Toby99

2019 Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck

My 2019 Edge Titanium at 2,000 miles continues the low speed bucking problem especially when cold. I’ve also experienced some hard clunk shifts as it seems to hunt for correct gear. Several times when taking a very slow turn, engine bogs down because it’s in too high of gear. Also wanted to know how to determine which transmission this car has and the manufacture date. 

Usually on the Drivers side door jam

I just bought a 2019 edge sel ,only put 338 miles on it so far,have only noticed a little sluggish during first couple of miles.when cold here in Boston.after reading this post I won't be driving with the radio on for a while ,listening for these issues,no signs as of yet!

Thank you all for your input! Will update on any developments

Tom Burke

Kcbbriggs;   I was told that all 2019 Edge Titanium's have the same engine and transmission. The 8F35 is what is in mine and no doubt yours as well. I haven't noticed any clunking sounds or bogging down of mine but the rest you described is just like mine. There is supposed to be a field service rep come to the dealership where I bought it soon, maybe this Friday. As soon as he does I'll post on here to let everyone know what he has to say.

8F35 transmission still bucking in the morning.  I noticed on this thread that someone tried putting the Edge cruise control on at 20 mph, so I tried it.  It pretty much stopped the issue.  Going to call Ford, and share this with them, and see if it a recognized issue yet.

Well, yesterday I had a field rep ride in my car along with the service manager at the dealership. Wouldn't you know it, the car didn't do it as much as it usually does so the rep wasn't able to get the full effect of what is going on. Absolutely nothing new to report...they brought it back, plugged it in to check for codes, looked for any new updates, the same thing they did the first time I took it back. Of course, there were no codes or new TSB's out so I was again told this is just normal. I talked to the service manager a while after the rep left and he didn't make it sound too promising of them coming up with a fix. In his opinion, they would have to rewrite the whole program which would involve emissions and government red tape. 

He seems like a straight-up guy to me I don't think he was just trying to blow me off. He showed me where he contacted Ford and told them there was an issue and explained what is going on. In his words, Ford is aware but not enough people have complained about it yet require them to do anything. So I have pretty much run out of ideas as to what to do. I have written to the home office, opened cases on it, had a field rep come check it out, and had it back to the dealership three times now. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear from you.

Johnny,

What you wrote is almost exactly what has happened to me at three different dealerships.  It's the reason I mailed a letter directly to Ford executives.  Another one will be sent shortly.

Why are the service departments and field service reps saying it's the transmission programming code?  I asked that question but received no reply.  Has anyone considered it might be a power train component problem, the whole transmission, torque converter, maybe it's the engine.  One thought that leads me there is why the buck/surge appears go away when on cruise control. 

The other question is why others are not complaining?  If their vehicle does not have the problem then there's something wrong with ours.  Either way it's a defect and should be corrected.  If it's only a few vehicles, replace the engine or transmission in our vehicles and fix the problem.  I'm sure Ford can afford it.  So if our vehicle's headlight would not turn On but no one else had that problem, Ford would not be concerned about fixing ours?

Appears to me it's a design problem with the new eight speed transmission and Ford is hoping we will give up and live with the problem.

Has anyone called the 313-518-7309 phone number posted earlier?  I believe the poster said it was Ford engineering.

Edited by Toby99