Sync 3 NAV and Voice commands stopped working

When I left work this afternoon the NAV screen froze and the voice commands also stopped working.

Hit the NAV icon at the bottom of the screen and it did not respond and switch from the home screen to NAV.

I stopped twice on the way home and turned off the vehicle and started again and each time it did the same, then about two hours after arriving home I tried it again and everything is working normal.

Before I left work I got word that there was an accident on the interstate, so wanted to use to NAV to reroute me, ......

Is this a sign of imminent system problems?

It may be that had you turned the ignition off and opened the door you may have had a different outcome. I believe that much of the center stack remains powered for some time, maybe 10 minutes after the ignition is turned off or until the door is opened.

Next time try to forces reset (restart) of Sync, no need to turn off the engine or wait longer. From the owners manual :

SYNC System Reset 
The SYNC system in your vehicle has System Reset feature that can be performed if the function of a SYNC feature is lost. This reset is intended to restore functionality and will not erase any information previously stored in the system (Such as paired devices, phonebook, call history, text messages, or user settings). To perform a System Reset, press and hold the Seek Up (>>) button while pressing and holding the Radio Power button. Release both buttons after 2-3 seconds. Please allow a few minutes for the reset to complete. After a few minutes has passed you can resume using the SYNC system. 

• Like 2