Different Oil Filter/Same Manufacturer?

chefduane

I posted this here because my Edge is a '11 AWD Limited but it doesn't necessarily have to do with the specific vehicle.   I recently went to Walmart and bought a couple of K&N oil filters - same maker, same Part Number, to do an upcoming 100k oil/filter change on my Edge.  See pix below.  The filters have slightly different logos on them but the dimensions are the same.  The thing that is interesting to me is the differing configurations of the base plate holes.  Is this a standard thing that oil filter makers do?  Should I be worried about getting a counterfeit filter?  Anybody have any idea why there is a difference?  Thanks for any info!

KN1.jpg

kn2.jpg

• Like 1

K&N's are manufactured in a few locations in the world, and it could be that the one is from Korea and the other from Mexico.

The recent ones I bought for my 2.7L are made in Korea,  which would be my preference of all the locations.

I'd be OK with it if I could see that the anti-runback valve was silicone and the filter media appears to be the same material and number of pleats.

• Like 2

I can't really tell much by looking into the filter.  I sent an email off to K&N to see if they might be able to provide some info on the differences.  More than likely its what you mentioned (different manu locations) but I would still like to hear directly from K&N.  Thanks for the response.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Why would you take a chance on a 3rd party oil filter when the motorcraft filter works just fine?  It's not like you're getting better performance.

Reasonable point.  But K&N has worked well for me in the past, is highly rated (maybe not the best, but certainly not the worst) and I REALLY like the 1" nut that they put on the filter body.  It makes screw on/off MUCH easier.  K&N is probably as good as any out there given my oil change interval (5K miles) and the easy on/easy off is quite convenient.  As I've said, my philosophy is using a quality oil (Mobil-1) with a quality filter (K&N) and (here's the important part) changing it at regular intervals is more important than any quest for the perfect oil and filter combination.  (Did I mention that K&N has a 1" on the bottom of the filter for super easy changing?)

Well of course my engine didn't blow up because then I would obviously not be posting about buying a new oil filter for it.  Silly.  :)  "Worked well for me in the past" means that it performed as good as or better than any other similarly priced filter and my opinion is that it provides solid value for my money.  And that is all that really matters.   And yes, the easy on/off nut does play a part in my purchase decision. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chefduane said:

Well of course my engine didn't blow up because then I would obviously not be posting about buying a new oil filter for it.  Silly.  :)  "Worked well for me in the past" means that it performed as good as or better than any other similarly priced filter and my opinion is that it provides solid value for my money.  And that is all that really matters.   And yes, the easy on/off nut does play a part in my purchase decision. 

My point is you don’t really know how well it performed unless your engine blew up or you tore down the engine to check for wear.  Or at least done some extensive filter testing.

So here is the response I got from K&N.  A no answer answer.   Looks likes it is a K&N filter just reconfigured.

======================================================================================

Hello,

The filter you purchased is a true K&N. The differences in the amount of holes will not cause any performance concerns. All K&N oil filters are designed to meet or exceed OEM specs.

Thank you,

K&N Customer Service & Tech Support
tech@knfilters.com
http://www.knfilters.com

Phone: (800) 858-3333

• Like 2