ST at Milan Dragway

Sledder

To compliment Eddie368's experience at the drag strip I thought I would add info about my day at Milan Dragway's test & tune in southeast Michigan last Sunday. ET slips from the 6 runs attached. The car has about 6,500 miles on it and it is about a 40 mile drive to the track. Steady diet of premium gas since new. Sport mode on and traction control off on every run. Beautiful spring day about 70 degrees. Density altitude was around 1,000 ft the one time I checked it. The first two passes I made back to back as quick as I could to see how it would run "hot". After that I turned the driving chores over to my adult son for the next 4 runs sometimes waiting a couple hours in between runs. Cliff notes: the ST ran 14.20 to 14.39 with MPH ranging from 95.3 to 97.6. Best run was a 14.205 at 97.62.

Reaction times suck. I was leaving, and told my son to leave, on the last yellow. Obviously we should have been leaving somewhere on the 2nd yellow as the ST does not exactly explode of the starting line. We tried leaving from hard against the converter, fast idle, and off idle without any detectable difference in the 60 ft or ET.

My opinion: While the ETs are fairly consistent some of the incremental times would drive a bracket racer to drink. Some of the best 60ft times resulted in average runs and some average 60ft times resulted in good runs. Comparing the numbers on the various slips you can see where the car is taking (or adding) power for whatever reason. In the end I was happy with how the car ran and it was about what was expected. Didn't buy a race car I bought a fun driver and it is. The ST was very popular in the staging lanes and there were many favorable comments. I would encourage every ST owner to visit the drag strip on test and tune day at least once for the fun of it. If you have a significant other that would like to make a pass or two this is a great car for that. Not a ground pounder so it is a very good car for a novice to drive at the drags.

i-HCjQJ7w.jpg

Edited by Sledder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the details. If I remember correctly, MT ran a 14.7 and C&D ran a 14.3. It’s nice to know what sport mode, traction control off, and 93 octane do. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford programmed a torque reduction by means of reducing boost and/or timing to prevent hard launches being the reason your different launch techniques didn’t show better results. 

26 minutes ago, DB ST said:

Thanks for the details. If I remember correctly, MT ran a 14.7 and C&D ran a 14.3. It’s nice to know what sport mode, traction control off, and 93 octane do. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford programmed a torque reduction by means of reducing boost and/or timing to prevent hard launches being the reason your different launch techniques didn’t show better results. 

I am wondering if boost is limited in 1st gear like it is on the Focus and Fiesta ST's.  On the Focus ST I know it is limited in 1st and 2nd to prevent massive wheelspin.  While that is not a problem on the Edge ST I am wondering if they may  have set a limit to protect the driveline from getting a jolt on launch. 

3 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

I am wondering if boost is limited in 1st gear like it is on the Focus and Fiesta ST's.  On the Focus ST I know it is limited in 1st and 2nd to prevent massive wheelspin.  While that is not a problem on the Edge ST I am wondering if they may  have set a limit to protect the driveline from getting a jolt on launch. 

Practicing "holeshots" around home on the back roads with the boost gauge up I noticed exactly that. Boost in 1st & 2nd was around 12 lbs. Once into 3rd gear the boost was around 16 lbs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sledder said:

Practicing "holeshots" around home on the back roads with the boost gauge up I noticed exactly that. Boost in 1st & 2nd was around 12 lbs. Once into 3rd gear the boost was around 16 lbs.

That is what I noticed while driving.  Once in 3rd I can hit 16-17.5, have not hit the magic 19-21 overboost yet.  In 1st and 2nd I hit only around the 12.5 mark.  I did notice even with a tune on my Focus ST that I only hit peak with a serious load on the engine, like 4th gear and up at 100mph where I would hit 23.8 on my 93 tune.