GAS MILEAGE SUCKS

CremeBrulee08

Finally decided to pipe in on this thread

So, at 6 months into car - which is about 2800k for me (I know, I do not drive much - I ride a bike more per year, no joke) my computer repors what I see as pretty crummy 17.2 miles avg with 27 mph avg. I KNOW I drive pretty much 'city'/suburb miles AND I am very early into car ownership and this is very low miles, so I know not to expect to much right now. But I admit I did expect better than that.

Now, a question I have not seen raised in this thread is... how many of you:

a. reset the mileage computer when you bought the car but never since

b. never reset the mileage computer ever. not when you bought and not since

c. reset it after each fill or a series of fills or routinely

I fall into B. I never did (nor have) reset my computer and kind of wish I had at the start as it has calculations that take into consideration misc stop start driving from factory to train, train to holding tank, holding tank to truck, misc truck to dealer, dealer to me.. probably not major difference, but I wish I would have master reset it all to start fresh from my personal driving ownership right when I drove off the lot.

Anyone have thoughts on resetting your computer to start a fresh set of calculations?

and ps ... yeah, Mooseman and his thread spamming is wearing thin on me also

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, at 6 months into car - which is about 2800k for me (I know, I do not drive much - I ride a bike more per year, no joke) my computer repors what I see as pretty crummy 17.2 miles avg with 27 mph avg. I KNOW I drive pretty much 'city'/suburb miles AND I am very early into car ownership and this is very low miles, so I know not to expect to much right now. But I admit I did expect better than that.

I fall into B. I never did (nor have) reset my computer and kind of wish I had at the start as it has calculations that take into consideration misc stop start driving from factory to train, train to holding tank, holding tank to truck, misc truck to dealer, dealer to me.. probably not major difference, but I wish I would have master reset it all to start fresh from my personal driving ownership right when I drove off the lot.

Anyone have thoughts on resetting your computer to start a fresh set of calculations?

I reset mine a lot just for comparison purposes. You should at least reset it with each fillup.

I would also fall into category B. I have intentionally not reset the "MPG' readout since purchasing the car, nor have I reset the "AVG MPH" (I do the same with all of my cars). The car had 5.2 miles on it when I purchased new, and now has 9,000, so for me those first few miles would have no real impact on the overall reading.

However, what I also do is keep a manual record of my mileage for every tank (I alway fill-up, never just $10, $20, etc.). I use "Trip Odometer A" to measure the miles between fill-ups. So all I need to do is divide the mileage reading on "Trip Odometer A" by the gallons needed to fill-up and I have a per tank MPG reading. I keep a small 5"x3" spiral notebook in my glove compartment and I note the miles driven/gallons used/MPG in three columns, for every fill-up. Then I simply reset "Trip Odometer A" at each fill-up.

By doing this, I have a notebook with the individual MPG figures for every tankful of gas used since the car was new, and I have a cumulative MPG readout in the "Information Center" which gives me an "AVG MPG" (and AVG MPH) reading that is accurate since mile number one.

I realize many will consider this overkill, but the way I figure, it only takes me 20 seconds to do while I am just sitting there waiting for the tank to fill anyway. My wife even does the same with the car she normally drives.

Also, while this has not happened with the new car yet, the cumulative reading for the Cougar is no longer accurate from day one. Once your cars battery is disconnected for any reason, the "Information Center" readouts (MPG, MPH and Trip Odometer) are wiped out and you start clean. This has happened during service for the Cougar two or three times over the seven years we have owned it. I am not sure if the newer cars are different and will keep their readings or not, but I guess I will find out someday.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I would also fall into category B. I have intentionally not reset the "MPG' readout since purchasing the car, nor have I reset the "AVG MPH" (I do the same with all of my cars). The car had 5.2 miles on it when I purchased new, and now has 9,000, so for me those first few miles would have no real impact on the overall reading.

However, what I also do is keep a manual record of my mileage for every tank (I alway fill-up, never just $10, $20, etc.). I use "Trip Odometer A" to measure the miles between fill-ups. So all I need to do is divide the mileage reading on "Trip Odometer A" by the gallons needed to fill-up and I have a per tank MPG reading. I keep a small 5"x3" spiral notebook in my glove compartment and I note the miles driven/gallons used/MPG in three columns, for every fill-up. Then I simply reset "Trip Odometer A" at each fill-up.

By doing this, I have a notebook with the individual MPG figures for every tankful of gas used since the car was new, and I have a cumulative MPG readout in the "Information Center" which gives me an "AVG MPG" (and AVG MPH) reading that is accurate since mile number one.

I realize many will consider this overkill, but the way I figure, it only takes me 20 seconds to do while I am just sitting there waiting for the tank to fill anyway. My wife even does the same with the car she normally drives.

Also, while this has not happened with the new car yet, the cumulative reading for the Cougar is no longer accurate from day one. Once your cars battery is disconnected for any reason, the "Information Center" readouts (MPG, MPH and Trip Odometer) are wiped out and you start clean. This has happened during service for the Cougar two or three times over the seven years we have owned it. I am not sure if the newer cars are different and will keep their readings or not, but I guess I will find out someday.

yeah.. I keep ALL numbers like that for cycling/running (miles, avg speed, time)... but not driving. Now, it is to late for me to start as I would have wanted to do that from day one and then it just becomes one more piece of data I get addicted to keeping :)

I wonder.. it might be curious to compare your written records to the cars computer now and then just to see, out of curiosity, how well they do/do not line up.

I also use & reset the Trip Odometer, but B, for every fill up. But have never reset the others. I stopped just adding $5, $10, $8 in my early 20's, I also always fill up full.

Interesting thing.. I would be curious what others report, when I fill up mine ALWAYS reports "343 Miles Until Empty"... always. When I first got the car a fill up would read 345, but since then and for months it always reads 343. UPDATE: on just my list fill it jumped to 374 miles until empty - this is the closest I have taken it to empty since owning, just claimed 20 miles left until empty, and nw it reports a higher amount of miles available per this tank of gas.

FYI, I have disconnected the battery on the Edge numerous times (up to about 15 minutes or so) for various installs of items as seen here, and the Info Center (and Sync) have always retained their data.

Edited by Lex Talionis

I reset all my info with every fill up. Although when the wife is using it, I can honestly say she doesn't. That said, it doesn't matter, we still don't get the mileage some of you folks get. Like I said, it has 12,000+ miles on it since Oct-Nov 07, so it's NOT a case of break in.

BUT i'll be totally honest, the looks, ride and comfort has won us over. I can handle this mileage any :D day vs. my 10-12mpg's my 02 F150 Screw is getting with 39.5" tires is getting.

Reset after every fill up usually. 16-18 city depending on red lights. Long Hwy trips are good at about 24-26 depending on speed and hills/ mountains. 80+mph starts really killing mpg. LA to Vegas under 85mph will get you run over though. If 2mpg is going to break any of us, we shouldn't have bought a new car!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought a new 2008 Edge on July 6th... I really dissappointed in the gas mileage......it's really bad ...anyone else have this problem??

Ford corporate told me on the phone to basically piss off about this issue.

Please read the RipOffReport.com post I just added. Seeking a Class Action lawyer for MPG problems.

Copy of Report

I leased a 2007 Ford Edge primarily because of then stated MPG figures of 18 city 24 Highway. To this date I don't know of any Sport Utility that can be bought for $20,000-21,000 of this size, power or looks. I bought this car because of its EPA ratings. People like me are buying cars and other vehicles based on their EPA sticker ratings because of gas being $5 a gallon or more. When someone gets substantially less, the manufacturer hides behind the clause "mileage may vary."

I am seeking a lawyer who will gather a group of Ford owners who have substantially less mileage than the sticker, who are driving in normal conditions. (It will do no good if you tow a vehicle, drive the Grape Vine every day with the A/C on or other such things.)

See the Following Links Recently Found: There is a winnable legal solution

SUV Gas Mileage Lawsuit Won

Hybrid MPG Lawsuit

I am getting 12.6 mpg - 13.2 COMBINED, AFTER A FULL TANK of 75% city and 25% highway. That's COMBINED mileage by any math. The best tank I ever got was after 85% freeway at 15.5 mpg. My math is done with a calculator by how miles driven to the gallons used.

There has to be a point where the manufacturer can not stiff a buyer when the mileage is astronomically lower than posted. I have contacted the dealer and the manufacturer. I wrote a letter to the CEO and Chairman. A woman called from (313) 845-6232 and basically told me to "go pound sand." She said she represented the CEO directly. This is the type of service you will get from Ford. Hey Ford? Maybe this is why you and GM are going down in a ball of FAILURE. Hyundai, Toyota and other manufacturers are kicking the crap out of you. I wonder WHY? They live in the same world as you do. Have the same resources, have the same opportunities, have the same science and technology at their disposal. Yet you’re products are perceived as pieces of junk. When people give you a shot, a patriotic gesture, you tell them to “f*ck off” when you’re product is found to live up to your reputation? FORD, Chrysler and GM DESERVE to be bankrupt. They are a disgrace to this country.

Our 2003 Ford King Ranch F250 is literally falling apart. The front suspension is going, the air just went out, the sun roof has squeaked from day one, the body trim is rusting again after being replaced for rusting, and the rubber window moldings are literally disintegrating. 42,000 miles!!!

I asked the representative specifically, if I had gotten say, 8 mpg would they still tell me the same thing? QUOTE "YES." "We are not going to do anything about it whatsoever."

Background: I lease or buy 2 new cars PER YEAR and am a former dealer. I have personal ownership experience to talk from. Our 2008 Hyundai Veracruz AWD gets 14.5 city and 23 highway. We drive it exactly the same way, in the same area as the Edge. The Edge is 4,282lbs and the Veracruz is 4,431. Both have about the same exact HP.

Please note the following.

1. I drive every car exactly the same and have the same driving habits for 25 years. 2. I do tend to drive fast, but not tire squealing off the line drags. In fact, I drive as fast as everyone else around me. I keep up with traffic. Regardless, since I drive the same way in all vehicles, then there is no merit to the “mileage may vary” clause because I have already proven that no other car I have owned has had this discrepancy.

If my driving habits are the same form car to car, there is NO VALID CLAIM that it is driving habits causing the mileage, if none of the other cars I own or owned got less than the EPA on those particular vehicles.

3. I have owned at least 8 Mercedes Benz S500's from 1992 to 1998, of which with the same driving habits I got 13-14 city and 18-20 highway with a 300 + hp V8 hauling a block shaped 4,700lbs. I'd like you to repeat reading the specs and MPG I got with 8 separate S500's and then explain how a modern V6 carrying less weigh is even CAPABLE of getting under 13mpg?

4. I recently ended my lease on an 07' BMW 300hp 335i twin turbo sedan auto which I never once got less than 17.8 combined end of tank miles. I drove that machine HARD. I got 26-32 highway when going to Vegas.

5. I had a V8 BMW Wagon that I got 15 city and 24 highway and that car weighed 3,880lbs. running an old style V8.

The manufacturers of a vehicle must be held accountable to their product specifications. No one can sell a house with an Ocean view where the buyer walks out one day and it's nothing but roof tops and telephone poles. That’s called FRAUD and it says LAWSUIT all over it.

A pair of shoes that have the soles melt on hot asphalt would not be tolerated and neither should wild claims about MPG.

In fact Fords main advertising feature on this vehicle is the mpg! False advertising is against the law. Period. The bottom line is that a manufacturer cannot be able to fraudulently entice buyers to buy a product that does not even remotely perform as advertised. This is nothing different than a construction company buying a tractor that is supposed to be able to pull 25,000 lbs and the engine seizes at 12,000 lbs. There is NO difference.

Edited by CliffsEdge

Just filled up today... $3.45/gallon to my amazement! Anyway, last tank averaged 19.2MPG with an Average speed of 37MPH. Best has been 21 all highway. Just broke 5000 miles on the ride home. Going in for its first oil change as per the dealers instruction and Im asking the dealer to use Synthetic oil. Hoping that helps.

CliffsEdge, It sounds like you have a great point. Perhaps a lemon return or something. Ours is now regularly getting about 24-25 all hwy but only if it stays in 6th gear. If you have any sort of head wind, you can kiss that away to about 19-21. Your problem sounds horrible!! I hope you get it worked out.

Make sure the tires are inflated to at least 35 psi and change the air filter. Check for obstructions in the air inlet. Make sure the shifter is always in D and the O/D cancel is not selected. Use the display to reset both your avg mpg and avg mph, then drive your normal route. Report the avg mpg and avg mph at the end of the test run. It would also help if you could reset and check the mpg on a flat stretch of highway at 65 mph for at least 3-5 miles.

The only way to prove to the dealership that something is wrong (if something is wrong) is to have someone from the dealership drive your vehicle and you follow in another Edge over a test loop, resetting the mpg at the beginning and comparing them at the end. They should be almost identical. If there is a big difference then that would prove something is wrong.

If not then it's simply your driving style and route. The EPA numbers have NEVER been indicative of the mileage you should EXPECT on a vehicle unless you drive the exact same route as the EPA test. And 99.9% of the time the reason for poor mileage is the driver's right foot or driving conditions.

I can get anywhere from 15-24 mpg in my Fusion on my daily commute depending on how many traffic lights I catch green and how much stop-n-go I encounter.

Make sure the tires are inflated to at least 35 psi and change the air filter. Check for obstructions in the air inlet. Make sure the shifter is always in D and the O/D cancel is not selected. Use the display to reset both your avg mpg and avg mph, then drive your normal route. Report the avg mpg and avg mph at the end of the test run. It would also help if you could reset and check the mpg on a flat stretch of highway at 65 mph for at least 3-5 miles.

The only way to prove to the dealership that something is wrong (if something is wrong) is to have someone from the dealership drive your vehicle and you follow in another Edge over a test loop, resetting the mpg at the beginning and comparing them at the end. They should be almost identical. If there is a big difference then that would prove something is wrong.

If not then it's simply your driving style and route. The EPA numbers have NEVER been indicative of the mileage you should EXPECT on a vehicle unless you drive the exact same route as the EPA test. And 99.9% of the time the reason for poor mileage is the driver's right foot or driving conditions.

I can get anywhere from 15-24 mpg in my Fusion on my daily commute depending on how many traffic lights I catch green and how much stop-n-go I encounter.

I'm not meaning to sound rude, but you couldn't (nor Dave-M) have this response if you'd read what I'd said in its entirety.

1. I already accounted for "lead foot" ad nauseium in about 6 different places in great detail, so this is not a valid point or theory.

2. I have also stated I am a former dealer and have owned literally dozens of cars, with one of the West Coasts best mechanics working as a partner for many years. I am well aware of tire pressure, dirty filters and other such things.

3. I cannot lemon it because they refuse to acknowledge there is something wrong in the first place. They are hiding behind the infamous "mileage may vary" which gives them a get out of jail free card.

4. Dave-M, I have already stated very clearly how I did the math. The math is the math. I don't even have an onboard MPG calculator, I have the SE.

Again, my intention is not to be rude. But I have seen how these types of questions derail a post into an entirely new direction because the replies to the original post have already been addressed.

My point and my wish is to challenge the extent that the manufacturer may take this law, in court.

Edited by CliffsEdge

I'm not meaning to sound rude, but you couldn't (nor Dave-M) have this response if you'd read what I'd said in its entirety.

1. I already accounted for "lead foot" ad nauseium in about 6 different places in great detail, so this is not a valid point or theory.

2. I have also stated I am a former dealer and have owned literally dozens of cars, with one of the West Coasts best mechanics working as a partner for many years. I am well aware of tire pressure, dirty filters and other such things.

3. I cannot lemon it because they refuse to acknowledge there is something wrong in the first place. They are hiding behind the infamous "mileage may vary" which gives them a get out of jail free card.

4. Dave-M, I have already stated very clearly how I did the math. The math is the math. I don't even have an onboard MPG calculator, I have the SE.

Again, my intention is not to be rude. But I have seen how these types of questions derail a post into an entirely new direction because the replies to the original post have already been addressed.

My point and my wish is to challenge the extent that the manufacturer may take this law, in court.

Hello CliffsEdge. :D This reply is only in response to what you stated in #3 above: Perhaps the processes have changed since you were involved in a Dealership. As an FYI, the process of having a vehicle declared defective under the "Lemon Law" is not begun by Ford or the Dealer. The process is initiated by you, the customer. It is up to you to read your "Warranty Guide" Booklet and begin the process of filing the proper paperwork. You need to carefully read your "Warranty Guide" booklet, which was given to you when you purchased the vehicle (Note: The "Warranty Guide" not the "Owners Manual" or "Maintenance Schedule")

Your first step is to initiate a claim through the "BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU (BBB) AUTO LINE PROGRAM". This is an arbitration program that is set up to assist Ford Customers who feel that they are not getting a satisfactory response through the Dealer and Ford. Any decisions made by the BBB Auto Line program are binding on Ford, but not on you. In other words, if you do not like the decision made by the BBB, you can still go ahead and start Lemon Law proceedings, or your class action lawsuit.

However, you need to understand that if you are still not satisfied then you would begin Lemon Law procedures. The Dealer and Ford do not begin the process, you must. You are the one not satisfied, they feel they are correct at the moment. To ask them to voluntarily start the procedure is like asking someone to hire the lawyer to sue them self. It is just not the way it is done.

If you can not find your Warranty Guide, you can download a PDF version here:

LINK: Warranty Guides

Hover your cursor over the blue "Maintenance" banner, then click on "Owners Manuals". Fill in the drop down boxes then click submit. Click on "Warranty Guides".

Look in the table of contents for the "BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU (BBB)AUTO LINE PROGRAM" and the Lemon Law advisories.

Again, perhaps this process has changed since you were involved in a Dealership.

I am not making a judgment on your complaints, just trying to show you how to take care of it in the proper manner.

Edited by bbf2530

I appreciate it, thank you! I know about the Lemon law though. If you can excuse... er.. my rant.... to the gentelman below.... you'll see that I have succesfully fought and won a few times under this law.

In any case, the only thing I really want done is the MPG fixed. I don't want Ford to give me a new car, give me a stack of cash, or anything else. I am shocked over their response and not too happy about a middle finger being given me.

Hi CliffsEdge. :D Please take a deep breath, set aside your anger for a few minutes and re-read my previous reply. Whether intentionally or accidentally, you skipped right over the information I provided concerning the BBB Auto Line Arbitration Program. I am sure it was an accidental oversight, but if you really want assistance, please do not pick and choose what advice you will acknowledge.

No offense to you or anyone here, but it does not matter how many Lemon Law battles someone claims they won, cars they forced Dealers or Manufacturers to take back, or any other great stories that may be told. You are posting here because you are not winning this one, right?

There is a correct set of procedures already in place for you to use if you are not happy. And if you are as familiar with legal procedure as you say you are, you should understand that following the proper procedures will get you much further than screaming "lawsuit".

Well, until now you are not availing yourself of the tools and procedures available to assist you in accomplishing what you are asking for, which is to get your "MPG fixed".

I introduced you to the BBB Auto Line Program which is explained in detail in the Warranty Guide Booklet which you received when you purchased your Edge, and even provided a link to a Ford website which would allow you to download a copy of your Warranty Guide in case you lost yours.

The "BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU (BBB) AUTO LINE PROGRAM" is set up exactly for the purpose of allowing unsatisfied customers (such as yourself) to have their complaints heard by a third party arbitrator. And again, the decision made by the Arbitration Board is binding on Ford and the Dealer, but not you. So it is a no lose proposition. The BBB Auto Line Program is not the Lemon Law. It allows an unsatisfied customer to be heard and subsequently require Ford/The Dealer to address the customers unresolved concerns. It is essentially the last step before the Lemon Law.

You may not be as familiar with these proceedings as you think. Read your Warranty Guide booklet, follow the instructions for remediation, then let us know what happened.

Also, please re-read what you previously posted: "3. I cannot lemon it because they refuse to acknowledge there is something wrong in the first place. They are hiding behind the infamous "mileage may vary" which gives them a get out of jail free card." That statement shows that you are either not as familiar with the "Lemon Law" as you think, or you seriously misspoke.

Again, you (the customer) initiate the "Lemon Law" process. It does not matter whether the manufacturer disagrees and says nothing is wrong. If having the Manufacturer agree there was a problem was a prerequisite for Lemon Law status, no Lemon Law proceeding would ever make it to Arbitration. Who is right will be decided by the Lemon Law Arbitration Board. Ford and the Dealer can not stop you from initiating the proceedings if you desire to.

And I understand that you now say you prefer not to "Lemon Law" your vehicle. I carefully read your reply and understand that the "Lemon Law" is not your first choice of solutions. However, if your car can not be fixed to your satisfaction, it may be your only choice for remediation.

Following the proper course of action that is specifically described in the "Warranty Guide" would certainly seem to make more sense than having an Internet argument with those who possibly may not agree with you? We can all post great stories of our past and present job titles, legal battles, family connections etc, etc (or ad nauseum, as you stated). When it comes down to it, everyone here will believe your stories just as much as you will believe ours. Essentially, it is all Internet BS.

And just to make this clear, I am not attacking you. I would also not expect anyone on the Internet to believe or care if I were to start telling them how important I, my family, or my friends may or may not be.

I am simply stating the obvious. You must avail yourself of the tools available. And no one believes or cares about the rest of the stories, just as you would not be foolish enough to believe any BS we told you about our alleged life experiences. Does it matter or do you really care if me, my Father, or my good friends are corporate lawyers? Well, that feeling goes both ways. It is useless information, whether it is true or not (I am not judging whether it is true or isn't, does not matter, do not care).

I am not attempting to hold you to any higher of a standard than myself or others should be held to. You need to follow the process set in place (and explained in your Warranty Guide). Otherwise you are just another individual yelling Lawyer and Lawsuit, and most people are turned off by that behavior, as you should know. So I hope you will take the time to read your Warranty Guide Booklet and follow the advice contained in it. Follow the proper steps and hopefully your problems will be resolved to your satisfaction.

When someone is providing solid advice and earnestly trying to help you, you should take that advice.

Edited by bbf2530