Initial thoughts on ‘19 Edge ST

Jombi

Hi, I’m just sharing my thoughts on the ST, and wondering if others have similar experiences/thoughts.

I chose the ST for the 2.7 EcoBoost.  It’s definitely an impressive engine.  I was aware of the general reviews and 0-60 specs, etc, so I wasn’t expecting a race car, but for a ~4400 lb car it really moves well.  I’m coming from a Hyundai Tucson Sport, and that was truly an underpowered car—passing a truck on a 2-lane highway required a few miles clear road and a lot of ramp-up time to build speed.  This Edge inspires total confidence in such maneuvers! The acceleration is more than ample, but less than vicious.

I didn’t get the big tire/brake package, I think that was about 5k, and to me the stock 20” tires are fine and the stock braking is excellent.  

The 8-speed shifts slow, which seems to be a common thing with many newer cars.  The paddle shifters aren’t very responsive either, and I t’ll override the “paddle mode” and upshift for you a bit too early, well before redline.  It seems the paddles are more of a “suggestion” to the transmission rather than a control input.  I imagine there are ECU tunes that could help in that area but for me it’s not worth the risk of warranty issues.  For normal driving the tranny is just fine, though not great.

The cabin is very quiet when you are just cruising, but I’m not thrilled with the sound at hard acceleration.  I’ve read that it’s either artificial or altered somehow with noise-canceling tech, I’ll have to research how to disable whatever magic they’ve got going on there.

I really love the overall styling, it’s very well done, and not overdone.  My one small gripe styling-wise is the shape of the exhaust tips, oddly trapezoidal.

No snow yet so can’t comment on the AWD, but I expect it’ll be fine.

So those are my initial thoughts, all subject to change as time goes on but I’m really happy to have such a great looking and capable crossover!

Jim

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 1:01 PM, Tronjo said:

I agree with all your observations.  About the exhaust tips: Maybe you may find these more acceptable if they were black,  somewhere in the ST forum I saw pictures of such.     

Edit:

I actually took my own advice from my rough-framing days: Measure twice, cut once.  There is more room than I thought and I ordered the parts yesterday.  I’ll post a pic when I get time to install them.

** edit out—I looked and looked, and most of the ones online are 8" long or longer.  The way the muffler is set longitudinally back there,  the 90 deg bends on either side only leave 4" room to the back edge of the back bumper, so the tips could only be slightly longer than 4", because the 90 Deg bend is right there.  I'll keep looking there has to be something...**

Edited by Jombi

• 1 month later...

Agree with your observations.

So far loving the Edge ST. Tons of room. traded in a 2016 Focus Titanium .

Had my 540 HP, 2007 Shelby GT500 Convertible  totaled after getting hit from behind at 80K from a  texting driver. Put some  cash towards the Edge.

20" wheels, 401A package, Titanium White. 

Put 18" Aluminum rims and Blizzaks on it for winter. 6" of snow, no issues at all. Handles amazingly in the snow.

Only complaint, the steering  wheel heater is too hot. Have to turn off after a few minutes as it just gets too hot on the bare hands. Needs a way to reduce temperature.

Seats get very hot on 3 but can be reduced down to 1 which is better.

Overall, love the vehicle,  I am doing the dual horn upgrade in the spring, will also replace horn relay  to compensate for the additional current draw of the second horn.

• 3 weeks later...

New owner of a '19 ST in White Platinum. Stock wheels and brakes, which seem very adequate.

Love:

• Moonroof/Sunroof
  • Interior quality and fit and finish
  • Engine performance
  • Seats extremely comfortable
  • Aluminum pedals and nice ST touches
  • Fuel mileage seems better than my '14 Escape Eco Boost 4 banger (about 23mpg so far, overall)

Disappointments:

• Dash layout. Ford couldn't engineer a permanent Speedo/Tach/Fuel Gauge/Engine coolant combination for a Performance SUV?
    • Weird how the tach is digital and has to be scrolled to (unless tranny is switched to S mode)
    • The coolant gauge can be displayed but I've yet to figure out how the indicator works. Is it red, light blue?
  • Heated seats will roast you on #3 setting
  • Steering wheel is very hot initially but does turn down on its own after awhile.

Overall, it seems to be a very well made car. Hoping to do some light towing with it next year.

RPGR90s

4 hours ago, RPGR90s said:

Weird how the tach is digital and has to be scrolled to (unless tranny is switched to S mode)

You can enable a small vertical tach to be displayed next to the fuel gauge when the round tach is not selected. It should be under Settings>Display>Gauge Display.

• Like 1