Apple CarPlay for 2016 Edge?

Welcome to Edge ownership!

First, make sure you're on Sync version 3 with your head unit.  If your unit has never been updated you can go to ford.com, register then navigate to the Sync3 area and download the update.  Follow the instructions for unzipping files to a USB drive for the update.  Forget trying to update via Wifi. 

Once you're sure you're running the correct software in the Edge you'll have to update your USB hubs in the center console.  There's a YouTube video explaining that here:

Edited by Gadgetjq

10 minutes ago, mlaginess said:

You may not have to update the usb's.  My 2016 just needed the software update from Ford.

I'm sure that'll be welcome news to the OP if it works....but...every post I've seen in this and other Edge forums has indicated a USB change is necessary for IOS and CarPlay to work with Sync3 in the '16 Edge.  Only for Android Auto users has the system been ready to go as soon as Sync is updated to V3. 

Keep us updated JMVDude!

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! I suppose I will try an update first, can’t hurt right?

a few quick questions:

-the video mentions you should do it when you’re replacing your “api (?)” since you’ll already have the dash apart; what is that?

-does anyone have links to the correct USB hub part, or a correct part number? I don’t want to accidentally get the same thing again. 

-any tips on pulling the dash apart? I’m definitely not eager to break anything and introduce unnecessary rattles into the cabin. 

Thanks!

If you have a small tool or small enough fingers the easiest way to pull the usb hub is remove the top, side panel along the right side of the center console and then you can see the body of the USB hub assembly.  Reach in and press the bottom release tab on the hub and push up the hub out at the same time and it will come right out.  No need to pull the entire console apart.  I should add I am going from memory here...you may need to pop out the lower side panel a bit too.

Edited by jmr061
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I finaly found the solution! and want to sharew it here .

i have 2016 Edge and updated the synce SW using usb stick, but that didnt give Carplay...after relly extensive research i learened that even if i was able to gewt the system up to version 3 the navigation would not work for me as maps for israel arew not available.

so i have ordered the upgrade kit for Synce 3.4  from Amazon, and it work great, all the controls work and supported and i am very happy with it, took me well over an hour to get it  done, as i do not have any experience with removing all the parts to get access to the screen.

i have replaced the  screen and the module that comes with it.

the sound is so much bettr now when i have my Iphone connected by cable.

the kit was great, comes with all the tools needed for the process, and the video from 4dteck ( shared abouve) was vey helpfull as it takes you step by step through the process.

If you have a 206 and cannot get Carplay on your system, thats the only way i found to get it.

i was very sceptical and it was sent from Chaina and here werent to many reviewes on Amazon, but i am very happy with it now.

here is a link to the system i got installed om my car:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0891ZRR9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

good luck! dont give  up!

• Thanks 1

I finally found the solution! and want to share it here .

i have 2016 Edge and updated the sync SW using usb stick, but that didn't give Carplay...after really extensive research i learned that even if i was able to get the system up to version 3 the navigation would not work for me as maps for Israel are not available.

My Ford came with Sync 2 and according the owner site it cannot be upgraded to Sync 3.

so i have ordered the upgrade kit for Synce 3.4  from Amazon, and it work great, all the controls work and supported and i am very happy with it, took me well over an hour to get it  done, as i do not have any experience with removing all the parts to get access to the screen.

i have replaced the  screen and the module that comes with it.

the sound is so much better now when i have my iPhone connected by cable.

the kit was great, comes with all the tools needed for the process, and the video from 4dteck ( shared above) was vey helpful as it takes you step by step through the process.

If you have a 2016 and cannot get Carplay on your system, that's the only way i found to get it.

i was very skeptical and it was sent from Chaina and here weren't to many reviews on Amazon, but i am very happy with it now.

here is a link to the system i got installed om my car:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0891ZRR9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

good luck! dont give  up!

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...