$21,000 Oil Change

I'manedgeowner

Yup, but now there's a pretentious rationalization for not owning one. Sticker shock and reality never has to brought up. Also saw on the BBC's Top Gear where at top speed the tires were good for about 10 minutes and at some cost equal to a small home. So there's 2 reasons for not owning one.

If you're up for a good laugh try one of those on line insurance quotes with some exotic cars. A 3rd reason.

The Wizard,

Beautiful car. What year is it? Original owner? You have to say more than you changed the clutch. It's also one of those cars that has become barn find nest egg. Came across a story a few years back about a guy in Alabama that had one as yard art without an engine and he finally sold it. Through one of those "knew a guy who knew a guy . . ." stories the original engine was found in California. Turned out to be a rare E Type and eventually sold at auction for some outrageous amount. Love stories like this.

akirby,

Yeah but they were a great 3 laps and worth every penny. Which one was your favorite? I was allowed to play with an R8 at a test track and what a car. The Quatro System has come a long way from where it started.

Edited by I'manedgeowner

Definitely the 911 GT3. The handling is surgical - it goes wherever you point it. And once you get the engine past 4K on the way to a 9K redline it sounds great.

The 458 was also great that wonderful flat plane crank V8 behind your head.

The track is fantastic - Atlanta Motorsports Park just north of Atlanta. It’s a racing country club. The event was with Xtreme Xperience.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b24bX2vlD2s

I agree that the E-type (XKE in America) was arguably the most beautiful car ever built and I wish I had owned one. As it happens, I was working in a dealership way back when you would still see them on the road occasionally and had the "privilege" of explaining to the owner why his clutch change would take so long and cost so much.

The rarest car I ever owned was a '71 Mustang Boss 351. And that was back when it was just a nice used muscle car that nobody knew would become a collector item.

akirby,

Track events like these are great. I took a couple of the grandkids to one at MIS where they got some laps driven in a 63, 289 Shelby Cobra and that sealed their love and appreciation for cars. It really helped with the "grandpa always busy in the garage" complaints. They're a lot older now and will come by just to hang out in the garage too now. Gramma felt cheated though.

The Wizard,

I've heard and read that Enzo said the same about the E Type. Best looking car ever made. I've also read that Bond only had a DB5 because Jag wouldn't give them an E. Apparently they Jag didn't need any promotional or marketing help with the car. It gets said a lot that this or that car looks like it going 100 MPH sitting still but it's definitely true about the E. Any chance you saw the Gas Monkey episode where the found a rust bucket E and still made good money on it selling it as is?

Ouch about the Boss. It was always a coveted car but not like it is now. If you had a Mustang the Boss was the one to have. Too few of the muscle car era cars have survived unfortunately. The closest I came to owning a coveted car back in the day was one of the 100, 427 Thunderbolts but it was sold before I put the $1,200 together to get it. I was still in high school at the time and fought with my parents about getting it and only talked them in to it because it was an automatic. To them, a 4 speed meant "trouble making criminal in training." Those were the days huh? Long shot question but do you know what happened to your Boss? I use to go to the drag strip with one of my sisters boyfriends in 71 and 72. He had a Nova and sold it around the same time and bought it back around 20 years ago. Once he realized that it was his actual car he had to have it. Not really a collector car but to him it's priceless to him. I also know this girl who lost her virginity in it and if the car was ever to be sold again she'd be the first in line for it. Funny about what cars can do to or for people.

In addition to driving Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, Audis and Corvettes they also offer rides in a pace car with a pro driver. They have a pair of Mitsubishi Evo Xs and they put the hammer down even with 4 people in the car. It’s a thrill ride all by itself and if you’re driving it helps you learn the track a little before you drive. And it’s only about $50.

http://www.thextremexperience.com

Great Father’s Day, birthday or Christmas gift.

• Like 1