Adding OEM hitch 2016 Ford Edge Sport

Over the weekend I decided to take a chance and add the oem ford hitch to my 2016 Edge sport. This meant cutting a hole in the bumper, swapping the foot sensors with the split sensors and adding the 4 pin trailer lighting. I had the draw Tite hitch and decided I didnt want to remove the heat shield bumper support or have it hang down. The only down side was fabricating the lower foot sensor mount, it wasnt a direct replacement. If you decide to do this Im not responsible for anything you do to your car.

post-44191-0-06198800-1525702040_thumb.jpeg

Edited by mr_jason
  • Like 6

That looks great! I also was not a fan of how far the aftermarket hitches hang below the bumper. My 2016 is lowered w/H&R springs, so the hitch would have been even lower, approximately 7” above the ground. I would have no fear of cutting the bumper just like you did. Please post any tips, details you care to share and then I’ll decide if I want to go that route. TIA!

Measuring and cutting was a big worry... Mess it up and I'm buying a new bumper cover. I made sure to measure multiple times and cut once taking my time - spent 2+ hours just cutting and measuring. The hitch replaced the metal bumper. I had to replace the foot activated sensors with the 'split' ones from the Titanium with hitch model and fab up a mount for the sensors. Seems to work. I did notice the hitch pin hole is very close to the bumper cover. I use mostly the hitch mostly for a bike rack and getting the bike rack bolt and wrench was a little tough but doable. Here's a few additional photos. I'm not responsible for anything you do to your car.

post-44191-0-88004500-1525959842_thumb.jpg

post-44191-0-60447000-1525959846_thumb.jpg

post-44191-0-18514500-1525959851_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr_jason
  • Like 2

The foot senors still work. This hitch is the OEM version, it doesn't hang below the bumper or require the removal of the supporting plastic/heat shield behind the bumper. It's also not specifically designed for the sport trim. I had an aftermarket hitch and didn't really like how hung below the bumper.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Mr_Jason, that looks great.  I am looking to use the Ford OEM hitch on my 2016 Sport too.  I really like how the hitch is in-line with the exhaust instead of hanging down low affecting ground clearance.   

I see in your write-up that the hitch pin hole is tight.  From the angle of the picture, it is had to tell if the Hitch pin hole is in front of or behind the Sport bottom fascia (between fascia and muffler).  Could you say a bit more about this?  Where is the pin hole in relation to the fascia (front or back)?  Will a locking hitch pin fit?  I have a few Reese hitch pins with the cylindrical locks on them.

Thanks!

Jay

Thanks for the quick response.  I am glad it is on the outside.  The hitch hole is 5/8".  I know some bike racks like my Swagman one uses a 1/2" one.  So it begs the question, is it tight on a 5/8" pin or 1/2" pin?

One other question before ! order the hitch and parts.  Did your Ford Hitch come with the bolts or did you order separate parts.

Thanks for your help!

Jay

Mine came with all the bolts and instructions and torque specs.

I also had to modify and fab up different sensors for the foot activated liftgate.  The existing one on the bumper cover will not work since they go all the way across. 

Edited by mr_jason