GAS MILEAGE SUCKS

CremeBrulee08

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a new 2008 Edge on July 6th... I really dissappointed in the gas mileage......it's really bad ...anyone else have this problem??

Ā 

How bad is it? My wife's 2008 Edge is only a month old. She got terrible mileage on the first full tank and since then it is getting better each tank. I talked to my salesman, who I also know personally, and he said it will take a little while to "break-in". The gas mileage should keep improving. I don't know if we will ever get 24 MPG but we are at around 20 MPG now.

with combined driving we struggle to get it to 20mpg. it's heavy, it's awd, i think the sticker said 16/24 so i figure we're getting about right w/ combined driving. still love it though.

This thread makes me wonder if the 3.5 EcoBoost will get any better mileage. Any thoughts????

2007 MKX with 6,500 miles. Just drove 710 miles and got 26.8 MPG. Speed limit with speed control. Before we hit the mountains, it was 28.9 MPG.

Ā 

Turned off the speed control going up hills and kept the RPM's under 2,500. One of the rules is keep it in 6th gear as much as possible.

Ā 

In town, we are lucky to average over 20 MPG, but most drives are less than 3 miles.

Ā 

Brakes are the enemy - dead loss. Anticipate lights and try to avoid stopping. Don't worry about the fools behind you - you are helping them save fuel also. :reading:

My 2008 AWD is great ... don't use gasoline with ethanol ... makes a difference!

Ā 

Wednesday drove from Toronto to a village called Oro to pick up a 12' Starcraft aluminum boat with a 7' utility trailer which was 65 miles away. Drive is not straight highway ... has a detour through a few smaller cities and I had the AC on. Drove up, picked up the boat and mounted it upside down on the trailer. Drove back home and got 28 MPG to Imperial gallon!!! Not bad. I now have 10,000 Kilometers on the Edge ... mileage WILL get better!!!

This thread makes me wonder if the 3.5 EcoBoost will get any better mileage. Any thoughts????

Ā 

How would a 340 hp twin turbo 3.5l engine get better mileage than the same engine without the twin turbos?

Ā 

The 3.5L Ecoboost engine will get better mileage than a V8 that puts out the same power. It's not supposed to get better mileage than the NA version of the same engine.

How would a 340 hp twin turbo 3.5l engine get better mileage than the same engine without the twin turbos?

Ā 

The 3.5L Ecoboost engine will get better mileage than a V8 that puts out the same power. It's not supposed to get better mileage than the NA version of the same engine.

That is one train of thought. However with the direct injection metering precise amounts into each cylinder, combined with the variable valve timing and the high cylinder pressure assuring complete combustion it might be at least the same. Add to that the old adage of a more powerful engine getting better mileage because it is not workig as hard and, all things considered, it might at least get the same mileage. It will be interesting to find out when the 2010 models come out. My fear is that they might not offer the 3.5 EB and just go with the 2.0 EB that gets about the same power as the NA 3.5.

The Mileage with our 2007 SEL Plus AWD has been getting constantly better.

Ā 

At first it was pretty tough.

Ā 

Now sitting with 12,000 miles and one year under her belt things are looking up.

Ā 

My mileage over the last 4 tanks has been approx 21.5 US MPG (10.4-10.8l/100km) across highway, city and country driving with the AC on all the way.

We now have 4400 miles on our Edge. Ave speed of 30 mph on a mix of hwy and city driving. We are currently at 18.9 mpg.

Ā 

Ā 

You cannot get the best MPG until you get into 6th gear - about 44 mph? If your driving is 30 mph avg, you are a candidate for a Hybrid. Make mine a Mariner please. :happy feet:

You cannot get the best MPG until you get into 6th gear - about 44 mph? If your driving is 30 mph avg, you are a candidate for a Hybrid. Make mine a Mariner please. :happy feet:

Ā 

No thank you! We're happy with our Edge. The 3.5 V6 Saturn Vue we sold was only slightly better averaging 20 mpg.

Ā 

30 is fairly high - mine stays at 25 mph on my daily 11 mile commute - mostly 45-50 mph with several traffic lights and a couple of stop signs. It doesn't take much stop-n-go or idling at traffic lights to take a 50 mph average down to 25.

We now have 4400 miles on our Edge. Ave speed of 30 mph on a mix of hwy and city driving. We are currently at 18.9 mpg.

Ā 

Wow... freaky... I have 4424 on my Edge. Averaging 30 mph w/ mix hwy and city and currently avg of 18.9 mpg. You driving my Edge??!? HA!!!

Ā 

I know it has been chatted to death on here but did notice a big difference (almost 2 mpg) between a tank of gas from Wal-Mart, which was 10% Ethanol and the current tank which does not (or at least doesn't advertise) have the Ethanol mix. Right at 17 with the Wally-world E-mix and now back up to about 19 without the E-mix...

New guy here. Got my wife an 08 last Nov. to date 12,250 miles on it. Very happy with both ride and space. Got out of an 04 Exploder Limited w/V8 AWD into this 08 Limited AWD, and power is right there, and the Edge has more room between drivers and backseat has more room for the kids too.

Have a very easy all highway commute of 50 miles roundtrip a day and have yet to see over 18mpg's.

Yes, 2 different drivers, 2 different styles of driving. While I like to cruise above the speed limit, the wife is content just keeping with traffic.

Thought it would be a bit better, Explorer was about the same. Either way, we are happy with it, with one exception, the Sync system. But i'll save it for another thread.

I also have been happy with the gas milage so far. Got almost 3000 miles on the new Edge and it's holding around 23 mpg. That's city and highway driving. I would think a lot to do with the mileage would be each persons particular driving style. Easy off the stop lights and no hard acceleration. Like I said holding at just over 23.

Well everyone i must say that i was right there with everyone else with the poor gas milage for the first 3,000 miles or so on my new edge. I was averaging only 17-18 mpg's. Now that it has broken in i am getting 22-23mpg in my 50-60 mile commute, both highway and city mix. Getting just over 400 miles to the tank and i dont driver it all the way to E. Anyway everyone that just bought thiers give it some time to break in, youll be pleased. I also see a big difference in what kind of gas i put in. Mobil and Shell get the best gas milage ive found even better than the BP they suggest. If you put the cheap wal-mart or checker or marathon gas in i got 5-6 miles per gallon less. Just an FYI?

After 12,000 miles, it's broken in. Been in the Auto business all my life, and there was never a dramatic difference in mileage after a vehicle reaches a certain "mile marker". Yes, oil consumption is one thing, but gas mileage is another. I highly doubt this vehicle will ever get the as advertised fuel mileage. They never do.

But like I said earlier, ride and comfort is great, just not stoked about the mileage, thought it would be better than my old V8 Exploder.... :headspin:

Tippy-I might be mistaken but I believe that Ford advertises the Edge will get 19 City and 24 Highway. On a recent trip I averaged a little over 24 mpg and that was mostly highway driving. I checked my mileage again this morning and I'm still getting better than 23 and now it's more in town, although I do expect it to go down driving around town, but I'd even be happy with 19. I still say it's got a lot to do with the way one drives that determines the mileage we get.

Tippy-I might be mistaken but I believe that Ford advertises the Edge will get 19 City and 24 Highway. On a recent trip I averaged a little over 24 mpg and that was mostly highway driving. I checked my mileage again this morning and I'm still getting better than 23 and now it's more in town, although I do expect it to go down driving around town, but I'd even be happy with 19. I still say it's got a lot to do with the way one drives that determines the mileage we get.

Ā 

Ā 

Blueice, I agree. Driving style is one thing, but when it comes to advertised mpg's, all the manufacturers never seem to be on the money. This vehicle has almost 10,000 highway miles, and never once have I gotten over 350-360 miles out of a tank......oh well, just time to suck it up and live with it.

Still a great vehicle. :rockon:

I have been buying my gas at Costco here in Naples, FL. A few months ago there gas pumps started advetising 10% ethanol. My gas mileage dropped form 19 to 17 around town with some highway mixed in.

Ethanol is for the birds but the tree huggers love it.

I am going to try Shell or Mobile and check the difference. Also the on board gas computer is not accurate and tends to inflate the mileage. The only accurate method is to divide actual gas usage into actual mileage.

I have been buying my gas at Costco here in Naples, FL. A few months ago there gas pumps started advetising 10% ethanol. My gas mileage dropped form 19 to 17 around town with some highway mixed in.

Ethanol is for the birds but the tree huggers love it.

I am going to try Shell or Mobile and check the difference. Also the on board gas computer is not accurate and tends to inflate the mileage. The only accurate method is to divide actual gas usage into actual mileage.

Ā 

The computer has been tested numerous times to be within 0.5 mpg - that's pretty accurate. Of course you must reset it at the beginning of the test.

No man its just you!! Try reseting the computer when your going down a big hill!! Try that!! Or just travel when the winds are behind you!! Pump your tires up until they are like the Flintstone tires

Ā 

Ā 

Ok Mooseman, I think you have established yourself as a true hater. We have read your comments on several threads and they all say the same nonsense. We are happy that you have solved your gas mileage dilemma. So now that you have a new vehicle, go to that cars forum and hate over there and stop trying to justify your stupidity for selling a vehicle and not getting true value out of it in this forum. :doh: