Tire Failure at 14K Miles

pintokid

We just had a new tire installed on my wife's Edge with only 14K miles on it. The tire failed in a way I have never seen before. It developed a bubble on the sidewall. The dealer claimed that we hit something to cause the damage, but: 1) the wife claims she never hit anything to cause it. 2) there was zero rim damage and 3) no evidence the outside of the tire was impacted. Nevertheless the Pirelli warranty is 12 months and we've owned the car for 13 months (sigh). So $220 later we have a new tire. I am just happy I noticed this before it completely failed. Just by coincidence I decided to wash it and when I started washing that wheel there was a holy $hit moment.

20181217_153147.jpg

Glad you caught it when you did. I have seen this type of failure before.  It can be caused by impact, but it can also be caused by a defect in the side wall that finally let go. Heat can also be a factor. Good thing it was on the outside where you could see it. You might want to check the inside of the other three for peace of mind. Tires are likely from the same lot.

Edited by SUV-E
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I actually got the new tire at the dealer, and I was hoping I could persuade them to cut me a deal because of the failure but no such luck. They actually blamed it on an impact, but my wife claims nothing like that occurred, and there was no rim damage. The dealer price was $5 more than TireRack+NTB. And no I did not hold onto the tire. I did check out the other three, but thanks for the advice.

The only tires I ever had that happen with many years ago were Goodyear and I never bought them again after that. 

If you research this tire and when it was made and find a lot of other people have had this problem then Pirelli probably knows about it and may be willing to do something about it. 

If it turns out to be more than a one off problem maybe you can get them to replace all 4 with a different model. Otherwise keep an eye on them and check them often.