Performance measurement: Race track VS Dragy

Any person who has tuned their vehicle wants to see and feel performance. 

There are 3 basic ways to do it:

1. Go to NHRA race track 

2. Buy a Vbox

3. Buy Dragy 

For this comparison I am using the $150 Dragy from www.godragy.com and comparing it to Island Dragway NJ NHRA certified system. 

21 runs were made with no cool down, engine running. Gas used: e35 blend

Vehicle: Livernois tuned Lincoln Continental 3.0 (the only Continental probably in the world that races) 

Please absorb the data and ask any questions you want, slower times were the result of decreased tire pressure. The goal is to watch difference between Dragy and track and not me ripping my hair out thinking how I went from 12.7 to a 12.9...

FB_IMG_1561770703395.jpg

FB_IMG_1561770706876.jpg

FB_IMG_1561770712222.jpg

FB_IMG_1561770716500.jpg

20190622_092725.jpg

• Like 3

3 basic items to focus on:

1. 60ft (quality of your launch) 

2. 1/8 mile (middle performance) 

3. 1/4 mile (this is where your car heats up and rate of acceleration slows down) 

The columns are sorted based on the 3 items above plus delta on the 1/4 mile time. Subtle excel column labels show you which is which. 

Edited by 037
  • Like 2

Made 10 runs @ 105 octane and pretty mucg convinced race gas is a waste of $ compared to mixing e85. Assuming your fuel pump can take the heat. 

Used 93 octane and race-gas additive. About 4-5 gallons in tank + 32oz.

30 miles shown left in tank when started and 14 when leaving. 

Screenshot_20190630-151025_dragy.jpg

Screenshot_20190630-152341_dragy.jpg

Screenshot_20190630-123624_TRC.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Yes I see that now my bad.  I do believe that snmjim or Special_K will hit 110 or more very soon in their Monster Edge Sport. It is just a matter of time. 

I certainly hope so considering how much time and $ is invested in all the first things they are doing with the platform. Hopefully my ethanol and race gas testing will help them focus on a tuning direction that will yield the best results. 

• 3 months later...

Not sure but I think it was a 12 ft  drop over 221 ft if I read that correctly . I do have a 93 tune available but that’s a far cry from a race gas tune . No 93 around here anyway . I can get 100 VP but why pay $9 a gal if I don’t have a tune for it. So I run 91 with a 91 tune. ** The 0-60 MPH (1ft ) was 4.29s

Edited by Xtra

• 1 year later...

Just bring a post up to date. I have a Dragy and just used it on my 2019 Ford Edge ST. Stone stock with 11k miles. 

Dragy showed to be .06 slower in ET and .30 on the trap speed compared to the dragstrip up here in Albuquerque. This was pretty consistent on every run. 

The Dragy showed the DA way higher than the actual DA. Last night it showed 10k when it was actually 8.2k. Altitude was pretty much right on. 

It reminds me of the old days in the early 90s when I had a Vericom VC 2000 accelerometer. Different animal as it used G Force along with math. It was pretty close too but more accurate with sticky tires. MPH was dead on.