2007 AWD leaky PTU again....

CivicSi907

Hi guys.... happy 2019 at first.

I have the known odor problem a long time.... now I found it by searching the forum and google, that a leaky PTU is the problem. I also have oil strains on my driveway.

Is it risky to drive a leaky PTU? I don't have the money for getting it replaced.

Do I have to look for enough fluid anywhere? Or what do I have to refill, if I dont want to repair it now? 

I mean, the car is 11 years old and has about 120k miles on it. It runs smooth without problems.... the only thing is the smell/odor after comming from the autobahn.

Any suggestions?

Depends on where the leak is coming from.  Vent, axle-PTU seal, trans-PTU seal etc.  And how fast.

Anything that depends on lubrication is not going to like it if the fluid is not sufficient in either quantity or quality.  So yes, you have to fix the issue in some manner.

The best case scenario is PTU vent leak, in which a few rounds of fluid changes should calm it down significantly, if not eliminate the leak altogether.

Unfortunately, the PTU is used any time the trans is in gear, so no easy workaround for that.  There IS a video on a Fusion on how the guy gutted the PTU to eliminate AWD, but IDK.

Take pics, clean up the area, monitor/take pics.  That way you know where the leak is coming from.  Hopefully it is just PTU fluid that is leaking and not a mix of trans/PTU fluid.

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, CivicSi907 said:

@WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Can you show me of what to take pics? Where is PTU fluid leaking and where is trans-ptu leaking?

Where is the Vent and how do I check it? Where is the Axle PTU?

I am not a mechanic but good in work, so just need a little bit help to 

You might be better off sticking to one thread only.