Transmission or PTU Leak

We own a 2015 Ford Edge AWD, we were told after an oil change that the transmission was leaking and that it is a sealed unit so we had to take it to a dealership to get it fixed.

The dealership told us it wouldn't be covered under warranty because it was the wrong fluid in it. My wife and I have never done any or approved any transmission work and the vehicle is just coming to our 2 year anniversary of owning it.

I pushed until they took an oil sample, the service manager insisted on taking it out of the transaxle. The fluid they pulled is brown and smells horrible. They pulled it from the passenger side of the motor. After hearing about the PTU leaks I am wondering if they didn't pull the sample out of the PTU.

The service manager is raving about his mechanic and he is sure that he pulled it from the right place. I am thinking my next step is to find another dealer to take it to, living in Montana that means an hour drive somewhere.

The dealership has already told Ford corporate that the Walmart we get our oil changes done at put the wrong fluid into the transmission.

Any thoughts?

John

I'd spring to take it to another dealer and tell them everything. Wally World doesn't put fluid in tranby unless you paid for the fluid and requested such. (They don't just have cans of the stuff laying around just to top off someone's tranny). Dealer is trying to avoid the job. May not have tranny certified tech on staff.

• Like 1

I'd spring to take it to another dealer and tell them everything. Wally World doesn't put fluid in tranby unless you paid for the fluid and requested such. (They don't just have cans of the stuff laying around just to top off someone's tranny). Dealer is trying to avoid the job. May not have tranny certified tech on staff.

Bet that's it, because I've heard that Kia Corp's rate they get for warranty work is very low compared to what they get from client paid services.

How does the OP know that Kia Corp was actually called - might have been a bluff - I'd first try another dealer, and if that wasn't satisfactory I'd call Kia Corp.

I wouldn't mention who's been doing the lube services.

• Like 1

They mentioned that they had contacted Ford and told them about the fluid. I hadn't even thought about the difference from warranty repair and me picking up the tab. I did get Ford Service customer support involved, the rep has asked me to keep her informed. I hadn't heard back from the original dealer so I made an appointment with another one in a town about an hour away from us.

The second dealership called me yesterday after looking at the Edge. It is one of the PTU seals that is leaking and he is ordering the part. I plan on updating the original dealership after the repair is done. The service manager shared that the seal that is leaking is in a place that could have confused the original mechanic.

• Like 2