18" 10 spoke wheels peeling around edges

sntil1968

Today I washed and waxed my 07 edge only to find that the clear coat around the chrome insert on my 18 inch wheels peeling. That right if you have these wheels the chrome is just a plastic insert. I originally thought that it was brake dust building up around the outer lip. I also noticed that after I washed the car water builds up behind this insert. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed any problems with their wheels? I am going to take it in and see if ford will exchange them. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Today I washed and waxed my 07 edge only to find that the clear coat around the chrome insert on my 18 inch wheels peeling. That right if you have these wheels the chrome is just a plastic insert. I originally thought that it was brake dust building up around the outer lip. I also noticed that after I washed the car water builds up behind this insert. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed any problems with their wheels? I am going to take it in and see if ford will exchange them. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

I got my rims replaced last month with no questions asked..hopefully it won't happen after next winter.

• 1 month later...

my 2007 ford edge sel plus awd with 18 inch chrome clad wheel all started peeling around all 4 rims. called the dealorship and was replaced with no question...

anyone know if the chrome mirror from the lincoln mkx fits on the edge../?

anyone know where to get the chrome window sill mold for a 2007 edge? (all 4 pieces per side)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem and noticed it back in March. From what the dealer has told me it has something to do with debris getting between the chrome clad and the aluminum wheel and scratching the clear coar on the wheel, thus creating a crappy looking wheel lip.

There is no fix as of yet, except to replace the wheels with the same type of wheel that will do the samething.

My dealer said they have contacted their service adviser about the problem and he said that the engineers are working on a TSB/fix for the problem, but as of July 17 nothing yet.

I had no idea what we were actually paying for with these wheels. At $800 !

I didn't even want them, but sometimes you have to take an option or two you don't want when buying off the lot.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to inspect mine...

-Larry

Edited by LarrysEdge

• 2 months later...
my 2007 ford edge sel plus awd with 18 inch chrome clad wheel all started peeling around all 4 rims. called the dealorship and was replaced with no question...

anyone know where to get the chrome window sill mold for a 2007 edge? (all 4 pieces per side)

The chrome mirror caps can be purchased alone from dealer I've been told.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08-FORD-...emZ290261282440

http://www.fenderworld.com/Shop/Control/Pr...id/0/rid/129162

Edited by DJ Nap