clicking, tapping noise

SEA ANTSY

On 10/18/2019 at 2:15 PM, SEA ANTSY said:

Thanks for the input.. so a bit more info.. how many miles ? Has it always done it? have you compared to other SAME vehicles?

Ours has the sewing machine noise until the engine is warmed up.   Don't hear it inside the car, but can outside of the car.

Hadn't checked it until others talked about sewing machine noise, so had around 4,600 miles or so when I went outside of the car to listen.   Then once back from a 60 mile trip, I got out of the car and the engine was quiet and normal sounding.  Haven't compared it to any other Edges.   

It is the injectors that click and tap and make all kinds of noise when running, you just notice it more at idle because it is slower and you are outside of the car.  My V-6 sounds like a diesel in the morning before the idle settles down to the slower clickety clacking.  Perfectly normal on a Direct Injected engine.  Louder if you do not have the little plastic/foam engine cover installed or the hood pad, some engines no longer come with them.  Even my mom's Lincoln MKC 2.3T does it, just quieter because it has the engine cover and underhood pad. 

Speaking of under hood cover/insulation ( aka bonnet). So I purchased my car in Paramus/NJ in March’19. It is a 2019 Edge 2.0 EcoBoost. Drove down to FL and this was the first time I mentioned the engine noise in a Ford dealership there. They popped the hood and the tech noticed I do not have the insulation attached to hood. They pulled a same type/year/model car from their lot. It had it. They replaced it under warranty. When recently I went back to the NJ dealership w the noise issue again, I mentioned the insulation. They also pulled same type/year/model car from their lot, it didn’t have it. But! I recently ran into someone purchased his same car in August  from same dealership as I and he does have it!! ? So what now?

01A498FA-375B-4A71-A111-FAE824BE54BA.jpeg

• 2 months later...

2019 sel ,noisy padder  at idle, doesn't sound like injectors,After reading this post,I looked under hood and there's no hood blanket attached to hood,so I went to dealer and they told me they don't put them on 19-20.The parts dept.could not believe it that the sales dept refused to put one on ,so I had to buy one from the parts dept.for my brand new edge under 500 miles.I explained that that does soundproofing,,protects paint and  keeps the heat off the washer fluid lines.cost me $130 for the blanket fasteners the parts guy is giving me.parts guy gave it to me at cost he said,and I will install.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:08 AM, Engr146 said:

2019 sel ,noisy padder  at idle, doesn't sound like injectors,After reading this post,I looked under hood and there's no hood blanket attached to hood,so I went to dealer and they told me they don't put them on 19-20.The parts dept.could not believe it that the sales dept refused to put one on ,so I had to buy one from the parts dept.for my brand new edge under 500 miles.I explained that that does soundproofing,,protects paint and  keeps the heat off the washer fluid lines.cost me $130 for the blanket fasteners the parts guy is giving me.parts guy gave it to me at cost he said,and I will install.

They no longer put them on at the factory to save money and have more profit.  As for the noise it is the nature of the beast with a Direct Injection engine.  High pressure fuel injectors are loud.  My 2.7TT sounds like a diesel on cold start, even louder than my previous Focus ST 2.0T engine.  My mothers Lincoln MKC 2.3T does the same thing and so does my dad's Escape 2.0T.  Cold start is the loudest.  The MKC is a little quieter due to the engine cover and hood pad.  My Edge ST came with a hood pad because it is an earlier build before they stopped installing them, but it is still loud. 

I sat in 2 different cars w/ 2.0 EB and they don't have the noise that I'm talking about,it seems intermittent now that engine is breaking in a little more.I also have a 07 edge and that 3.5 liter is quieter.dont get me wrong,I love my new edge,but was a little concerned about the sounds.

22 hours ago, Engr146 said:

I sat in 2 different cars w/ 2.0 EB and they don't have the noise that I'm talking about,it seems intermittent now that engine is breaking in a little more.I also have a 07 edge and that 3.5 liter is quieter.dont get me wrong,I love my new edge,but was a little concerned about the sounds.

Did the other 2 vehicles have an engine cover with the foam as well as the foam hood pad?  Because that does make a difference.  When I would remove the engine cover on my Focus ST it was noticeably louder, but put the cover back on and close the hood and it was quieter but still could be head when warming up and high idle.  My Edge ST is the same was and it has both the cover and the hood pad but it quiets down after the engine revs come down. 

On a side not why does this bother so many people?  Are you all idling your engines in the cold and standing next to them listening?  Just curious. It is perfectly normal. 

Edited by jamie1073

• 4 weeks later...

New to the boards, new to the Edge, new to Ford. Not new to automobiles or modern direct inject, turbocharged vehicles.

My wife and I picked up a 2019 2.0L Titanium (2500 miles) this past weekend for her. We're having a bit of buyer's remorse. This sound sucks, we didn't notice it during the test drives. We've taken it back to the dealer to have them listen. Responses range from "that's how they sound" to "you're definitely hearing the HPFP".

No, what I hear is something loose in the timing- perhaps a tensioner. I've been listening to clicky-clacky, ticky-tocky, "sewing machine" sounds since 2008 with my Audi A5 and BMW 435i. The Ecoboost has those sounds because its basically the same tech. This motor, I'm quite sure, is exhibiting something else. Idle seems fine, but as RPMs rise that's when you hear it.

Edited by mcsweeto

On 2/18/2020 at 5:17 PM, mcsweeto said:

New to the boards, new to the Edge, new to Ford. Not new to automobiles or modern direct inject, turbocharged vehicles.

My wife and I picked up a 2019 2.0L Titanium (2500 miles) this past weekend for her. We're having a bit of buyer's remorse. This sound sucks, we didn't notice it during the test drives. We've taken it back to the dealer to have them listen. Responses range from "that's how they sound" to "you're definitely hearing the HPFP".

No, what I hear is something loose in the timing- perhaps a tensioner. I've been listening to clicky-clacky, ticky-tocky, "sewing machine" sounds since 2008 with my Audi A5 and BMW 435i. The Ecoboost has those sounds because its basically the same tech. This motor, I'm quite sure, is exhibiting something else. Idle seems fine, but as RPMs rise that's when you hear it.

Yeah that does not sound normal.  When rev'ed the fuel pump noise normally is drowned out by standard engine rev'ing sounds.  Although I wish they still put the padded engine covers on these as they seem to mute the sounds of the fuel pump.  My Focus ST sounded nothing like your engine does, it did have a cover but even with it removed it did not sound like that.  My ST V-6TT does not even sound like that, but it does have a cover on it and hood pad as well.  My DI HPFP noises go away pretty much as the engine warms up, due to the cover and hood pad muting them enough.  My Dad has an Escape with the 2.0T and mom has a MKC with the 2.3T and neither sound like your motor. 

Edited by 1004ron

Hello, I have a 2.0 Edge ‘19. Posted it here previously w video. 
Had the same exact problem. At 9300 miles my engine had to be replaced. It took 27 days bc of part backorder. I first noticed the engine noise but here and in service - while was in there for 5 days to figure out what’s going on - was told it’s normal. Till the “low engine oil pressure “ sign came up 2 month after. Then called in, they sent a tow-truck and a loaner. I’m also in Northeast US. 
Under the hood engine cover was stopped in March 2019. 

• 3 months later...

New here. From NJ. Just picked up a new/leftover 2019 Edge Titanium with the 2.0 Eco with 20 miles, and it purred like a kitten. At 300 miles we had it brought back to the dealer for a very loud tapping above the #4 cylinder that was NOT there when we bought it. Sounded like a valve to me. Anyway they got back to me today and said that it was a "characteristic" of the 2.0 Eco and the HPFP. Special Service Announcement 48278. We picked this veh. specifically because of how quiet it was compared to every other 4cyl SUV in its class and coming from a CRV this thing was a dream. 

Does anyone have any other updates to their vehicles? 

To Edge2019SEL 2.0 Ecoboost: Did the new engine stop the ticking? How many miles do you have now?

Edited by 2019EdgeTitanium2.0

I guess I’m also a member of the “tapping noise club” I’ve purchased a 2020 Edge SEL I thought I loved this SUV until a couple of days ago during a cold start I notice a very loud metal to metal noise coming from the engine, decided to record it and here it is for your enjoyment. Thoughts? Vehicle has 1,000 miles this is crazy! 

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2020 at 5:17 PM, mcsweeto said:

I have a 2019 SEL 2.0 and this sounds EXACTLY the same.  Normal ticking noise at idle that everyone says is injectors, but under acceleration i have that same noise you hear here, very annoying and not sure what it is.  Did you ever find out?  Mine just hit the 20,000 mile mark.  I bought it like a month ago so not sure what sounded like before, but seems worse now than when i purchased.

Edited by 1004ron

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was searching around the internet to see if anyone else was having the same engine ticking/tapping/knocking noise that I'm currently experiencing with my 2020 2.0L SEL Edge. Sure enough, the video that mcsweeto posted is the exact same noise I'm hearing. It's definitely louder on a cold start and I hear it off and on when accelerating and coasting. I also have rough shifting in the lower gears (stumbling, hesitation, etc), which makes me suspect that it might be a cam phaser issue. I know Ford has some notorious problems with those on the 3.5 ecos. The car currently has just over 3k miles.

Right now the car is sitting at the shop after the dealer service tech acknowledged that the cold start noise is not normal. They also pulled the oil and found metal shavings. So something is definitely not right with this engine. I'm currently waiting for the dealership to do the tear-down and find where the shavings are coming from. What was also odd, at least to me, was that the factory fill oil was green in tint. I understand this is a dye that they use to detect leaks. But I don't know if it's a standard practice to add that at factory or not. 

I might suggest those that are seeing this same issue check their oil and see if there is any metal shavings present. That was the definitive proof that something was wrong and the dealership did not fight me on the tear-down after that discovery. 

Edited by spudz

The dealership did finally get back to me on the teardown and it appears that the issue was a loose timing chain, which was causing it to scrape against the guides to create the noise I was hearing. The dealership hasn't formalized the list of replacement parts yet, but it sounds like it will be a timing chain, guides, and cam phasers at the very least.

I am leery about the metal shavings in the oil pan though. I don't think a loose timing chain would be a direct cause of that. The dealership said the heads and valves look good and the chain didn't jump timing. But, I know that once a timing chain starts failing it can cause all sorts of bad things downstream. I was hoping this would be more catastrophic so that I could get a new long block and not have to worry about this down the road. 

I think I'll end up riding out the powertrain warranty in the end, and selling the car once that's up. I'm going to guess this is not going to be the end of the car's engine troubles if we've already had to crack open the heads and such at 3k miles.