Explorer ST Build And Price

vmaxbaby

I got an email this morning from Ford that you can now configure the Explorer ST.    The way I priced one out it was 55K msrp.  So guessing when the other models sell and this is sitting on a dealer lot could be had for 48K. 

https://shop.ford.com/build/explorer/2020/?cks=269082050&emailid=19q1_ford_xcxa_explorer_pr#/select/

I don't need 3 row so that row would be down 100% of the time and not sure it has more room than the Edge but I do like a few  things about it. 

400hp / 420 tq  If it weights 500lbs more than an Edge guess it is the same performance but not sure on the weight.

10 Speed Auto = I think this trans is solid guys beat on it at the drag strip with their mustangs and it seems to take it and I won't be beating on a SUV so should last. 

Rear Wheel Drive = For those times when a little slide around a turn is called for :)

Borla is going to make an exhaust for it.  (called today and ask them)  ( also ask about Edge ST exhaust)  so far not on their radar :(

i am sure LMS and the like will be making a tune for it as well. 

Dislike:

A 10 inch iPad planted vertical in the center of the dash.  If you don't take the technology package you get the smaller version. 

I think the Edge looks more sporty but I don't hate the look of the Explorer.  DC Auto Show is coming up in a 3 weeks so will get to see one in person

Jamie1073 that is a good question.  During the reveal they said after 20 years they were going back to rear wheel drive and a selector switch to engage the front wheels.  That was how my 2 ford rangers where back in the day.  Living in Virginia our winters are normally maybe 5-8 snow days.  Some years we have had 12 to 20 inches in one falling but normally we only get a few inches of snow and it is gone the next day.  ( I work for a school system so snow days means I stay home :) )   So for me I don't need AWD for the 355 days we don't have snow but would be nice to push a button or turn a knob for those few days we do have it.  When I get to the DC autoshow that is one of the questions I will be asking the Ford Rep for sure.  Also going to ask them if they know about the transmission concerns from the ST owners.  Guessing even if they do know they will play stupid and act like they have never heard anything about it.