Conspicuous Lighting

Gadgetjq

So, I'm an inveterate tinkerer, unable to leave any mechanical/electronic device in stock form (ask my long suffering bride (47 years next month she tells me). :)

My '16 Ti is equipped with Halogen headlights that appear to be in the 3500k (yellowish) range and the amber turn signal bulbs are...well, not terribly attractive so fixes.

Temporarily a set of Phillips Diamond Vision H11's have replaced the OEM bulbs and the amber turn signals are out, replaced by switchbacks which flash amber as turn signals but are otherwise around 6000k white.  Both are experiments.  The H11s will eventually be replaced by HIDs and the switchbacks.....well, how good could they be for 16 bucks?  But they seem to be working fine.

Installation is simple for the headlight bulb, just pull the rubber seal out, twist the bulb out of the housing (lefty loosey), disconnect from the plug, swap in the new bulb....done!  The switchbacks are a little more involved.  The headlight housing has to come out of the car (just two bolts and a plastic keeper), flip the housing over, pop out the old amber bulb, replace with the new LED bulb.  Then you have to find power for the 'white' DRL which, as it turns out, can come from a 'spare' fuse 24 in the engine compartment fuse box.  Switchbacks generally need a resistor to prevent hyper flashing when using turn signals.  This setup comes with them so no problem.  I 'did' try cutting the resistor out of one side and modifying the hyper flash setting with FORScan but it didn't work for me....resistor back in and mounted to a handy little 'shelf' behind the headlight assembly (see pic below) 

The end result looks great with a much whiter headlight/drl along with a combo amber turn signal/drl plus the signature LED array all yelling 'get out of my way slowpokes' ;)

Resistor.jpg

switchback.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

HI Gunnar,

The gen2 headlight housing comes out easily.  Looking down at the top you'll see a bolt and a screw at the rear and a bolt at the front.  Remove them.  Remove the power plug from the rear of the housing. Now pull up on the housing to remove it.  Some wiggling may be required but it'll come free.  Now you can reach the turn signal bulbs.

Switchbacks do require a couple of additional steps beyond just replacing a bulb. You can either install a 6 ohm resistor at each side or turn off hyperflash using Forscan (which you'll have to do anyway if you use an led bulb for a turn signal) and you have to connect the bulb's white side to a switched power source which is every unused fuse slot in the under hood fuse box.  That's it!

Cheers!