife thinks I am crazy, but she has seen the numbers. I have gone out in the middle of no where on a 2 lane black top, stopped and reset the trip computer. Then I slowly take off, trying to keep the rpms under 2500, up to 60 mph. Then drive a 5 miles and see what the average mpg number is. I then turned around went back to the exact same starting point, turned around to go back the same way I originally was. Then I reset the trip computer and punched it. All the way to 60 mph then drove as normal to the same location.

From everything I have been told I should have got worse mpg the second trial. I didn't!!! The trial where I punched it actually got better numbers, and it was by a 2-3 mpg. The arguement I had with my wife was, when I punched it, I was getting poor mpg for the first 7 seconds or so, until I reached 60. Then I was getting the average 25. But on the trial where I tried to keep the rpms under 2500 I was getting so-so mpg for 20-30 seconds. Or 3-4 times longer then the first trial. She still thinks I am full of sh__ but saw the numbers and thinks I may have a little piece of truth in what I say.

Now with that said. If you are hammering on it all the time, of course you are going to be getting piss pour mpg. But if you do it every once in a while, I think it actually may help. But I wont be writing any papers on it any time soon. Also city driving kills the Edge. Short trips seem to be the worst.

But IMO, change the oil every 5k miles or sooner, keep a good air filter in it, keep the tires filled with air and rotate every other oil change, run 87 octane gas, and unload the car (if it's not winter, take out the survival gear). Otherwise, besides, chips, exhaust, and performance air intake your kind of limited.

But try the gunning the throttle test sometime. And let me know if you come up with the same or different.

Just turned 15k on the wifes Edge. The biggest things I have found are gas, air filter, and speed.

Living here in Iowa the state gives us a tax break on 10% blend ethanol. But if I run regular 87 octane it seems to get 1-2 mpg better. But I run the ethanol blend to support the farmers and save 10 cents a gallon.

I also just changed out the air filter. It wasn't that dirty. But after the wife ran 2 tanks thru the Edge after the filter change it picked up another 1-2 mpg.

The biggest thing is speed. I have a heavy foot. Interstate speeds here in Iowa are 70 mph. I cruise at 79 mph. I just got done making an 800 mile round trip and averaged just over 25 mpg at an average speed of 60+ mph. The speed was taken off of my GPS, and the mpg figured the old fashion way, but the trip computer wasn't that far off either number. But I have also done a 60 mile trip at 58 mph (killed me) and it was pushing just under 27. So I will drive faster and loose 2 mpg.

Now my wife drives conservative. 70-72 mph on the interstate. Easies on to the gas. and she will pull numbers less then I do, by 2-3 mpg. We made the same 80 mile round trip. First day the wife drove and got just above 21 mpg. The next day, I took the Edge and got just over 23 mpg. The outside air was the same, no wind, just different driving types.

My wife thinks I am crazy, but she has seen the numbers. I have gone out in the middle of no where on a 2 lane black top, stopped and reset the trip computer. Then I slowly take off, trying to keep the rpms under 2500, up to 60 mph. Then drive a 5 miles and see what the average mpg number is. I then turned around went back to the exact same starting point, turned around to go back the same way I originally was. Then I reset the trip computer and punched it. All the way to 60 mph then drove as normal to the same location.

From everything I have been told I should have got worse mpg the second trial. I didn't!!! The trial where I punched it actually got better numbers, and it was by a 2-3 mpg. The arguement I had with my wife was, when I punched it, I was getting poor mpg for the first 7 seconds or so, until I reached 60. Then I was getting the average 25. But on the trial where I tried to keep the rpms under 2500 I was getting so-so mpg for 20-30 seconds. Or 3-4 times longer then the first trial. She still thinks I am full of sh__ but saw the numbers and thinks I may have a little piece of truth in what I say.

Now with that said. If you are hammering on it all the time, of course you are going to be getting piss pour mpg. But if you do it every once in a while, I think it actually may help. But I wont be writing any papers on it any time soon. Also city driving kills the Edge. Short trips seem to be the worst.

But IMO, change the oil every 5k miles or sooner, keep a good air filter in it, keep the tires filled with air and rotate every other oil change, run 87 octane gas, and unload the car (if it's not winter, take out the survival gear). Otherwise, besides, chips, exhaust, and performance air intake your kind of limited.

But try the gunning the throttle test sometime. And let me know if you come up with the same or different.

is there a chip to give it better gas milage if so were do i get one

As stated, rapid acceleration yields marginally poorer fuel economy. The real MPG killer is braking - total momentum energy loss. Anticipate lights and avoid stopping if possible.

Take the route that provides the least amount of stopping and starting.

Keep tires inflated to the upper limit.

The computer is programmed to provide optimal fuel economy at moderate highway speeds. Driving habits can provide better gains than a chip.

I got 29.2 MPG using hypermiler techmiques - 55-60 mph and minimal braking (55 mph loop around Atlanta) for over 80 miles (going and coming). And I only got passed by 7,000 cars and trucks going 80 mph. :banghead:

I haven't seen a chip or any other performance upgrades that are readily avalible yet, but then again I haven't been looking that hard either. I would assume someone is working on one, but then again maybe not. I agree with Grey, that city driving is hell on mpg. I just checked my wifes, and she has only driven around town this week, and the trip computer says 19.8 mpg. Not bad, but most of those trips are 1-2 miles max and a top speed of around 35 mph.

Another thing, if you have less then 5k miles on your Edge, give it time. I didn't start seeing good numbers from our Edge until 7-10k miles.

i find i get the worst gas mileage at startup to around 20 miles, then it adjusts and stay's consistant. but the first 5-10 miles are the worst. i guess once the oil gets nice and hot it's circulating better. kinda makes me want to take the long way home (or actually the wife take the long way home) we're avg.ing 19.x which is about 1mpg better than we were avg.ing. but we're also getting closer to the 5K mark. this is in the SEL+AWD

• 1 month later...
i find i get the worst gas mileage at startup to around 20 miles, then it adjusts and stay's consistant. but the first 5-10 miles are the worst. i guess once the oil gets nice and hot it's circulating better. kinda makes me want to take the long way home (or actually the wife take the long way home) we're avg.ing 19.x which is about 1mpg better than we were avg.ing. but we're also getting closer to the 5K mark. this is in the SEL+AWD

Hi bulldog. :D Two things. First, of course you get the worst mileage from startup through the first 5-10 miles. It is like that with all cars.

Next, are you constantly resetting the MPG readout to find this out? If you are, you are getting an artificially low MPG readout. When you reset the MPG display, it resets to zero. So your reading has to work it's way up from zero to the actual true average reading. That zero reset will always make your MPG display lower than your actual MPG, unless you leave it alone for a longer time period.

To try and explain in another manner: The MPG display is not an immediate readout type of display. It is a calculation which factors fuel use over the course of time. So again, when you hit reset it starts over at 0 MPG and has to work its way up from there. Thus, a falsely low reading in the short run. It needs longer periods of time to achieve and display an accurate fuel use calculation.

I hope this is not too confusing.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I rode with a guy yesterday that was a "stab" driver. He was constantly pushing the gas pedal

even when crusing at 70mph. Anything but smooth. He is the third person I have known to do this.

He was also a tailgater and couldn't get to the next traffic light fast enough, even though he had

cars in front of him. When I asked him why he just said "thats the way I drive".

It also really amazes me how so few drivers use cruise control.

I rode with a guy yesterday that was a "stab" driver. He was constantly pushing the gas pedal

even when crusing at 70mph. Anything but smooth. He is the third person I have known to do this.

He was also a tailgater and couldn't get to the next traffic light fast enough, even though he had

cars in front of him. When I asked him why he just said "thats the way I drive".

It also really amazes me how so few drivers use cruise control.

Here's a guaranteed MPG improver.

Attend your next city council meeting and ask them why they don't coordinate the traffic light to maximize traffic flow instead of maximizing traffic stopping at red lights.

ab

dude. serious? Its on this forum even, and I happen to have one for sale!!!

Now re-read the entire first sentace of my post.

I haven't seen a chip or any other performance upgrades that are readily avalible yet, but then again I haven't been looking that hard either.

A few things you can do. Before ordering, avoid options that add weight (AWD, moonroof, bigger wheels). If you live in a hot climite, order a light color.

Inflate the tires 5 psi over recommended provided you don't go over the max pressure on the sidewall.

Do a complete changeover to synthetic lubricants including engine, power steering, transaxle and rear differential on the AWD models.

Take a look at doing a CAI and a chip. The chip manufacturers can do either performance or economy tunes for anywhere from 87 to 93 octane.

There are several things you can do that don't cost very much at all.

1. Check the tire inflation each month. Underinflated tires create more rolling resistance and overheat as well.

2. Take all of the junk out of it. The more mass you move the more fuel it takes. So remove tool boxes, sports equipment or anything else piling up in there.

3. Accelerate at half the rate you normally would. In other words, go from 0-30 mph in ten seconds instead of five. Slower acceleration does help.

4. Keep the speed below 65 MPH. Higher speed does waste fuel.

5. Create a driving plan the reduces the amount of left turns you have to make and combine trips. I know this sounds silly, but the major carriers such as FedEx and UPS use software to plot routes that minimize left hand turns. The more rights you can make, the less time the driver is stuck sitting at a red light getting 0 mpg.

6. Get creative. Do you really have to drive three blocks to the grocery store or can you take the 10 minutes to walk it? I have cut down my driving to a point where I can actually go a whole month without refilling my Mountaineer. It sucks, but I am out to prove a point that it can be done. And I have lost eight pounds between the added walking and cycling.

One more thing. Don't waste money on the K&N filters. I installed them brand spanking new into my Mustangs until they killed the mass flow sensors. These damn things leak oil that get drawn into and contaminate the induction system. You want to talk about bad fuel economy? I stick with tried and true paper/fiber filters now.

Just don't put a full synthetic in your vehicle before 3,000 miles. Let the rings seat first.

That is a pile of BS. If that was true then no manufacture would use synth oil at all. I can think of numerous cars that are factory with 100% synth oil

Now do you want to rethink your answer.

That is a pile of BS. If that was true then no manufacture would use synth oil at all. I can think of numerous cars that are factory with 100% synth oil

Now do you want to rethink your answer.

Another pseudo expert arises. Vehicles from the factory with full synthetic oil have different cylinder honing than our Ford engines. If you replace with a full synthetic before the rings seat, they may become barrell shaped and the cylinder walls may glaze.

Do whatever you want to do, just don't try to come off as a reliable source of engine lubrication insight. Somebody might believe you. :banghead::censored:

Now re-read the entire first sentace of my post.

I haven't seen a chip or any other performance upgrades that are readily avalible yet, but then again I haven't been looking that hard either.

Fair enough. I have my tuner for my 07 Edge with a 91 octane tune for sale $300 shipped if you're interested. I saw about 2mpg increase with the tune and the power was very noticeable. Save yourself $100 bucks.

Just do a Google search for 'hypermiling'. You'll find hundreds of sites with tips for increasing your mileage. It takes discipline and dedication, but you can get significantly better mileage just by adjusting the way you drive. For me, it takes a lot of the fun out of driving, and I'm just not focused enough.

We had a company-wide teleconference on 'green commuting' last week, and one of the speakers was an employee from Houston who competes in hypermiling contests. He came in second in the last competition, getting 109MPG over 500 miles of city and highway in a box-stock Prius.

Here's a great link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiler

By the way, I don't advocate some of the crazy stuff these people do (tailgating, coasting out of gear, high-speed turns, etc), but it's not at all tough to get an extra 5MPG out of your Edge with just a little effort.

Edited by KCFlyer

my computer read out is know only showing 12.0 mpg can these be faulty and im not a agresive driver either ive actualy been good just to see if gas gets bettter but getting worse

It's almost always correct. How many miles? If you're over 10K or 1 year - have you changed the air filter? Are you doing a lot of idling or stop-n-go driving? Try resetting the avg MPH when you reset the avg MPG. If it's

It's almost always correct. How many miles? If you're over 10K or 1 year - have you changed the air filter? Are you doing a lot of idling or stop-n-go driving? Try resetting the avg MPH when you reset the avg MPG. If it's < 20 that is a clue that it's your driving route to blame.

it has 16k on it and yes i change the air filter. no not alot of ideling but lately it has been mainly city driving and not hard at all. it should still be more than 12 mpg if computer is right and my fill ups only say like 260 miles till empty when filling up it might even be worse than that seeing i havent filled it up in a while

my computer read out is know only showing 12.0 mpg can these be faulty and im not a agresive driver either ive actualy been good just to see if gas gets bettter but getting worse

Hi miran587. :D I am not sure where you live? If it is as hot where you are as it is here, you must be driving around with your A/C on, or the system set to "AUTO" ("AUTO" is the same as having the AC set to on). Is that the case?

If you are, and the majority of your driving is heavy stop and go traffic combined with very short trips, you very well could be getting that kind of mileage.

Try to give us some more information. In addition, to double check the accuracy of the Information Center, try figuring out your gas mileage the old fashioned way for the next few fill-ups. Divide the number of gallons needed to fill the tank into the number of miles driven since the last fill up. That is always the most accurate way.

Good luck. :beerchug:

One more thing. Don't waste money on the K&N filters. I installed them brand spanking new into my Mustangs until they killed the mass flow sensors. These damn things leak oil that get drawn into and contaminate the induction system. You want to talk about bad fuel economy? I stick with tried and true paper/fiber filters now.

I have not picked up my new Edge yet but I will within the next month.

I currently have an 03 Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 and have had great success with a K&N filter.

I installed mine when I had approximately 60,000kms on it.

Durring this time my milage slowly increased through the first 2o,oookms and then after that I was consistantly getting between 475-525 kms on a tank (90Litres).

since then I have put on another 70,000kms With the K&N I am now consistantly getting 575-600kms per tank (best was 637kms). My driving habits have not changed, I am still driving the same route to work each day.

That $60 air filter paid for itself in the first month I used it.

If you had a problem with your Mass Airflow sensor it is probably because you over oiled your filter after cleaning it. Also if you do that, you should notice the vehicle not running properly and that could signal you that you have too much oil and you could clean the sensor.

I'll be installing a K&N on my Edge after the initial break in period.

Use it properly and you should not have any problems.

I personally do not like K&N filters because I have seen first hand the amount of dirt the DO let into the engine during a rebuild. I believe it is not a good trade of to gain a small amount of power and possibly MPG. Now, if you are getting rid of your car in 3 years, then there is no problem, for me, that is not an option.

I agree that braking indirectly hurts MPG. I agree that rapid acceleration does not harm MPG a lot IF not done repeatedly. IF one races to the next red light for 5 lights in a row, the one who does not accelerate hard will get better MPG in the end. If you accelerate hard to get on to the highway (assuming it is not a parking lot), that situation will not reduce MPG by any measurable means.

Items reducing MPG (includes what others stated)

Tire pressure low

A/C On (~1-2MPG less ime)

Windows down (.5-1.5MPG less ime)

Drive Through's (idle)

Accelerating/constant speed up to a red light

Thing to increase MPG

Dont accelerate hard in stop n go traffic

Dont speed (the faster you go, the more air you have to push out of way thus more resistance thus using more fuel)

Avoid drive throughs if you can - walk in if you have the time

Keep unnecessary items out of your vehicle - extra weight reduces MPG

Keep the car clean and waxed and smooth - this most likely will not give any statistically improvement in MPG but generally air goes around smooth objects better than rough - maybe.

Park in shaded areas, vent your windows. If you live in a hot climate, the less you have to A/C your car after it sits outside the better. Plus it will help keep your interior from cracking warping.

Use a windshield sun blocker - keeps sun from getting into the car, see parking in the shade.

I dont know if this helps, but in cold temps, I used to not turn on the heat until the car was warmed up (by driving). I thought that if I was not attempting to pull heat from the engine, it would warm up quicker, this is probably not the case.

Be an early braker. If you see a light turn red, brake early so you will coast up to the light, a lot of times you will get to the light when it is green again and not have to make a complete stop.

You can use hypermilling techniques - however, beware of your area. Many govt's are now cracking down on it will will ticket you (looking at drafting semis). Also, if you are holding up the flow of traffic, I know people who have been pulled over for doing so.

Just my $.0.01