2008 SEL FWD "Stability Control System" ?

abowie

Just bought a 2008 SEL FWD Edge...really enjoying the ride after driving an Explorer for several years. The Edge owner's manual refers to the "Stability Control System"...apparently there's a switch on the dash that you can turn this feature off/on...(little car icon w/ tire marks). I can't find anywhere in the manual that explains what exactly the "Stability Control System" does....or why/when you would want to switch it off. The Edge always starts with it on and you can swith it off which makes the icon light up on the dash instrumentation. Also, if this feature promoted driving/steering stability, why would you want to ever turn it off....does it affect gas mileage? Thanks for any clearification with this!

I can't find anywhere in the manual that explains what exactly the "Stability Control System" does....or why/when you would want to switch it off.

You didn't look very hard - there is an entire section on Traction Control, Electronic Stability Control and Roll Stability Control in the manual under Driving->Driving Controls (pages 216-219 in the 2007 manual).

Traction control prevents the wheels from spinning. If you're in deep snow or mud you might need to turn it off to allow one wheel to spin freely and dig down in the snow or mud to find traction.

You should never *need* to turn off stability control, but some people do so they can drive more aggressively (which, ironically, is probably when you need it the most).

I have always found this ability kind of odd..

I had the same button in my VW and in 7 years of ownership (with many trips to colorado and the local mountains to ski) I pressed it exactly..... 0 times

I expect to use that same button on my Edge exactly.... 0 times

It's one of those things that you may never need to use, but the one time you do need it you REALLY need it - otherwise you'd be stuck.

You didn't look very hard - there is an entire section on Traction Control, Electronic Stability Control and Roll Stability Control in the manual under Driving->Driving Controls (pages 216-219 in the 2007 manual).

Traction control prevents the wheels from spinning. If you're in deep snow or mud you might need to turn it off to allow one wheel to spin freely and dig down in the snow or mud to find traction.

You should never *need* to turn off stability control, but some people do so they can drive more aggressively (which, ironically, is probably when you need it the most).

Thanks for the help. I saw that section in my 2008 manual and couldn't interpret if "Traction Control", "Electronic Stability Control", and "Roll Stability Control" were all separate features for AWD and/or FWD...that referred to their "Stability Control System" mentioned in the instrumentation panel chart. So does driving on dry roads at the speed limit warrant using all of the above ion or off?

I have always found this ability kind of odd..

I had the same button in my VW and in 7 years of ownership (with many trips to colorado and the local mountains to ski) I pressed it exactly..... 0 times

I expect to use that same button on my Edge exactly.... 0 times

ha - I know what you mean. Apparently the "Stability Control System" feature always starts on with the ignition...the Edge manual just didn't give a clear enough descritption about all their buzz words referring to this and when/why/where is the best selection for normal driving with this feature (always on of course....unless you choose off....hmmmm?).

ha - I know what you mean. Apparently the "Stability Control System" feature always starts on with the ignition...the Edge manual just didn't give a clear enough descritption about all their buzz words referring to this and when/why/where is the best selection for normal driving with this feature (always on of course....unless you choose off....hmmmm?).

I would agree that that section in the manual (pp 239-242 in 2008) is best read, then reread to understand what the hell is what with the ESC and RSC and when you might turn it 'off' - uhhhh by pushing a button that appears to come 'on' - lights up :)

Thanks for the help. I saw that section in my 2008 manual and couldn't interpret if "Traction Control", "Electronic Stability Control", and "Roll Stability Control" were all separate features for AWD and/or FWD...that referred to their "Stability Control System" mentioned in the instrumentation panel chart. So does driving on dry roads at the speed limit warrant using all of the above ion or off?

Unless you're stuck in deep mud or snow, or you're trying to push the vehicle to the limits of cornering - there is no need to turn it off - ever.

Traction Control - keeps the wheels from spinning if traction is lost

Electronic Stability Control - prevents the vehicle from understeering or oversteering while cornering by applying brakes to usually one wheel and/or cutting engine power

Roll Stability Control - adds a sensor to anticipate a potential rollover situation and applies one or more brakes and/or cuts engine power to prevent it

Leave it on and forget about it unless you're stuck in deep mud or snow.

Question for the manual readers :read: .

Will the Stability control icon light come on when its doing it's Thing?

Per the manual in our previous ride (BMW X3) the icon WOULD light when it was HELPING :boring: you drive.

PERSONALLY I make it a point NOT to drive beyond my or my rides ABILITIES!!

ab

Question for the manual readers :read: .

Per the manual in our previous ride (BMW X3) the icon WOULD light when it was HELPING :boring: you drive.

PERSONALLY I make it a point NOT to drive beyond my or my rides ABILITIES!!

ab

Yes.

The little 'car and skidmarks' icon on the dash will flash whenever the wheels start to spin on a slick surface. It actually prevents the wheels from spinning. On an icy road, you can push the accellerator all the way to the floor, but with stability control on, it will keep the engine power limited to prevent wheel spin. Turning stability control off is strictly a recreational thing, when having a bit of fun is more important than boring safety. :shades:

also to note.. it you can only turn 'off' the AdvanceTrac RSC system (by pushing the button 'on') when 45mph or below, above 45 mph and it remains active no matter what.

These are very helpful responses and thank you everyone. So let me get this straight: When you start the engine, the AT RSC system is automatically turned on...(but no icon light appears on the dash). If you want to turn it off, you push the dash button and the icon light comes on (like the over-drive light does....when it's lit it's off - when not lit it's on)....Right - I hope? :)

These are very helpful responses and thank you everyone. So let me get this straight: When you start the engine, the AT RSC system is automatically turned on...(but no icon light appears on the dash). If you want to turn it off, you push the dash button and the icon light comes on (like the over-drive light does....when it's lit it's off - when not lit it's on)....Right - I hope? :)

Bingo.

The little 'car and skidmarks' icon on the dash will flash whenever the wheels start to spin on a slick surface. It actually prevents the wheels from spinning. On an icy road, you can push the accellerator all the way to the floor, but with stability control on, it will keep the engine power limited to prevent wheel spin. Turning stability control off is strictly a recreational thing, when having a bit of fun is more important than boring safety. :shades:

Icy road hhmm O now I remember :doh: , we average about 6 days in 10 years. But thanks for the reminder :beerchug: , our last ride was an all wheel drive (the only way they build them) that's probably why the little light never came on.

ab