The wonderful PTO unit. AWD to FWD possible?

monsterx7

Ok so it looks like my PTO is going. It has the wonderful vent tube spitting gear oil issue. Has anyone ever converted their AWD to FWD. Mine is a 2007 and really don’t want to dump $600 (can do the swap myself) into a vechiel that is aging. Upon that thought I considered converting it to strictly FWD. seems like the easiest process would be to remove the gears from the PTO and take the drive shaft down. Just curious of everyone’s thoughts.

Edited by monsterx7

I was also thinking of going a similar route, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Remove the PTO and driveshaft. Then replace the passenger side drive axle with a FWD unit. I'm not sure what the difference is between the AWD and FWD transmissions.

Edited by monsterx7

Thanks everyone for the information. I was looking and the needed parts right away would be a passenger side drive axle and the intermediate shaft (to take the place of the PTO). With IWRBB indicating that the cast is different (very good info to know) it might not be feasible. Gutting the PTO with the exception of the shaft that passes through it doesn't sound like a good idea either. Looks like rockauto sells a DORMAN unit (part number 600234) for about $593 and I can find a %5 coupon to add to that. I also found a seller on ebay selling new OEM units for $550 free shipping. The 2nd option sounds like the best bet right now.

Edited by monsterx7

On 1/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, monsterx7 said:

I also found a seller on ebay selling new OEM units for $550 free shipping. The 2nd option sounds like the best bet right now.

Just confirm with the seller that it is the latest version. I don't know which part number it should be, but it is worth checking as Ford made many updates over the years.

• Like 1