Finally, new wheels and tires.

Tacyon

I'm one of those angst purchasers. When I decide I want something, I research it for months, mull it around in my head. Worry about the cost and if I'll realize the value of it. So, finally I pulled the trigger on my 2nd Edge upgrade to aftermarket wheels and new tires.

(4) Empire Verde in matte graphite silver + a needed new set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde plus.  I know that there has been a lot of negative opinions of the stock Pirelli Scorpion's but these are the next model up and they've improved the compounding and tread pattern a few times hence the "Plus v3".  I've been thru several sets on my first 2011 Edge Limited AWD and this is the 3rd set on my 2013 Edge Limited AWD.

The wheels were the "angst" part of this purchase. I don't care for chrome and everyone does black. Didn't want 5 spokes, didn't want "turbine" bike spokes. These are everything in between all that and since beautiful is in the eye of the beholder, I love em!

I still have the OEM rims that are in good shape if anyone is interested. If not, they're going to host my winter skins (Chicagoland winters) I left them skinless with the TPMS sensors still attached so pick out winter rubber (BFG Advantage T/A's ??) and I'm good to go.

IMG_1054.thumb.jpg.b223b6702748c594161c694862cc8f28.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tacyon said:

I'm one of those angst purchasers. When I decide I want something, I research it for months, mull it around in my head. Worry about the cost and if I'll realize the value of it. So, finally I pulled the trigger on my 2nd Edge upgrade to aftermarket wheels and new tires.

(4) Empire Verde in matte graphite silver + a needed new set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde plus.  I know that there has been a lot of negative opinions of the stock Pirelli Scorpion's but these are the next model up and they've improved the compounding and tread pattern a few times hence the "Plus v3".  I've been thru several sets on my first 2011 Edge Limited AWD and this is the 3rd set on my 2013 Edge Limited AWD.

The wheels were the "angst" part of this purchase. I don't care for chrome and everyone does black. Didn't want 5 spokes, didn't want "turbine" bike spokes. These are everything in between all that and since beautiful is in the eye of the beholder, I love em!

I still have the OEM rims that are in good shape if anyone is interested. If not, they're going to host my winter skins (Chicagoland winters) I left them skinless with the TPMS sensors still attached so pick out winter rubber (BFG Advantage T/A's ??) and I'm good to go.

IMG_1054.thumb.jpg.b223b6702748c594161c694862cc8f28.jpg

Your wheels look great!

Next on my list of needed maintenance/about time for change out are the brakes.

On my 2011 I'd ordered a set of slotted and cross drilled rotors and new calipers. When they arrived, I used my die grinder with a abrasive pad on it to remove all the flashing from the casting process and other gross irregularities then obtained this G2 kit  and painted them. I did this partly because the cast flashing was going to mess with my zen and no one offered ready power coated calipers for the Edge. This time around, I located a local shop that would power coat them for $25 ea if I prep'd them.

However ... Power Stop now has these and this saves me some money and time. I'll just have to deal with my zen over the castings not being smooth.

Full set front and rear with carbon fiber/ceramic pads and slotted/cross drilled rotors from Rockauto is a few drinks under 7 bills. 175/corner .. not bad.

I'll update photos once that lil project is completed.

Update: got some time (and cooperating weather) this weekend to install. I'd really like to go with big brakes. Larger rotors and 4/6 piston brakes .. but, meh .. It's not a X5 with a V8

HEY, reminds me, I was a bit surprised to find (or not find as the case was) no rear brake harmonic dampeners. The bolts didn't even have the threaded stud to attached it to had I had a pair (of harmonic dampeners)

Was this not a thing on 2013 Limited AWD's ?

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

Edited by Tacyon
adding pics
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...