Hands free lift gate issue 2019

Evelyn

Looking for a way to turn off the hands free lift gate.  Lift gate came down on 83 year old mother while her and I were both in the cargo area getting into our cooler. We must have activated the hands free lift to close.   I heard it chime, then saw it coming down on both of us.  I pushed her out of the way and pushed it up manually which was hard.  The manual states not to have key fob in area so this doesn't happen.  That is ridiculous. 

I have a used 2016 Edge that has the same option and problem.

You can turn off the elecric lift gate under the vehicle settings in the instrument cluster.  Or you can probably have the dealer or someone who knows cars disconnect the sensor, it's behind the rear bumper.   Even if the hatch comes down on you, it won't do much harm as it will bounce back if it detects pressure.  I understand not wanting it to hit your mother especially, but just know it's not going to hurt anyone at least.

• Like 2

Unfortunately disabling the liftgate switch in the "Vehicle Settings" menu (left display) turns off the motor up/down function completely via either button or the foot display (I just tried it) so that's probably not going to work for you. 

As DaMiFo already suggested your only option appears to be getting under the Edge and disconnecting the sensor. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 7:17 AM, todd92 said:

You have to stick your foot pretty far under the bumper and swipe it sideways to activate the hatch.  Pretty much impossible to do while leaning into the hatch area.

Not true on my 2016. I just have to stick my foot near the bumper and it'll start on