Fear of the Unknown

tamugrad2013

Well as we sit right now my Edge has 99,786.4 miles and will most likely hit the 100,000 mile mark on or around October 31st. When this happens the extended warranty is no more and I seriously fear what may be around the corner. So I guess the question will be will it be more of a trick or a treat. I most definitely have not had the best luck with this car, but have had very little out of pocket costs except for a 1500 dollar catalytic converter and a few $100 deductibles. I absolutely love the tech features and the comfort of the car, but I really wonder if it will last to 175,000 miles or 2022 when I hope to replace the car.

Also now that the warranty is about to be out I will definitely be doing more wrenching on the Edge myself and will be extremely grateful for the awesome how to's and posts thus far on this site and I hope to be able to provide even more insight throughout the rest of my time on this forum.

The first malfunction to fix is the rear hatch support struts as the first cold temperature we had so far (39 Degrees F) I opened the hatch and it slowly started to shut. Thankfully already found the MACT video and will tackle that over Thanksgiving Break.

I would not worry about it. You have to keep in mind you will ha e small things all the time with any car. Those rear struts are common on any vehical that has that rear lift gate. Im very surprised you needed a cat. These are very good at self cleaning. One tip you must remember is when you first start the car you need to wait for that high idle to come down. Thats not just to keep it running. On the ecoboost it is used to heat the cat and self clean. Keep the oil changed and use gooed oil you will be fine. My mother 2.0 has almost 200,000 with no isssues.

• Like 1

I would not worry about it. You have to keep in mind you will ha e small things all the time with any car. Those rear struts are common on any vehical that has that rear lift gate. Im very surprised you needed a cat. These are very good at self cleaning. One tip you must remember is when you first start the car you need to wait for that high idle to come down. Thats not just to keep it running. On the ecoboost it is used to heat the cat and self clean. Keep the oil changed and use gooed oil you will be fine. My mother 2.0 has almost 200,000 with no isssues.

The cost doesn't scare me as much these days because I have been able to save up more money recently. I don't think the transmission will go again for a long while and the turbo is fairly new as well. My biggest fear in not having a car if it does have to go into the shop as this is my only car. I should have brought my grandmothers 1993 Toyota Camry when she passed for a second car considering it had about 67,000 miles on it but oh well. I think 2000 would be to high just to guarantee a loaner vehicle. Thanks for the responses though.

• Like 1

Ford Protect has the option to get a rental car from day 1 of service. I would call and ask about it, whether the car has to be estimated to be in the shop overnight or not etc.

Always keeping in mind of course that (no pun intended) crossover point when you should look into moving into your next vehicle. Does not have to be new. Just in great condition, and with a nice warranty.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 6 months later...

My 2015 SE V6 model lasted to 189k miles before the water pump gave out. About 2400$ to fix since it's internal and runs of the TIMING CHAIN ?.  Very good car though, never left me stranded. My current 2015 has also been very good. Just had my first CEL, p0456. Currently looking into it.