DIY oil changes

Peter520

i wouldnt put to much stock in oil data as far as stocks and bases. If we have learned anything it should be that just because the data sheet says it should be good doesnt mean it will. Its like all the things that are engineered to be unbreakable that break. Somewhere in that mess the real world meets theory and sometimes results are not what we think. I e always said take a long look into what your needs are and find a product or oil that will accomplish that. Usually one product will not cover everything the same.

• Like 2

Mobil1 with Motorcraft filter is what I've been using since around 3-4000 miles.

Unless you have a way to know the exact amount of oil that comes out, it usually takes me a few days to get the oil at the full mark, which is the top hole. Usually after the oil change I'll get it on a flat service & wait about 30-40 minutes to check the level (to make sure that it's around the full mark & safe to drive) & then drive around. 1sr thing in the morning before the 1st drive, i check the oil again & add if necessary & repeat until the dipstick reads full after sitting over night.

With the turbo & all the lines, it'll take a good 30-40 minutes for 'most' of the oil to work its way back to the pan. Usually, if you let it sit over night, then it should have enough time to work it's way back down to the pan. Better to add tiny amounts than bigger amounts & risk over filling.

I believe that the 2.0 requires nearly 6 quarts of oil according to the manual (which i don't have in front of me).

1 thing also to consider is a catch can. I don't know your climate & it really seems to work best (or catch the most contaminants) in temps below freezing. I've caught A Lot of blow by & contaminants with my Catch Can over the last year since it was installed. Most recently, i drained it with around 2,000 miles since i last drained it & it caught a fairly decent amount considering the mileage. To note, last summer, it barely collected anything, maybe a few drops during an oil change (5,000ish miles). Once the temps went below freezing, it started collecting more.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13407-what-have-you-done-towith-your-edgemkx-today/page-74?do=findComment&comment=184115

Edited by Platinum White

I took my catch can off of my 2009 3.5 Edge before trading for a 2017 Titanium 2.0.

Could you please provide some pictures and narrative on installing a CC on a 2.0. Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure if you search my username & catch can, you can find it quite easily, but here you go:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22063-oil-catch-can-on-the-20l-ecoboost/page-2

• Like 2