New light bulb installed on my EDGE!

I finally decided to upgrade my headlight for better performance and style. Stock low beam bulb is bit yellow like most stock halogen bulbs which doesn't stands out at night. Since our headlight does not have the lenses so HID won't be an option. Fog light I picked Yellow, as you know, Vancouver has weather. :reading:

Shipping list is:

1. 1 set of MTEC 4350K Super White H11

2. 1 set of MTEC 3300K Ion Yellow H11

Both from eBay and cost me $70CAD including S/H (shipping took 2 days via Fedex from Taiwan), and both are rated at 55W just like our stock bulbs so I think there won't be any melting problem. And this dealer offers LIFETIME WARRANTY for their bulbs too.

Installation only takes about 20 minutes, there are lots of space under the hood so you can easily remove the low beam bulbs and replace them. Fog light is little hard to reach if you don;t want get under the car, but it still not that hard once you have the connector removed from the bulb. Just be careful not to touch the bulb glass because the oil on our hands will cause overheating to the bulb, that may reduce bulb life.

This is the result:

Low beam is about 20% to 50% better than the stock in performance, and looks much better at night. Fog light is WAY better than the stock, not just the performance (now you can clear see the light beam from them so the others), they also add a 'PRO' look to my EDGE, I think. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

mg1710xo1.jpg

mg1711vb2.jpg

Compare side by side:

mg1716tr9.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Don't worry about it. Actually the difference is big in person than on foto, maybe it due to automatic white balance of my 20D.

Next step is switch 9005 high beam to yellow for my trip to banff next month. :lol:

Then I will have to take your word for it! I will wait for my Edge to arrive...then I'll guage how I like/dislike the headlights and go from there. But thanks for taking the time to post your upgrade in detail for everyone to see.

:rockon:

Don't worry about it. Actually the difference is big in person than on foto, maybe it due to automatic white balance of my 20D.

Next step is switch 9005 high beam to yellow for my trip to banff next month. :lol:

UG, I have seen these type of light bulbs upgraded in person and they seem to be much brighter with a sharper, less diffused pattern.

We have done a side by side replacement with the factory bulb like you have with the headlights about 15' - 20' away from a white painted wall

and you can definitely see the difference.

I like the idea of the highs in yellow. Kind of different. Wouldn't mind seeing pics of that either.

Have you switched out the high beams yet?, and are the high beams also H11 style?

Also; the package says 12v 55W and below that it says 100W.

Are they rated at 55W but putting out an equivalence of 100W? (like the rating comparison on a florescent)

:reading:

• 3 weeks later...
I really appreciate reading about this topic....thank you for posting all this info. I have always thought that stock lamps are to diffuse. One question: What is the purpose of yellow fog lamps? Does it cut thru fog better than white? :shift:

Yes, the yellow light penetrates better. The white light will bounce back.

Try driving with your high beams on in fog and you'll see what I mean. :play:

I finally decided to upgrade my headlight for better performance and style. Stock low beam bulb is bit yellow like most stock halogen bulbs which doesn't stands out at night. Since our headlight does not have the lenses so HID won't be an option. Fog light I picked Yellow, as you know, Vancouver has weather. :reading:

Shipping list is:

1. 1 set of MTEC 4350K Super White H11

2. 1 set of MTEC 3300K Ion Yellow H11

Both from eBay and cost me $70CAD including S/H (shipping took 2 days via Fedex from Taiwan), and both are rated at 55W just like our stock bulbs so I think there won't be any melting problem. And this dealer offers LIFETIME WARRANTY for their bulbs too.

Installation only takes about 20 minutes, there are lots of space under the hood so you can easily remove the low beam bulbs and replace them. Fog light is little hard to reach if you don;t want get under the car, but it still not that hard once you have the connector removed from the bulb. Just be careful not to touch the bulb glass because the oil on our hands will cause overheating to the bulb, that may reduce bulb life.

This is the result:

Low beam is about 20% to 50% better than the stock in performance, and looks much better at night. Fog light is WAY better than the stock, not just the performance (now you can clear see the light beam from them so the others), they also add a 'PRO' look to my EDGE, I think. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

mg1710xo1.jpg

mg1711vb2.jpg

Compare side by side:

mg1716tr9.jpg

UG,

What did you use as a cross reference to find the correct bulbs. Want to add these to my MKX but don't really know which bulbs to order. . . the person ebay doesn't know either. Did you just cross reference the original bulbs or???

Thanks for the help.

Bob

UG,

What did you use as a cross reference to find the correct bulbs. Want to add these to my MKX but don't really know which bulbs to order. . . the person ebay doesn't know either. Did you just cross reference the original bulbs or???

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Bob,

It will tell you in the owners manual what bulbs you need for replacement bulbs. I know on the Edge, the low beams and fogs are H11. The high beams are 9005. Definately look in your owners manual as it will tell you what series of bulbs you need. Another good company to look into is Hoen USA, that is where I purchased my bulbs from. I will see if I can get pictures up tonight.

Bob,

It will tell you in the owners manual what bulbs you need for replacement bulbs. I know on the Edge, the low beams and fogs are H11. The high beams are 9005. Definately look in your owners manual as it will tell you what series of bulbs you need. Another good company to look into is Hoen USA, that is where I purchased my bulbs from. I will see if I can get pictures up tonight.

Perfect; I appreciate your rsponse and thanks for the information.

Bob

Perfect; I appreciate your rsponse and thanks for the information.

Bob

I just replaced my factory headlights with McCulloch Xenon 4300K HID Conversion Kit.

True HID light for my new Copper 07 Edge SEL.

Installed in less then 10min, and boy what a difference at night.

I just replaced my factory headlights with McCulloch Xenon 4300K HID Conversion Kit.

True HID light for my new Copper 07 Edge SEL.

Installed in less then 10min, and boy what a difference at night.

How about some more info. Where to buy, pictures of what they look like????

I am interested, too Da Edge!! More info

I was able to find them thru a local seller on Craiglist in Los Angeles. These are also available in most Car Accessories shops. They have many different brand, and one of the best are the ones I purchased.

You can also try ebay and search under McCulloch HID Xenon.

The Plug and Play kits come with all parts needed, and super easy to install. You do need to change the fuse that controls the headlights from 15 to 25 to handle the HID lights.

I will post pictures soon, as my camera sucks big time and I am purchasing a better one this week.

post-503-1174965544_thumb.jpg

That doesnt look just plug and play. Looks a little more detailed than you made it sound? There are some wires there. Could you maybe give us a write up on what exactly you did.

It sounds like a bunch of us are interested.

Thanks.

Ok here it how I installed them. I used a larger image from a different brand that consists of the same hardware type.

The Yellow arrow points to where the EDGE's headlight connector goes into.

post-503-1175055745_thumb.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is these kits are not street legal. They are sold for off-road or show use only.

If you go above 6000k then yes, they are not street legal. The ones I purchased are the ones used for Audi and BMW which are rated at 4300K.

8000K and above are too blue and 10000K + are purple which are pretty much not legal.

If you go above 6000k then yes, they are not street legal. The ones I purchased are the ones used for Audi and BMW which are rated at 4300K.

8000K and above are too blue and 10000K + are purple which are pretty much not legal.

This is from a website that sells the HID kits you bought, this was taken from Xenonking.com FAQ.

(5) Are these HID light systems street legal?

NO XENON HID conversion kit available from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. Moreover, in the U.S, this is not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for buyers who violate the terms of sale while in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.

From my research is has to do with the headlight assembly design. HID systems reflectors are set up different than halogen. You can buy them, but can still get a ticket for using them on any street. I guess it depends on the police officer. I just want people to be informed as I wanted to purchase HID for my edge until I did more research on it.

Chad

All HID kits, not stock/factory installed, are not street legal; show use only. Anyways, I’m curious as to why you want the HID over the stock halogen? Yellow light is the best for night driving and for poor weather conditions; it cuts through and creates contrast were as blue/white light reflects and washes out detail. I’ve driven in vehicles with both HID and halogen and while the HID is pretty, imho, it’s not practical. In HID vehicles, I could never see anything outside of the light field and the “cut-off” was too severe and left me wondering what I was about to run into. I think HID is kind of gimmicky and I’m glad ford hasn’t fallen for it and uses the safer and more practical halogen. It’s your car and you know whats best for your eyes and style of driving though, so choose wisely! Off topic, I finally found time to test drive the edge and it’s definitely going to be the next one for me!

Louis

When you converted your lights to HID did you need to do anything inline to fool the message center?

I hear that some of the HID's will cause a "Headlight Failed" message on the message center of the Edge due to the voltage difference at the lamp.

One company has a chip in the system to keep this message from happening.

I also hear that since we don't have projector lens' that the beam is not as bright as say a BMW or such...

OK.....Thanks for the info. :rockon: