New light bulb installed on my EDGE!

When you converted your lights to HID did you need to do anything inline to fool the message center?

I hear that some of the HID's will cause a "Headlight Failed" message on the message center of the Edge due to the voltage difference at the lamp.

One company has a chip in the system to keep this message from happening.

I also hear that since we don't have projector lens' that the beam is not as bright as say a BMW or such...

OK.....Thanks for the info. :rockon:

The kit I purchased comes with a Relay Kit that makes the ballast connect directly to the Edge's battery, and avoids any problems with flickering and or message errors.

My HID kits kicks some serious behind, makes my EDGE loOk just like the MKX :rockon:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
The kit I purchased comes with a Relay Kit that makes the ballast connect directly to the Edge's battery, and avoids any problems with flickering and or message errors.

My HID kits kicks some serious behind, makes my EDGE loOk just like the MKX :rockon:

Have you done a side-by-side comparison with an MKX?

You should, because both the Edge and MKX are shipped from the factory with the same exact bulbs. The MKX does not have HID.

• 4 months later...

QUOTE (Da-Edge @ Mar 28 2007, 06:53 PM)

If you go above 6000k then yes, they are not street legal. The ones I purchased are the ones used for Audi and BMW which are rated at 4300K.

8000K and above are too blue and 10000K + are purple which are pretty much not legal.

This is from a website that sells the HID kits you bought, this was taken from Xenonking.com FAQ.

(5) Are these HID light systems street legal?

NO XENON HID conversion kit available from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. Moreover, in the U.S, this is not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for buyers who violate the terms of sale while in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.

From my research is has to do with the headlight assembly design. HID systems reflectors are set up different than halogen. You can buy them, but can still get a ticket for using them on any street. I guess it depends on the police officer. I just want people to be informed as I wanted to purchase HID for my edge until I did more research on it.

Chad

You are correct. As a Police Officer I can attest that a ton of these tickets are written every night. The fines here in NJ vary between municipalities, I dont know about anywhere else, but its definitely not worth it in the Garden State. I know its not the popular

opinion, but hey I'm just the messenger.

Ok, so I'm in the market for the HID kit. First, should I get the 4300k or the 6000k. Also, I read on a thread that the MKX lights will fit the Edge. Is that true? If they don't, I'm probably going to get the Sylvania HID kit I saw on a website. (either 4300k or 6000k)

Hi tiaquessa. :D As others have already posted here, the MKX lights are not HID (if that is why you were asking if they fit).

They are "Adaptive Halogen". In other words, they swivel in the direction you steer. But, they are still regular Halogen bulbs.

Also, as others have already posted here, be very careful with aftermarket "HID Kits". First of all, if you do some research, you will find that many people who have added them have recurring problems. Second, these aftermarket kits are illegal in all states (for on-road use). In fact, the following quote is taken directly from an "Aftermarket" HID Distributor:

Is the conversion kit street legal?

Please note that aftermarket (non-factory) Xenon HID headlight conversions are not legal for use on public roads or highways in the U.S.. For our U.S. customers, we will only sell products or parts for applications that we determine not to be in violation of U.S. laws or motor vehicle code. For customers outside the U.S., it is the responsibility of the customer to check local laws and regulations to ensure that their application is not illegal. We do not endorse any illegal or noncompliant use of our products. Buyers assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or illegal use.

It is not illegal to replace foglights with aftermarket "HID" kits. To get around the DOT prohibition of aftermarket "HID" retrofit kits, many people will replace their foglights with a retrofit "HID" kit, leaving their headlights stock.

Concerning your question as to "4300 or 6000". If you really want more light and to be able to see better, get the 4300. I don't think you are one of those people (God I hope not! :hysterical: ) that thinks blue lights are "Cool", and thinks they are showing off when they drive at night (when really the rest of the world is thinking "Look at the nitwit with the stupid blue bulbs").

Again, copied from an HID website: If your looking for the most light output you should get stage I (4300k) that is the OEM color in Lexus and BMW (and it is not noticeable your lights are conversions).

If your looking for the Very blue look the 6000k stage II is what your looking for, they are more blue than any lights you see on the road. The 6000k Stage II bulbs are actually coated with a blue tent and filters out light to produce the blue color, however when its filtering light out it is producing less light output.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :beerchug:

:angel:

PS - :stop: Just kidding, all you blue-headlighted Forum members, so save your cards and letters! :hysterical2:

:angel:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...

"You do need to change the fuse that controls the headlights from 15 to 25 to handle the HID lights."

Maybe it's just me but I'd be very cautious about simply changing the fuse to 25A. Unless the wire gage is able to conduct the added load, there will be a problem. These Automotive guys and gals are actually pretty good at what they do and things are generally designed to perform a particular job. I don't believe wires are oversized so owners can later change the system(s).

I don't think you are one of those people (God I hope not! :hysterical: ) that thinks blue lights are "Cool", and thinks they are showing off when they drive at night (when really the rest of the world is thinking "Look at the nitwit with the stupid blue bulbs").

PS - :stop: Just kidding, all you blue-headlighted Forum members, so save your cards and letters! :hysterical2:

wow... nice passive aggressive zinger there... :yup:

(and it is not noticeable your lights are conversions).

anyway.. regaurding just this quote you posted from another website, this is not always the prevalent view in all the research one can do.. since the 4300k is more light output than 6000k, it is rather noticeable that they are not stock and in fact conversions. all that bright light and you stand out.

wow... nice passive aggressive zinger there... :yup:

anyway.. regaurding just this quote you posted from another website, this is not always the prevalent view in all the research one can do.. since the 4300k is more light output than 6000k, it is rather noticeable that they are not stock and in fact conversions. all that bright light and you stand out.

Hi Lex. :D Regarding the first quote: Not passive aggressive at all, pretty much an out and out statement. :yup:

Regarding the copy and paste from the Manufacturer/Distributor website: All credible sites I have seen, state that if you want the best light output to actually be able to see better at night, install the 4300k. Higher "k" output will be bluer and more noticeable as aftermarket and illegal. So, as the Manufacturer states, using "k" output over 4300 will be strictly an appearance over function choice. That is according to the Manufacturer, not my opinion.

Let's look at this logically: Most OEM Factory HID's are 4300k. So, common sense would seem to indicate that "k" output other than 4300 will be the ones that will stand out. Makes sense.

Second: I find it hard to believe that any reputable Aftermarket HID Manufacturer or Distributor informs people to put higher than 4300k on their cars for street use, so that it will be less noticeable, because they all tell you that their kits are illegal for use on the street. In fact, they deny all liability in case you do use them for a street car. If they posted that information publicly, they would be in for one heck of a liability lawsuit.

If anyone has reliable information to the contrary, they should post a link to the sites, so it can be verified.

I am not in the market for these HID kits (my MKZ has HID lights), so if anyone doubts the information that the actual Manufacturer and Distributor of HID lighting states on their company websites, they will need to contact those Companies, and ask them to change their websites.

Again, I am not telling anyone what to do with their own cars. You want to put HID headlights on your car, go ahead. I am only providing accurate information, with quotes and links (as I always try to do), not my opinion. In this way, people can make educated decisions. If anyone believes otherwise, they should provide links to credible sites corroborating their point of view.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 1 month later...
I finally decided to upgrade my headlight for better performance and style. Stock low beam bulb is bit yellow like most stock halogen bulbs which doesn't stands out at night. Since our headlight does not have the lenses so HID won't be an option. Fog light I picked Yellow, as you know, Vancouver has weather. :reading:

Shipping list is:

1. 1 set of MTEC 4350K Super White H11

2. 1 set of MTEC 3300K Ion Yellow H11

Both from eBay and cost me $70CAD including S/H (shipping took 2 days via Fedex from Taiwan), and both are rated at 55W just like our stock bulbs so I think there won't be any melting problem. And this dealer offers LIFETIME WARRANTY for their bulbs too.

Installation only takes about 20 minutes, there are lots of space under the hood so you can easily remove the low beam bulbs and replace them. Fog light is little hard to reach if you don;t want get under the car, but it still not that hard once you have the connector removed from the bulb. Just be careful not to touch the bulb glass because the oil on our hands will cause overheating to the bulb, that may reduce bulb life.

This is the result:

Low beam is about 20% to 50% better than the stock in performance, and looks much better at night. Fog light is WAY better than the stock, not just the performance (now you can clear see the light beam from them so the others), they also add a 'PRO' look to my EDGE, I think. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

mg1710xo1.jpg

mg1711vb2.jpg

Compare side by side:

mg1716tr9.jpg

Try Hoen.com, I am using them in my 08 AWD Limited and am happy so far.

Folks ... this is what I had ordered. Delivery within a few days.

His website has tons of information on automotive lighting that is worthwile reading.

Jaak

********************************************************************************

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Jaak wrote:

> Hello ... I have a brand spanking new Ford Edge Limited AWD with H11 as the low beams.<

Ford have recently "gotten it" and have been installing decent optics on their cars (finally). H11 is an ultralong-life, rather low-output bulb

producing 1350 lumens. You can easily and safely replace the H11 low beam bulbs with 2100-lumen H9 items: http://store.candlepower.com/h-9.html -- don't make this substitution in the fog lamps, however.

> I would like to order a pair of your finest. I am looking for a good distance beam pattern down the road as well as one that hopefully lasts longer than a year.<

Can't have all of the above. Higher output = shorter life. Buy spares; they're not too costly.

Your high beams can also be significantly upgraded if you will Replace the existing 9005 bulbs with 9011. The new bulbs are not some tinted or

overwattage version of 9005, but rather employ a relatively new technology called HIR, Halogen Infrared Reflection. The mechanical dimensions of the bulb are all virtually identical to the 9005, but the bulb glass is spherical instead of tubular, with the sphere centered around the filament. There is a "Durable IR Reflective" coating on the spherical glass. Infrared = heat, so the coating causes heat to be reflected back to the filament at the center of the sphere. This causes the filament to become much hotter (producing more light) than it can by passing

electricity through it, *without* the shorter life or greater heat production that comes with overwattage bulbs (to say nothing of

overwattage bulbs' incompatibility with stock wiring.)

Here's the comparison:

stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours

compare: 9005+50, 12.8V, 55W, 1830 lumens, 175 hours

new: HIR1, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours

These bulbs are costly as bulbs go - $23.95/ea - but their cost is worth considering in context: Any number of companies will charge you more than this for a tarted-up 9005 with blue colored glass (PIAA and Sylvania Silverstar come to mind) that doesn't produce more light and has a very short lifespan.

The HIR bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base, this is to comply with the law requiring different bulbs to have different bases. The extra-wide plastic top ear is easily trimmed or filed to make the bulb fit your headlamp's bulb receptacle. Once that's done, they go directly into the headlamp, and the existing sockets snap on. Please see http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/HIRmod.html for details.

The direct order link for these bulbs is http://store.candlepower.com/9011.html

You may also want to install the 30% brighter front turn signal bulbs to maintain the proper brightness ratio with the headlamps: http://store.candlepower.com/p3457akda.html

> For shipping purposes I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada:<

No worries -- Canadian shipping options are provided on the checkout page

of our secure Candlepower website linked above.

I finally decided to upgrade my headlight for better performance and style. Stock low beam bulb is bit yellow like most stock halogen bulbs which doesn't stands out at night. Since our headlight does not have the lenses so HID won't be an option. Fog light I picked Yellow, as you know, Vancouver has weather. :reading:

Shipping list is:

1. 1 set of MTEC 4350K Super White H11

2. 1 set of MTEC 3300K Ion Yellow H11

Both from eBay and cost me $70CAD including S/H (shipping took 2 days via Fedex from Taiwan), and both are rated at 55W just like our stock bulbs so I think there won't be any melting problem. And this dealer offers LIFETIME WARRANTY for their bulbs too.

Installation only takes about 20 minutes, there are lots of space under the hood so you can easily remove the low beam bulbs and replace them. Fog light is little hard to reach if you don;t want get under the car, but it still not that hard once you have the connector removed from the bulb. Just be careful not to touch the bulb glass because the oil on our hands will cause overheating to the bulb, that may reduce bulb life.

This is the result:

Low beam is about 20% to 50% better than the stock in performance, and looks much better at night. Fog light is WAY better than the stock, not just the performance (now you can clear see the light beam from them so the others), they also add a 'PRO' look to my EDGE, I think. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

mg1710xo1.jpg

mg1711vb2.jpg

Compare side by side:

mg1716tr9.jpg

Try this, http://www.hoen-usa.com/index.htm

I had a Murano with HID and was disappointed that Ford does not offer HID, these are as close as I'm going to get legally.

• 3 weeks later...
Folks ... this is what I had ordered. Delivery within a few days.

His website has tons of information on automotive lighting that is worthwile reading.

Jaak

********************************************************************************

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Jaak wrote:

> Hello ... I have a brand spanking new Ford Edge Limited AWD with H11 as the low beams.<

Ford have recently "gotten it" and have been installing decent optics on their cars (finally). H11 is an ultralong-life, rather low-output bulb

producing 1350 lumens. You can easily and safely replace the H11 low beam bulbs with 2100-lumen H9 items: http://store.candlepower.com/h-9.html -- don't make this substitution in the fog lamps, however.

> I would like to order a pair of your finest. I am looking for a good distance beam pattern down the road as well as one that hopefully lasts longer than a year.<

Can't have all of the above. Higher output = shorter life. Buy spares; they're not too costly.

Your high beams can also be significantly upgraded if you will Replace the existing 9005 bulbs with 9011. The new bulbs are not some tinted or

overwattage version of 9005, but rather employ a relatively new technology called HIR, Halogen Infrared Reflection. The mechanical dimensions of the bulb are all virtually identical to the 9005, but the bulb glass is spherical instead of tubular, with the sphere centered around the filament. There is a "Durable IR Reflective" coating on the spherical glass. Infrared = heat, so the coating causes heat to be reflected back to the filament at the center of the sphere. This causes the filament to become much hotter (producing more light) than it can by passing

electricity through it, *without* the shorter life or greater heat production that comes with overwattage bulbs (to say nothing of

overwattage bulbs' incompatibility with stock wiring.)

Here's the comparison:

stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours

compare: 9005+50, 12.8V, 55W, 1830 lumens, 175 hours

new: HIR1, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours

These bulbs are costly as bulbs go - $23.95/ea - but their cost is worth considering in context: Any number of companies will charge you more than this for a tarted-up 9005 with blue colored glass (PIAA and Sylvania Silverstar come to mind) that doesn't produce more light and has a very short lifespan.

The HIR bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base, this is to comply with the law requiring different bulbs to have different bases. The extra-wide plastic top ear is easily trimmed or filed to make the bulb fit your headlamp's bulb receptacle. Once that's done, they go directly into the headlamp, and the existing sockets snap on. Please see http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/HIRmod.html for details.

The direct order link for these bulbs is http://store.candlepower.com/9011.html

You may also want to install the 30% brighter front turn signal bulbs to maintain the proper brightness ratio with the headlamps: http://store.candlepower.com/p3457akda.html

> For shipping purposes I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada:<

No worries -- Canadian shipping options are provided on the checkout page

of our secure Candlepower website linked above.

How did these work for you?