2016 Edge SE w/o built-in SAT - help?

Mayhem

I traded in my 2014 Fusion 2.5L SE which had SiriusXM and an aux jack in the center console (under the arm rest) for a 2016 Edge SE 2.0L EcoBoost. In my excitement, I failed to notice the 2016 Edge I purchased had neither XM built-into the stereo nor an aux jack anywhere in the car.

SiriusXM gave me a free portable unit with car dock to keep me (been with them 8 years) but I still get stations bleeding in when using the FM transmitter of the XM dock - to the point where it's mostly unusable. There apparently used to be a Bluetooth dock for the OnyxEZ that I got, but it's no longer available and I cannot find it anywhere (not even eBay).

I found an adapter on Amazon that would plug directly into the FM antenna of the HU, not knowing that the antenna that's used isn't the traditional style. So that's being returned.

Is there any way to at least add an AUX port or some other way to get the audio from the portable XM into the HU that doesn't involve trashing the entire system?

The HU is the tiny 4.2" and while I'd love to rip it out for one with Sync3, it's not possible. Yes, I could use a portable bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack of the OnyxEZ, but I'm looking to reduce the clutter of wires I already have.

Thanks.

as i was intrigued by your situation, i had a look for a solution.

strangely, the user manual for my 2016 mentions an input jack but doesn't mention where it is. i have sync3 so i can't look for it.

however, i'm wondering if a jack to usb cable would work for you. plug the audio jack into your sirius device output and the usb into your car.

otherwise, if i were in your shoes, i would consider putting another head unit in the car.

I reached out to PAC who has an adapter that will get me part-way there. The BAA23 will connect an aftermarket antenna to the stock stereo, but they don't have the reverse.

As far as why I'm not using my phone, because of the amount of data involved and the fact that I got a free portable unit from SiriusXM. That, and I'd really like to have some way to plug stuff in. I bought an FM Modulator (SiriusXM part #FMDA) that gives you a 3.5mm male jack but has standard DIN connections for the stereo. Thus my situation.

I already tried a male USB to male 3.5" cable (that was my first attempt to get this to work) but the USB port is looking for some sort of data (ID3 tags or whatever) and plugging in a USB cable with a 3.5mm connector on the other side doesn't cut it.

I reached out to PAC who has an adapter that will get me part-way there. The BAA23 will connect an aftermarket antenna to the stock stereo, but they don't have the reverse.

As far as why I'm not using my phone, because of the amount of data involved and the fact that I got a free portable unit from SiriusXM. That, and I'd really like to have some way to plug stuff in. I bought an FM Modulator (SiriusXM part #FMDA) that gives you a 3.5mm male jack but has standard DIN connections for the stereo. Thus my situation.

I already tried a male USB to male 3.5" cable (that was my first attempt to get this to work) but the USB port is looking for some sort of data (ID3 tags or whatever) and plugging in a USB cable with a 3.5mm connector on the other side doesn't cut it.

what are the DIN connectors like on the head unit? if they're analog, it shouldn't be too difficult to put together a cable to make it work.

thanks for the explanation about the USB port. i didn't know that.

I neglected to take a picture of the HU and cables when I was in the dash and taking everything apart (literally have to pull the center console apart - it's a nightmare) would take me long enough that I'm willing to wait until the parts I ordered come in.

From what I've been able to gather, the connector on the stereo/antenna is some sort of FAKRA connector, similar to this: https://www.ebay.com/i/282789679172?chn=ps (the blue connector)

Finding a connector that has female FAKRA to male DIN for a standard stereo connection has been daunting. BMW and VW supposedly use a similar connector and I'm going to probably have to Frakenstein something together to get it to work. I don't listen to a ton of terrestrial radio, so if I'm stuck just having XM and my 80GB iPod, I'm still ahead.

If I get everything to play nicely, I'll take pictures and post the process in case anyone else happens to run into the same situation.

It still blows my mind that they deleted the AUX port. Had they just left that in, I'd be OK.

Hell, even my wife's 2009 Toyota Yaris has an AUX port between the front seats...

Edited by Mayhem

I traded in my 2014 Fusion 2.5L SE which had SiriusXM and an aux jack in the center console (under the arm rest) for a 2016 Edge SE 2.0L EcoBoost. In my excitement, I failed to notice the 2016 Edge I purchased had neither XM built-into the stereo nor an aux jack anywhere in the car.

You check with your dealer to have them (re)activate Sirus?

• 7 months later...

There is a company called Va is that makes a unit that plugs into your USB port and acts like a media player.  It is not perfect, but it solves the modulator problem.  I just removed mine from my F150 before I trade for an edge.  I will add model info, but you can look at www.vaistech.com. forore info