Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck - Transmission

Toby99

On 11/3/2023 at 9:21 AM, chipdog4 said:

It's been about 18 months and 17,000 miles and it's still going great. 

I never got any official receipt of what work they performed. 

I do have to wonder if with this new low viscosity transmission fluid, if the additives don't go bad after a certain time period and that could be contributing to the shudder too, like the 4R70W in the mid 90s.  I do plan to change the fluid every 25 to 30,000 miles from now on.

When you were getting the surge/buck over the winter was it only when the Edge was cold?  That is what mine does. Only surge/buck with the engine cold. It mostly happened as the outside temperatures got hot but I am getting it now as the temperatures are cooling off. Don't remember that happening before.  Also only happens when car is cold so the dealer would not be able to duplicate the surge/buck unless I left over night.  Did your surge/buck become more constant in February?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

thanks for the reply, no warranty i reported the problem 3 times ate different ford dealers but only one had a transmission tech he said it was the transmission computer and i was given the choice of leaving the car there until my turn or leaving and they call when my turn is ready but 5 weeks later they call i had went over my warranty mileage by 78 miles and then they said it was no longer covered. so no warranty.   i found a lot of other edge owners with this same problem some suggested using Forscan to fix it but i have no idea how. 

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 2019 Ford Edge Se. It was a fleet vehicle that has 180k miles on it. However the transmission and engine have both been replaced. The "new" trans has just under 100k on it and the new engine has 45k on it. Both were done at a dealership. 

Much to my dismay, mine bucks at slow speeds just like talked about in this thread. It seems to do it whether warm or cold. If I accelerate a little more aggressive you don't feel it but if you are just slowly coming up to speed it is very evident.

It seems that it is a torque convertor issue from reading this thread. I do not have a warranty and I'm sure since I am not the original owner the Ford Service Dept that did the engine and trans swap won't help either.

What kind of cash should I expect to shell out to get a new torque convertor?

pstrdenver

3 hours ago, pstrdenver said:

I just bought a 2019 Ford Edge Se. It was a fleet vehicle that has 180k miles on it. However the transmission and engine have both been replaced. The "new" trans has just under 100k on it and the new engine has 45k on it. Both were done at a dealership. 

Much to my dismay, mine bucks at slow speeds just like talked about in this thread. It seems to do it whether warm or cold. If I accelerate a little more aggressive you don't feel it but if you are just slowly coming up to speed it is very evident.

It seems that it is a torque convertor issue from reading this thread. I do not have a warranty and I'm sure since I am not the original owner the Ford Service Dept that did the engine and trans swap won't help either.

What kind of cash should I expect to shell out to get a new torque convertor?

pstrdenver

Before you write off the dealership that installed the engine present your case to them, it may be a simple update instead of any thing else. That was the case with mine and it worked fine.

GLTA

Rafeek

• Like 1

I just upgraded from a 2016 to a 2020 Titanium, FWD and I experience the same issue. I live in the Phoenix area so it's always warm, so it clears up pretty quickly. I thought it was because of quick shifting from the lower gears, thats how quickly it clears up.

• 2 weeks later...

Have the same issue. 2019 Ford Edge Titanium 2.0L AWD with 80k miles.

Transmission has been acting up like everyone else’s for the past 15-20k miles at least. I know transmission work is costly so I was scared to have it looked at - until I realized I’m still under powertrain warranty lol. I bought my car certified pre owned and still have powertrain coverage from that, fortunately. Took it to a Ford dealer and they updated the transmission (in relation to TSB 21-2389), and the tech said that it did not fix the problem. They then said the torque converter would need replaced, and since that is covered under warranty, I agreed.

At the time of writing this, they have had my car for the past 28 days. Not sure why it’s taking so long, but fortunately I was provided a loaner vehicle. I’m curious if they found more problems.

I’m thankful I’m covered under warranty, but this is totally unacceptable. A class action lawsuit should 100% be commenced.

Not to mention my purge valve which went bad at like 65k miles or my sync screen which would constantly have a black screen / turn off / get stuck on the reverse cam / bug out / etc... Seems like others have been having those issues as well. 

Edited by eric1